Oklahoma quail opener

3 hours ago, Scar said:

Texas Tech University is conducting a quail study on one of the ranches I hunt. They’ve trapped birds and banded as many 175 of them. They also radio collar many of the birds.  This bird was one of the birds banded in that study. 

You can class it as you please but we walked 10 miles behind numerous bird dogs that day for 8 coveys and 7 birds in the bag. 

I was going from my experience, my mistake. 

• Replies 269
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Scar

• john mcg

• BIGSP

• juneboy1

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

So back at them today.  It was much cooler but windy.  Still dry as we haven't had measurable moisture in a month.   Ellie bumped the first covey but I'm loathe to get on her as the scent co

I've struggled with whether to continue to post in this thread and frankly I've decided I post for me and not for anybody else.  I've not been mean-spirited, ugly or condescending to anybody in any of

And in light of recent discussions......  

Posted Images

4 hours ago, Scar said:

My goodness, no.   I’m personally uninterested in anything but wild birds in big country. I know that some people only have access to pay-to-play birds but I’m blessed to be able to chase wild birds in beautiful wild places. You’ll not hear me criticize the preserve bird hunters but that style of hunting is not my thing. 

I appreciate that and stand corrected. Good luck, I was in your area over the weekend and am there several times a year. It is a tough and strikingly beautiful part of our country. The most beautiful sunrises and sunsets around happen there. As I said I don't care how people get to get out and run dogs, I just saw something that didn't smell right, I was wrong.  My mistake.

Billy

I didn’t take offense. I can sure see how it might look canned but I can assure it is not. 

I love the Oklahoma panhandle. Those that find it plain aren’t looking very closely. 

350019F2-1E93-4BC8-958B-6017F884EDF1.png

7 hours ago, juneboy1 said:

Any bob with a band on it is not a wild bird. Sorry, I don't care what people shoot but that is the facts.

Does that stand for woodcock too ?

8 hours ago, juneboy1 said:

Any bob with a band on it is not a wild bird. Sorry, I don't care what people shoot but that is the facts.

Indeed Texas Tech IS conducting a wild bob survey somewhere in OK; I dunno where.

41 minutes ago, sidelock said:

Does that stand for woodcock too ?

I am an avid birder and have banded migratory birds, I made a miss call on the Okie bobs.

It’s hot, dusty and windy. I walked 40 miles this week behind bird dogs and never pulled the trigger. Most walks were with the sons of my friends. I only carried a gun about 1/3 of the walks. We need a rain/snow desperately.  Here’s some pics. 

157A155E-56C6-4D32-A739-B130DBBC1EFA.jpeg

C2B70FF7-72DD-46C0-8478-4B5F354C85E5.jpeg

3948BC50-6826-4E95-AE75-90A3D1B7A34B.jpeg

10 minutes ago, Scar said:

Good on you, Judge!   Very well done taking those young men out for birds. That Ellie May is a pistol!

On 11/25/2021 at 12:35 PM, juneboy1 said:

Texas Tech is doing a big study in the area and they are trapping wild birds and banding and radio collaring them.

On 11/27/2021 at 8:19 PM, quailguy said:

Good on you, Judge!   Very well done taking those young men out for birds. That Ellie May is a pistol!

I got two surprise hugs this week.  In my humble opinion surprise hugs (where you get grabbed and hugged unexpectedly) are the second best hugs only trailing the hugs you get when you've been away from home a long time.

You can kind of see the first one in Aidan's video above.  He shot that banded quail and was super excited.  Our group fist-bumps as a masculine form of celebration but following our fist-bump he grabbed me and hugged me.  Super cool!

The second was just as awesome.  Another friend of mine and his 16 YO son hunted on Friday.  It was dry, hot and windy and the morning walks produced no action.  We went to town and ate a HUGE lunch at a little Mexican food place across the state line in Texas.  Dad and I had some beer with our lunch so we were, by mutual agreement, done hunting.  We spent the afternoon wandering around the southern half of Beaver County seeing the sights arriving in the evening on a small ranch I lease for hunting.  I parked on top of a hill overlooking some thickets and Dad had his son take their young Field-bred Cocker, Roxie, to walk through the thickets.  This spot is the closest I have to a "sure-thing" place.  We stood on top of the hill and watched.

Roxie and the boy didn't get 100 yards from the truck and I could see the boy's attention stiffen and intensify.  Shortly thereafter a covey of bobwhite exploded from the edge of a big thicket and the boy tracked on and shot it.  As he's been taught he hustled to the down bird and was met there by Roxie.  Both the boy and the dog were jumping with joy.  I'm pleased and am laughing contentedly when dad grabs me and gives me a grateful bear-hug.  Super cool!

AidanMattie.jpg

NateRoxie.jpg

My little pointer, Dot, has been struggling this year (and frankly late last year).  She's a tough little bird finder with so much potential.  I've been really down at the mouth about her decline.

I took her to the vet earlier this week and after some discussion we adopted an aggressive approach to solving her health problems.  It paid immediate dividends with some nice runs today finishing with this super covey find.

Dot is back!

DJI_0270-4.jpg

DJI_0270-10.jpg

IMG_5772 (1).jpg

On the other hand Ellie Mae hasn't any excuses for her struggles other than the hot, dry weather.  She made amends this evening by making a spectacular find on some OLAP birds late in the day.  Although you only see the two birds flush there were 12-15 in the covey (sorry!) and it took all her wisdom and savvy to get them pointed.  Fun stuff!

4 hours ago, robp said:

I can't tell you enough how much I like your posts and I respect the amount of work you put into them

Just out of curiosity whats up with Dot?

This go round it’s a low grade infection (UTI) combined with anemia and thyroid problems. She’s been unhealthy for most of the last year. Among other meds Doc prescribed a steroid and it paid immediate and obvious dividends. 

And thank you for your kind words!  I love the hunting I get to do with my dogs. I love sharing it with like-minded people. I really appreciate supportive comments as compared to some of the snarky opinionated jabs I sometimes receive.