REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UPLAND JOURNAL Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
Devilscreekw

Lost Connections on Astro 220

Devilscreekw

I probably know the answer to this, but, I have an EARLY production 220 with the original DC20 collar I purchased in '07. I am running the heavy cover antenna on the collar (that looks like a small tube of lipstick) as I couldn't keep from breaking the rubber ones. I have tested my range to 1 1/4 mile with this set up. Have had NO problems with the unit till now.

Just this week, I started getting many lost connection notifications, and have found my range to be less than 200 yards. I actually lose connection while I can still hear my beeper which I run at the same time. 

I am going to replace the batteries in the 220, which were starting to get low, and am running the collar down empty before charging it, though it has been blinking for 24 hrs. and has not gone out. I did just this minute notice the antenna on the 220 was loose a couple of turns, and have corrected it. 

So failing any of these things, is my problem the handheld, or the collar, and if it is the collar, should I buy a used DC30 or a DC40, as I see there are still some of these kicking around?

gunsrus

Never had the DC 20 collar so that's your decision . One other tip make sure you recalculate the satellites .

Devilscreekw

Well, fresh batteries and full charging did not help my problem. Range still less than 300 yards with clear line of sight. Unfortunately there is no one around me with a similar unit to troubleshoot my issue. It just seems funny that the unit worked great for 9 1/2 years, then just acts up regarding range. Connection when turned on and info received seem normal. 

I guess my next cheapest possible fix is to order new antennas for handheld and dog collar.

gunsrus

Thought your antenna was good . Most of the time its the antenna on the collar .

Devilscreekw

Yes, I have had problems before. 95% of my time is spent grouse hunting in heavy cover, and went through several rubber antennas in short order. I had been using the heavy cover antenna which looks like a tube of lipstick. I think I will order new rubber antennas for both 220 and DC20. That is the cheapest next step.

Jakeismydog2

i have solved many problems with my Astro by plugging it into my computer and giving it an update. Its like it just needs a refresher course on what its supposed to do.

Devilscreekw

Downloaded the latest update from Garmin yesterday. Made no difference. Range now 184 yards. Ordered new set of antennas from GDS and will try that. Failing that I think I'll look for a used DC30.

Boat dr

It may be time for a major upgrade...A 320 handheld and a DC 40 collar... Bullet proof... and can be found dirt cheap, well worth the upgrade...

Devilscreekw

Shhhhhhhh....I am in Canada. 

Scar

I started having this same issue on my 220 this past season.  I bought the thing in 2008 and have used the heck out of it.  I run the stock collar and an add-on DC-40 collar.  This year I started getting regular dropped contact between the handheld and the collars.  All my antenna's are in good condition and have worked for ten years.  I've reset the frequencies on both collars and that didn't solve the problem.  I'm running updated software on the 220 (last update was probably 3 years ago).   I'm stumped.

I finally gave up and ordered a 320 w/T5 yesterday but I'd still like to figure out what the problem is with the 220.  I'm a huge fan of Garmin gear and my 220 has been bulletproof for 10 years.  I feel like something has changed but can't put my finger on what it might be.

WPG Gizmo

The antennas I run on the collars look like cable wire wrapped in clear plastic these are heavy duty antennas.  They are like these this is the updated version  https://www.dusupply.com/collar-antennas.html

One thing to consider is that the GPS systems is going to change in April it may or may not effect your GPS https://www.gps-repeaters.com/blog/gps-week-number-rollover-april-6th-2019/

Mike Connally

I had that same problem. I replaced the battery in the collar and replaced the antenna with a longer whip antenna. 

Worked for me.