REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UPLAND JOURNAL Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
Uplander

Winter Reading

oldredruff

I just finished, The Sweet of the Year, by Palmer Baker.  I read it every winter while switching my mind from bird hunting to fly fishing.  Nice easy read, about 130 pages, but the most sincere writing on Catskill trout fishing I have ever found.  Actually, it was introduced to me by a freind with like emotions about streams, fly casting and the solitude it affords.

Mike

I haven't read The Sweet of the Year but I have always been curious about it. It was highly recommended and expensive in the late 70's when I was just finding out about good books. There was a special edition of it done in 96. See the description below. A friend had a copy and it was one of the most unusual bindings I have ever seen. It was a very neat book.

If you like Catskill books, one of my favorites is

Neversink: One Angler's Intense Exploration of a Trout River by Wright. There is also a new anthology called The Legendary Neversink.

BAKER, R. PALMER, JR, The Sweet of the Year.

n.p: Kevin Begos, 1996. First edition, No. 67 of 250 copies, signed by author and illustrator. 4to. With eight tipped-in watercolor plates by Thomas Aquinas Daly. Set in Monotype Baskerville. Handbound in white handmade paper, incorporating leaves, over boards, beige cloth spine, printed labels on spine and upper cover, fine in publisher's green cloth slipcase. Bruns B-29 (first edition). ¶ Baker's lyrical, anecdotal essays (first published in 1965 and hailed by Bruns as "Lovely writing and a sweet book to read") on trout, bass, salmon, the joys of angling and of life, with Daly's evocative watercolors, in a beautifully printed and produced new book

StormsGSP

I'm a little late to this topic, but no one wants to read what I will have to this winter. In no particular order:

Introduction to Comparative Politics

Microeconomic Theory

On the Genealogy of Morals

Economic Justice for All

The gifts of the Jews- How a tribe of Desert Nomads Changed the way Everyone Thinks and Feels

Doing Faithjustice

Earthscience- Geoscience and Public Policy

The Republic

and any number of articles, excerpts and short stories.

Matt Crawford

no one wants to read what I will have to this winter

Not true, Alex. I've come to realize there's nothing like a little Nietzsche to brighten up a cold and snowy day.

Phred
The Republic is worth reading and re-reading.

Ben Hong
Alex, I paid my dues and did penance 45 years ago. :D

topdog1961

I like to read a lot of history, especially the WWII era.  I recently discovered in the attic a cache of old WWII books I read as a young teenager.  Some of them were old then, dating from the 50s and early 60s.  I am enjoying rereading them.  At least then we were united as a nation, knew who our friends and enemys were, and we were still portrayed as the good guys.  Unlike much of the revisionist crap being written now.  Examples recently read:

Rise and Fall of the Luftwaffe

Battle of Britan

Savo

Sink the Bismark

Samurai

Japanese Destroyer Captain

Guadalcanal Diary

Atlantic Raider

Marshal Cavendish Illustrated Encyclopedia of WWII (25 vols.)

Stonewall
I've just finished my third Gene Hill book, I really enjoy his writings.

PartridgeCartridge

Country Girls and Wet Lips

Dr. Mengele's Nursery School Rhymes

The Minority Guide to Yachting

The Pointing Dog Journal.

OH,... and McManus

erik meade
The Republic is worth reading and re-reading.

Suit yourself.

In my teach myself economics vein; volume one of "The Bastiat Collection". I then took a break from the serious for the third (in the translated series) of Pèrez-Reverte's Captain Alatriste novels, "The Sun Over Breda". I can recommend all of these so far, or anything by this author. Currently I am half way through the last volume of Rothbard's four volume history of colonial America, "Conceived in Liberty"; an excellent revisionist (i.e., truthful, non-court historian propaganda) take on the subject from a libertarian viewpoint.

Just picked up Lonesome Dove from the Library.  Have re-discovered the local library.

Ben Hong
Dr. Mengele's Nursery School Rhymes

Ouch!! Did he survive long enough to write a book? :ghostface:  :ghostface:

Briarscratch

I'm excited that "A Roaring in the Blood" by/about Robert F. Jones and edited by Annie Proulx is finally out.  It's on my April birthday wishlist.

In the meantime I'm reading "The Road" by Cormac McCarthy and "I Am Legend"  by Richard Matheson.

Neither are a good choice for this time of year since they're both set in a post-apocalyptic world.  I'll stick with "The Road" and save "Legend" for sunnier days.

And for Bernard Cornwell fans, the fourth book in the The Saxon Stories series.  I'm saving book three and four for vacation.  Assuming I can take one again someday.

M V McDonald

Just finished another good Catskill water's book, "My Side of the River" by Roger Menard.  Like "Sweet of the Year" that I referred to earlier, this is an easy read intended for the delicate nature of the fly fisherman - that's not a slam, simply a fact of the matter.  Menard explores many of the haloed waters where American Fly Fishing was born.  His descriptive pros pull you into the scene and make you part of his experience.  It will make April seem years away, yet as close as the next page.

Mike

KCShlly
I'm a third into "An Army at Dawn," Rick Atkinson's story of the invasion of North Africa and it is a fine example of big history woven in with personal histories.