2016 stand/blind photos

I really enjoyed the stand and blind photos last year. It's interesting to get other hunter's perspectives. So hopefully we can get one going this year.  I hope it's not to early. Below is my spot for the rest of the evening, a 15 ft double on the point of a tree line in a large CRP field. With the price of grain, there is little CRP left here. I really respect the land owner for keeping it this nice. He even releases a few phez so I get to listen to them cackle and watch them fly near sunset.  He's a real conservationist.  The bow is to my front, and the bolts to my left. In both you can see the prominent deer trail winding under this stand. 

Show us your views. But make sure to compress them so we don't fill up Brad's server. 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• topdog1961

• Brad Eden

• MTRookie76

• dogrunner

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It worked out well.  

View from my stand at 7:45AM. Back to birds and bow. Maybe his grandpappy will visit my expanded zone bow stand.

Thanks Brad, that's good to know. I checked my attachments and noted 4 old photos that were posted apparently before you enabled the resize feature, and 41 that I had compressed by emailing to myself

Posted Images

Overlooking an oak flat. I have a ground blind on the side of the hill. See more bears than deer here usually.

IMG_1393.JPG

I was on stand last evening. Should have taken a photo, will next time.

No worries if a C-Member, and uploading photo right to a post. I have max image size set at 6mb AND enabled a resize/downsize function so all uploaded images are automatically downsized to web friendly specs. And if a photo is still too big for initial upload there is a custom UJ photo Resizer found here: Uploading Photos/Resizing Topic

Thanks Brad, that's good to know. I checked my attachments and noted 4 old photos that were posted apparently before you enabled the resize feature, and 41 that I had compressed by emailing to myself in medium format.  I deleted the 4 old photos and my usage of alloted storage went from 28 to 14%. You may want to pass this along to other members to check to see if any old photos are eating their storage. 

Now i I am going to test your resize feature by attaching a non compressed photo. The ones I compress average 100-200k. Below is from my stand that I killed the little button buck from last Friday, see "Bambi" thread.  The corn field is behind it, but the river is in front, and a state highway bridge about 75 yards to the right. If you zoom on the center you get a glimpse of the river and the large concrete bridge pylons.  The bridge is actually about 75 feet above water level, well over my head. It's not exactly quiet woodlands hunting, but the traffic provides lots of cover noise if I have to turn around. And it's a funnel point as deer would rather walk under the bridge than over the busy highway. 

Edit:  The 3.7M file took much longer to upload, and consumed 475k after UJ compressed it, about 3 times the space of the files I compress first.  Especially If you are on a data plan, it still may be worthwhile to compress before uploading. 

image.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...

My son and I put a new double ladder stand up yesterday.  It’s across the road from the house, not 100 yards from our front door, talk about convenient.  It’s on the backside of a one acre wooded ravine that is surrounded on three sides by corn and the road on the other.  We have killed several deer from a blind on the corner of the ravine over the years, but that’s impossible when there is corn up.  The young farmer just this season gaveus permission to put up a stand.  Deer from bedding areas to the NW use the ravine as a staging area before crossing the road after dark.  The pic below with the bow shows the damage the deer have done to the corn in front of our stand.  If you look along the path of the bolt, you can see a deer trail coming in through the corn.  The other shot is to the left, showing the corner where we used to have our blind in years when there was no corn, or after it was taken off. We hunted this new stand last evening and saw nothing.  It was very windy and the stand will be hard to hunt in the wind with corn up, which witnessed by all the turbines going up, is almost constant here.  With wind and corn, we can’t hear or see the deer coming.  Despite a history of taking early season deer, and several promising stands/sites such as this, hunting has been tough this year.  I think I jinxed us by building the walk in deer cooler. 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpegimage.jpeg

Hang on stand at my close to home "9 Pt Stand". And my view from the stand looking towards my trail cam that's 55 yards away.  Much more open than I am use to but this tree was the only suitable one. This is a pinch point where as many as four huge overgrown logging roads meet. I've really finessed this spot and have photos of a slew of does and at least 3 bucks: a spike, a 4 pt and a decent 9 pt. But it's been dead with no sightings in about five sits in AM and PM. (Typical of much of Maine.) Until this morning when about 5 deer moved  through, but to my right where I didn't expect. 2-3 does and as many fawns or "skippers" as they are called in Maine once out of spots. Caught them crossing in an opening at 8:20AM at 60 or so yards. Did some bleats and grunts but they completely ignored me and disappeared into the hardwoods. I probably wouldn't have tried to shoot a doe since this isn't expanded bow zone and Id be done for year and wouldn't be able to tote rifle. I was cold and had to pee bad at this point but hung in for another 20 minutes in case a buck was trailing. Wasn't.

• 2 weeks later...

image.jpeg

Found this fresh scrape...

image.jpeg

....just off this small field. This is a photo from yesterday afternoon from a natural ground blind. I shot an 8 pt two years ago from this set up, on left of this photo. Typical Maine hunting as in no deer seen yesterday.

Michael Stenstrom

View from coastal Maine. You should be able to see the waters of Muscungos Bay under the sunrise.

IMG_0057.JPG

This is my favorite blind. I can get up into it without deer in the field seeing me. It is on private property & stays all year. Have shot deer and coyotes from it. This year I am using a Savage smokless ML and will be able to take a 185 yard shot to a favorite entry point for big bucks.

pasture blind view.jpg

Wish I would have seen this thread earlier.  I usually get a few but this year has been sparse.  Took this one while this guy was coming through.

006.JPG

I'm only sitting about 12 feet up on this homemade ladder stand and I can only see about 50 yards but have shot two deer and a coyote from it. Yesterday at 4 PM as I was about to climb up the last rung and get seated I saw a spike looking right at me about 25 yards out. I froze for a minute, but had no interest in taking him so I just sat down. He then proceeded to walk closer.. When he got 15 yards out he winded me, turned left 90 degrees, and walked out of sight.

ladder stand.jpg