Best deer hunting tips and tricks

For whitetails in NY I swear by attractant scents during rut. Tink's has worked for me. I used to be an avid bow hunter(pre-gun dog) Now I only hunt the first couple days of rifle season and will use an attractant scent for the first day. Been doing this for 3yrs or so. Never used scent of any type during the rifle season in the past. Deer of all sorts seem to come to the scent canisters I put out.   35mm film cans with cotton in them. I tape close pins for quick dispatch. And "never" leave scent cans in the woods when I leave.  I like to be on stand when the woods are waking up.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• MAArcher

• Brad Eden

• Virgil Kane

• garyRI

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Once I got into upland hunting I stopped deer hunting. Now that the dogs are gone I'm back into deer hunting somewhat and by no means an expert. The past several years I've realized:1) bucks in rut ca

My nephew killed a 10 point 250 pounder with a bow while smoking a cigarette and drinking a beer. Of course it was peak rut. I can't judge that buck, back in the day I too was often attracted to women

I try to enter the woods smelling like absolutely nothing. In the last few decades there has been a lot of talk about scent control and an extraordinary amount of products  to help control scent. To m

21 hours ago, bobman said:

I've taken quite a few with my longbow on the ground. The key is hunting in a drizzle or light rain you just move very slow up wind stopping a lot.

They cant seem to see when its raining, I've walked right up to them many times in the rain..

Its funny you mention hunting still hunting in the rain.  I was in a tree the other day in the rain and thought that I was making a tactical mistake by not getting down and still hunting back to the truck.  Next time.

Next time was this past Saturday.  Not a big deer, but first one from the ground with a bow.2016 3 point.JPG

• 1 month later...

Once I got into upland hunting I stopped deer hunting. Now that the dogs are gone I'm back into deer hunting somewhat and by no means an expert. The past several years I've realized:1) bucks in rut can be crazy oblivious, 2) movement is the killer for the hunter and the hunted 3) camo is a marketing thing, seems to me if you really want camo, shades of gray and brown just disappear into the background, 4) hunt the wind if you can and scent really isn't a problem, 5) taking game in the front end of the day is more convenient than before dark, 6) most woods deer are shot under 100 yards, 7) hanging a deer for 2 weeks before butchering is a good thing, 8) having a walk in cooler so you don't have to rush the butchering is really nice, 9) once you take a biggun, you look for bigger, 10) twilight, dawn and dusk are simply mesmerizing times to be in the woods.

Planning to head out muzzleloader hunting in the rain in a bit.One hour ride. Had a couple inches of snow now rain. Taped up the barrel.I hate to get wet.Gore-tex does not get a good review from me after last Monday.My tip ,bring extra dry clothes.

1 hour ago, polecat said:

Planning to head out muzzleloader hunting in the rain in a bit.One hour ride. Had a couple inches of snow now rain. Taped up the barrel.I hate to get wet.Gore-tex does not get a good review from me after last Monday.My tip ,bring extra dry clothes.

I've hunted in pouring rain successfully  with my ML. Do the same thing with tape on the muzzle and I also learned to wrap some Saran Wrap over the nipple of my caplock. Keeps the moisture out and cap in place with the hammer on half cock while on a stand and doesn't interfere with ignition, no need to remove before firing like a leather lock cover. This is for traditional a ML, naturally you wouldn't need it for an in-line. 

Virgil 

Its typically rainy cold and snowy during the Maine ML season. I also put electric tape over the muzzle. I think most misfires are caused by people taking their ML in and out of the cold from a warm truck and particularly camp or house. Recipe for condensation.

