Winter Reading

I just finished - Blind Your Ponies by Stanley G. West.

It's a great book I would recommend it to anyone looking for a distraction.  It takes place in Willow Creek, MT in the early '90s.

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Uplander

• N E Grouse Hunter

• oldredruff

Briarscratch

Just finished Cornwell's Saxon and Sharpe series.  It's kind of depressing, but I hear that he has more planned for both series down the road.

At B du B's suggestion I'm going to check out Edward Rutherfurd's "

Sarum".  I'm also looking into Steven Booth's rural noir crime novels set in rural England.  

Gotta feed the old noggin.

I just finished reading "The Historian" by Elizabeth Kostova.  It was a phenomenal novel: a story about a father (the historian), his daughter, and the legend of Dracula.  I've been reading a lot of non-fiction lately, so this was a nice break.  I would really recommend it.

Ditto the history. In the past couple of months I've read Panther in the Sky by Alexander Thom, about the life and times of the Shawnee chief Tecumseh, and then went on to From Sea to Shining Sea by the same author, about the Clark family, William Rogers Clark, George Rogers Clark, et al. Then someone here said they'd enjoyed Eisenhower by D'Estes, so I got that and his book on Patton. Couple more chapters in the Ike book and it's finished, but I'm taking a break after that to read some fantasy by RA Salvatore before I jump into Patton.

I could highly recommend all of the above books by the way.

FWIW, D'Estes is also supposed to have a book coming out of Churchill, too.

Just finished Cornwell's Saxon and Sharpe series.  It's kind of depressing, but I hear that he has more planned for both series down the road.

What's depressing?  The books and that you finished the series?

I have Sword Song waiting for me at the library.  I'll probably finish it in a day.  We're going on a cruise in two weeks.  I'm going to take the Arthur series with me.  I'll start Sharp after that.

I just finished Winterdance: The Fine Madness of Running the Iditarod by Gary Paulsen

I just started Lone Survivor: The Eyewitness Account of Operation Redwing and the Lost Heroes of SEAL Team 10 by Marcus Luttrell and Patrick Robinson

Jay

N E Grouse Hunter
I just finished Winterdance: The Fine Madness of Running the Iditarod by Gary Paulsen

I just started Lone Survivor: The Eyewitness Account of Operation Redwing and the Lost Heroes of SEAL Team 10 by Marcus Luttrell and Patrick Robinson

Jay

Lone Survivor was an excellent read. One of the best I've read this winter.

Gary Paulsen has done a whole series for young adults. I read, what I think, was his first adult book, although the title alludes me, I know I enjoyed it.

Briarscratch

What's depressing?  The books and that you finished the series?

I have Sword Song waiting for me at the library.  I'll probably finish it in a day.  We're going on a cruise in two weeks.  I'm going to take the Arthur series with me.  I'll start Sharp after that.

That I've finally finished the series!   I'm going to miss Sharpe and Uhtred.  At least until Cornwell comes out with another.

The Arthur series was exceptional.  Enjoy it.

I reread Dune for the first time in 30 years. It still holds up but I see more holes in it now that when I was a teen.

After finishing the Atkinson WW II book I mentioned earlier, I moved on to The Whispering Wings of Autumn by Gene Hill and Steve Smith, a collection mostly of woodcock essays, laced with a few grouse musings.

Even though each essay is signed at the end, it just takes just a graph or so to know which one is writing: Smith's a good outdoor journalist; Hill's a writing stylist -- a genius.

Rookie would like this read. I just got done with Randy White's "Black Widow".

Randy was a guide in the Sanibel Island area. So, some of the information deals with marinas and bays in that area. The thriller moves to different areas.