Winter Reading

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Uplander

• N E Grouse Hunter

• oldredruff

I just finished the last of the Cornwell books.  I'm currently reading Born Fighting by James Webb.  The next series I'll read is the Hawke series by Ted Bell.

Out of the Blue: On Fishing at Sea (Hardcover)

by Chris Yates (Author)

(3 customer reviews)

I am most interested in seeing this English bass fishing book that I have coming. Yates is unknown in NA but he is an excellent writer. I think of him as Gierach's English counterpart in style. He is a coarse fisherman and wrote an excellent book called Casting at the Sun. He has not written on sea fishing before so it will be very interesting to see how he does. Most sea fishing books are how-to drek and I have high hopes this one will rescue the genre.

Others I would like to get a peek at follow

The Hunt for Big Stripers

by Zeno Hromin John Skinner Willam Muller Alberto Knie Steve Mckenna Bill Wetzel Manny Moreno Jimmy D'Amico (Author), Al Bentsen (Foreword)

Avg customer review:   (1)

The Art of Surfcasting with Lures

by Zeno Hromin (Author)

Avg customer review:   (9)

A Season on the Edge (Stories From a Surfcaster's Year)

by John Skinner (Author)

Avg customer review:   (2)

Elkheart: A Personal Tribute to Wapiti and Their World

by David Petersen (Author)

Usually ships in 3 to 6 weeks

Price: $16.00

Year-Round Trophy Whitetails: The Secrets to Putting All of the Odds in Your Favor

by Joe Brooks (Author)

Avg customer review:   (4)

In Stock

Price: $19.71

Spies In The Deer Woods: How to Hunt Game and Monitor Wildlife With a Scouting Camera

by Dick Scorzafava (Author), Walt Larsen (Author)

In Stock

Price: $14.93

The Whitetail Advantage: Understanding Deer Behavior for Hunting Success

by Dr Dave Samuel (Author)

Precision Bowhunting: A Year-Round Approach To Taking Mature Whitetails

by John Eberhart (Author), Chris Eberhart (Author)

Avg customer review:   (5)

Usually ships in 1 to 3 weeks

Price: $11.53

Bowhunting Pressured Whitetails

by John Eberhart (Author), Chris Eberhart (Author)

Avg customer review:   (12)

In Stock

Price: $12.89

A Hat Full of Rabbits! by Tom Kelly (Author)

American Chestnut: The Life, Death, and Rebirth of a Perfect Tree

by Susan Freinkel (Author)

Avg customer review:   (9)

In Stock

Price: $18.15

42 used & new from $13.95

Annie Proulux has another volume of short stories out called Wyoming Stories 3.  It is on my shelf as next up.  I am working my way through "A Team of Rivals."  It is really a very good book with a tremendous amount of period information that I am enjoying, but it is not a page turner.  I recently finished Jim Harrison's new book, "The English Major."  I am a Jim Harrison fan, and this book quickly became a favorite.  Victoria Houston has written a series of murder mysteries set in northern Wisconsin.  She is not as good as Sue Grafton, but the terrain is close to my heart and some of her characters are dead ringers for folks I have met.  It is fun fluff.

Phred

Just polished off Native Toungue by Carl Hiaasen (reread Lucky You by the same last week) and Into the Twilight, Endlessly Grousing by Patrick McManus this weekend.

I think I'll rekindle a tradition from childhood. I always used to read the Hardy Boys    "The Mystery at Cabin Island" every christmas when I was young. I dug it out last night.....the best Hardy Boys ever.  :)

Besides that I am on the second woods cop mystery........almost done reading "Hunting trips of a Ranchman".....toilet reading mostly.

I just pulled out "To Ride, Shoot Straight and Speak the Truth" by Jeff Cooper.

Annie Proulux has another volume of short stories out called Wyoming Stories 3.  It is on my shelf as next up.  I am working my way through "A Team of Rivals."  It is really a very good book with a tremendous amount of period information that I am enjoying, but it is not a page turner.  I recently finished Jim Harrison's new book, "The English Major."  I am a Jim Harrison fan, and this book quickly became a favorite.  Victoria Houston has written a series of murder mysteries set in northern Wisconsin.  She is not as good as Sue Grafton, but the terrain is close to my heart and some of her characters are dead ringers for folks I have met.  It is fun fluff.

Phred

The Story of Edgar Sawtelle: A Novel

This rural Wisconsin set novel may be of interest. There is a dog essay on the link, too.

"A Team of Rivals"  not a page turner was my take on it, too.

I like Jim Harrison, too.

Another Jim Harrison fan here.  The English Major was good, but I think not his best.  He has a new poetry book coming in the spring, In Search of Small Gods - which sounds good.

I think I'll rekindle a tradition from childhood. I always used to read the Hardy Boys    "The Mystery at Cabin Island" every christmas when I was young. I dug it out last night.....the best Hardy Boys ever.  :)

Now that brings back some memories!  I have the entire set (the blue, hardcover 1970s editions) still on the shelf at the Old Homestead.  I think there's around 60 or 70 of them, along with the Detective Handbook.  I used to read and reread them when I was a kid.  Maybe I'll take a few off the shelf this coming Christmas vacation....

Now that brings back some memories!  I have the entire set (the blue, hardcover 1970s editions) still on the shelf at the Old Homestead.  I think there's around 60 or 70 of them, along with the Detective Handbook.  I used to read and reread them when I was a kid.  Maybe I'll take a few off the shelf this coming Christmas vacation....

You nerd.

I have all the "blue one's" too.  :blush:

Cabin Island is the one where they visit an island on their ice boats......stay in a cabin there and catch some bad guys. It's very christmasy. I even made my own ice boat when I was like 13 or so........it had ski's and a tarp for a sail. Alas ....it didn't work well but there is a picture somewhere with me sitting on it with a huge proud smile on my face.

OK I am the nerd.

Anyone else read or reading the Brethren trilogy by Robyn Young? Wasn't sure if I'd enjoy those or not, but I'm liking it. Recently pre-ordered the last one Fall of the Templars.