14 hours ago, SODAKer said:

Once I got into upland hunting I stopped deer hunting. Now that the dogs are gone I'm back into deer hunting somewhat and by no means an expert. The past several years I've realized:1) bucks in rut can be crazy oblivious, 2) movement is the killer for the hunter and the hunted 3) camo is a marketing thing, seems to me if you really want camo, shades of gray and brown just disappear into the background, 4) hunt the wind if you can and scent really isn't a problem, 5) taking game in the front end of the day is more convenient than before dark, 6) most woods deer are shot under 100 yards, 7) hanging a deer for 2 weeks before butchering is a good thing, 8) having a walk in cooler so you don't have to rush the butchering is really nice, 9) once you take a biggun, you look for bigger, 10) twilight, dawn and dusk are simply mesmerizing times to be in the woods.

I agree with all of this but the two week hanging part.  If you haven't seen them, check out some of the other threads on deer hanging.  You are talking about dry aging (open air aging between 33 and 42 degrees before butchering and freezing).  Wet-aging is the way to go in my opinion (aging vac packed meat; commercially its not always frozen first, I freeze it first).  With a walk in cooler there isn't a rush, but as soon as is convenient, get the meat vac packed and frozen.  Then guestmate you meals for the next few weeks and put serving sized vac pac amounts in the meat drawer of your fridge (the draw that, if you look, is connected to the freezer, this is usually the bottom most drawer and has a sliding temp control lever).  Keep that draw just above freezing and you can thaw out/age vac packed meat in there for months.  So if your plans change and you can't cook that piece of meat you had defrosting, no big deal, its good in there for a long long time.  But if you already started the clock ticking by hanging it in open air (= long contamination/oxidization time) then you better hope you can get to cooking it before it goes bad.  Also, when aged in vac pack, especially for a long time, all the blood drains out (more so than whole deer hanging) reducing any gamey flavor, like from an older rutting buck.  Dry aging is definitely better than no aging, but Wet-aging just gives you total temp control and takes all the pressure off you.  Have a deer that's been hanging for two weeks and then on the day you planned on cutting it up, your car craps out or theirs a family emergency or whatever and now you're at risk of losing your deer.  I just really enjoy having the deer frozen ASAP.  It takes all the pressure off and you can age each individual piece for as long or as little as you like.  Want to experiment and let one piece go for two months?  Go ahead, if you open up the vac pack and it smells rank, you know you over did it and you only lost one piece, not a whole deer.  I can't refrain from eating a thawed piece of venison for that long, but I've gone over a month with no off odor when the vac pack is opened.  

Another processing tip is to not cut individual steaks before vac packing.  Just pack the whole muscle (or as much of it as will fit into a vac bag).  When you cut steaks before freezing all you are doing is increasing surface area to get contaminated and oxidized.  Just cut the individual steaks after the meat is thawed.  

I hang in the walk in cooler with hide on for two weeks give or take. Skinned then butchered same day.  All meat is trimmed e.g. silver skin, ect, cut to serving size and vacuumed packed. Never had a problem or lost a piece. No odor going into the vacuum pack, none coming out. IMO vacuum packing is so much better than wrapping in freezer paper. 

37 minutes ago, SODAKer said:

I hang in the walk in cooler with hide on for two weeks give or take. Skinned then butchered same day.  All meat is trimmed e.g. silver skin, ect, cut to serving size and vacuumed packed. Never had a problem or lost a piece. No odor going into the vacuum pack, none coming out. IMO vacuum packing is so much better than wrapping in freezer paper. 

Have you ever left a thawed package of your meet in the fridge for a month and a half?  

There has to be a time limit on how much aging is too much.  I'd rather have the two weeks in the cooler on the other end because it really fits my life style, where I often have to travel for work last minute.  There's been numerous times where I've had meat defrosting with the intention of cooking in the following week, but because I have to go away from work I'm unable to.  Being able to age longer in the fridge gives me the flexibility of letting meat sit in the fridge for longer than I'd be able to if I had already burned up some of that aging time by letting it hang in the meat locker first.   I can't say if one way of the other actually affects taste or makes more tender than the other because each deer tastes different to me I'd have to do one deer half wet age and half dry age to see if I can detect any difference.  Right now its really just about the flexibility for me.