Best deer hunting tips and tricks

Bleach ( 5% sodium hypochlorite) has a smell to it. If anything I would wash my cloths in plain water with some baking soda added. I too watch my breath odor and after brushing my teeth I will eat an apple to get rid of the tooth paste smell.  I have watched many big bucks walking and hit the trail I walked in on hours before and it's like you described, they stop in their tracks alike they got hit in the face with a brick and will back out of the area. Amazing how long a scent will linger.

Virgil

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• MAArcher

• Brad Eden

• Virgil Kane

• garyRI

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Once I got into upland hunting I stopped deer hunting. Now that the dogs are gone I'm back into deer hunting somewhat and by no means an expert. The past several years I've realized:1) bucks in rut ca

My nephew killed a 10 point 250 pounder with a bow while smoking a cigarette and drinking a beer. Of course it was peak rut. I can't judge that buck, back in the day I too was often attracted to women

I try to enter the woods smelling like absolutely nothing. In the last few decades there has been a lot of talk about scent control and an extraordinary amount of products  to help control scent. To m

Not having as much time as some with teenage kids, I have become much more particular on the times I hunt.  I am mainly an archery guy, and check weather forecasts a couple times a day to see when they forecast a rising barometer, colder temps etc. 

I am fortunate that I can leave work when 'needed' to hunt what I consider weather patterns more conducive to deer movement.

7 hours ago, MAArcher said:

I can't wait until we invent supper smelling 

I know what Supper smells like tonight it is going to be Chili:P

I have seen deer come running to a running chainsaw likely because they know the sound means fresh browse.  The point is you can take scent control to far you can now spend hundreds on a ozone machine to help hide your scent.  If you recall about 10 years ago Scent lok clothing came onto the market and everyone went crazy for it this is the next step on getting you to part with your hard earned bucks.

Wild Turkeys dont need good scenting ability they have incredible eyes to pick you out with

Ha!  I'm guessing your family is going to be glad they don't have SUPER smelling ability after you have your chili for supper.  

Fwiw lots of knowledgeable bow hunters intentionally smoke their outer layers as a scent cover tactic, personally i hate the smell but i think it probably helps better than commercial cover scents especially where people burn wood stoves. I've peed off a tree stand many times and had deer walk right by minutes later and not react. Deer have to have two of three senses alerted to alarm.

Tip if you are bow hunting on a white oak flat fill your pockets with acorns before you climb up into a tree stand, then when some deer are near buy flick them out through the branches to make noise as they fall. I've killed a lot of deer that walked over to eat those acorns they hear falling. flick them with your thumb like you shot marbles as a kid so you don't show any movement.

A guy I work with just emailed me this. He has been hunting it two years and got it with a bow Monday evening about 15 min before sunset, NW Ohio. He said he was alternating gentle grunts with bleats every 10 minutes or so when this bruiser walked out of some corn 30 yards away to see what was going on. I obscured his face because I don't like posting pictures of people without their permission. And I'm so jealous the grin on his face is unbearable. 

Edit: But I'm happy for him of course. 

image.jpeg

Wow.   

Nice. I'm on bow stand as I type this. Also going bleats with light grunts. I'm not expecting anything like that to show up!

Any tips on still hunting?  Any one actually been routinely successful at it?  I mean actual still hunting, not getting lucky and bumping a deer on your way into a stand, but walking slow and looking for deer and actually seeing them before they see you and getting a relaxed shot on a deer from the ground.  I once met a guy, maybe 15 years ago, in western Mass, who said he shot most of his deer with a bow while they were in their beds.  He said he exclusively still hunted.  I saw a lot of buck pictures on his wall, pretty impressive.  The only deer I've got from the ground have been pushed to me and I used a shotgun or ML.  I don't remember ever taking a deer with a bow from the ground.

I've taken quite a few with my longbow on the ground. The key is hunting in a drizzle or light rain you just move very slow up wind stopping a lot.

They cant seem to see when its raining, I've walked right up to them many times in the rain..

I have seen good bird dogs almost step on a sitting pheasant in the rain. So if they have trouble smelling a pheasant in the rain, I would expect deer have the same problem (smelling anything not just pheasants).

I have had success still hunting slowly working my way across a hill side. But it was in an area that didn't have many hunters. Specifically West Point where military are assigned specific areas to hunt.

If there are many hunters around I think all you accomplish moving around is push deer to others. On opening day in Western PA, specifically Somerset County, I would take my lunch and not move around after I took my stand. If I didn't see deer first thing in the AM it was a high probability to see them between 11 AM and 1 PM or so because of guys going to and from their cars.

I was stationed in Kodiak Alaska and still hunting/moving slowly through the woods for Blacktail deer was the normal mode. Again there were very few other hunters around. Sometimes none if I got there by boat or was dropped by a bush pilot.

No tips. I only see tails while still hunting. I have had some success tracking in snow though.

Just a couple of thoughts on hunting mule deer.... the "other" deer.

Hunt high, but do not skyline yourself.  Sneak/crawl to canyon or coulee rims, and glass very carefully.  Assume that the deer are there.  Your job is to see them before they see you.

Watch any deer you see for 15 minutes or more, even if they are not ones you are interested in shooting.  Specifically, notice where they are looking. .Very commonly, they will be looking at another deer, one that you have not seen but may be the one to fill your tag.  Or one to bust you and blow out all the others.  

12 minutes ago, charlo slim said:

Just a couple of thoughts on hunting mule deer.... the "other" deer.

Hunt high, but do not skyline yourself.  Sneak/crawl to canyon or coulee rims, and glass very carefully.  Assume that the deer are there.  Your job is to see them before they see you.

Watch any deer you see for 15 minutes or more, even if they are not ones you are interested in shooting.  Specifically, notice where they are looking. .Very commonly, they will be looking at another deer, one that you have not seen but may be the one to fill your tag.  Or one to bust you and blow out all the others.  

As a very novice mule deer hunter these are some great tips. Thanks for the advice.