Winter Reading

I was rummaging through my old paperbacks and came across Persig's Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance. Still is a great book.
  • Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Uplander

• N E Grouse Hunter

• oldredruff

I was rummaging through my old paperbacks and came across Persig's Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance. Still is a great book.

In a weird coincidence, last night I was watching an episode of Northern Exposure (about 1/2 way through the series) where Chris is teaching Marilyn to drive and he talks about that book.  I haven't heard that title in about 15 years, and suddenly it pops up twice within a few hours.

Just read Wild at Heart. A member sent it to me after member Twice Barrel started a Topic on it earlier.

Really made me think about spirituality, fatherhood and life in general. I am still digesting it.

I just finished The Complete Adventures and Memoirs of Sherlock Holmes by A. Conan Doyle (reread for about the 10th time now), have just started The Three Musketeers, by Alexandre Dumas, and have The Generals of Saratoga; John Burgoyne & Horatio Gates, by Max Mintz waiting on deck.

box59.jpg

I finished this again last night.

All of Tom Kelly's books are classics. The best living hunting writer we have. He is 81.

I reread them every year or so. He has 2 new ones I need to get.

I have been working my way through Cormac McCarthy's Border Trilogy.  I became interested in his writing after reading No Country For Old Men.  Some of the dialogue reminded me of Borges who I have been a big fan of for decades.  I thought I had everything Borges had ever published in English or translated to English including number of his university lectures.  I was surprised when I found a volume I had not seen before yesterday.  It contains The Book of Sand and Shakespeare's Memory.  I believe I have come across the Book of Sand before but I have never read Shakespear's Memory.  Reading Borges again is like running into an old friend.

Dave

I finished the 1st of Ansel Adams 3 books on photography, The Camera and I've started on number 2 The Negative pretty heavy stuff.

I just re-read Orchid Fever by Eric Hannsen.  It's an insight into the world of Orchid hobbyist, growers, fanatics, and smugglers.  You think we get obsessed over dogs/birds/guns, you should take a gander at these folks.  It's a fun read.

I'm in the midst of re-reading Handy to Home by Tom Hennesey, and A Listening Walk by Gene Hill.

I've also started 3 or 4 other photography books and Dick Weaver's two books: Training your Pointing Dog for Hunting and Home and Grosue Dogs.

• 8 months later...

Well it's that time of year again. I remember getting some good ideas from this thread last winter and thought it worthwhile to drag back up.

So what have you on your reading schedule for this upcoming offseason? For me, since the Packers suck and will NOT be in the playoffs, and the heavy snow we have been getting, my "offseason" may be starting early.

Currently reading "Crazy Horse and Custer, The Parallel Lives of Two American Warriors" by Stephen Ambrose. (so far really great!)

On deck is a plan to finish "Men to Match My Mountains" by Irving Stone

(started that one last spring and just sort of lost interest, but I keep looking at it.........) Not sure after that, will depend on if and how much travelling I will have to do this winter.

How about you?

Just finished The Grapes of Wrath...we think we have it bad economically now. Give this classic a read if you really want to get depressed.

Currently reading Stick-Season Grouse by Ted Ross, not even sure where I got this one but has been easy reading as it is a collection of short stories.

Joe

Just finished The Last Centurian by John Ringo. Enjoyed it immensely even tho am not military. Set in the not too distant future, and written in blog style as a memoir from the point of a US soldier who was stuck in Iran (not Iraq) when the H5N1 bird flu then global cooling hits and follows his journey home and what happens when he gets there.

Before that I read The Charlemagne Pursuit By Steve Berry. If you like James Rollins or Clive Cussler you will likely enjoy Berry.

Have just started Dante's Numbers which is the 7th book of the Nic Costa series by David Hewson, a british mystery writer. The books take place in Italy and the main characters are Italian cops.

So what have you on your reading schedule for this upcoming offseason?

Finishing up the Hornblower series, and then A History of the Vikings, Superman: The Ultimate Guide to the Man of Steel, The Man-Eaters of Tsavo, and World Without End are all on deck.