Back to Birds & Bow...

IMG_0140.JPG

This young man strolled in to a new stand I set up earlier this Fall. I had made a conscious decision to try and take a big Doe with my Doe permit or any buck starting today. I especially wanted my efforts to scout and set up this new ladder stand to pay off. It's a 10 minute walk from my door, past some beaver ponds and up high in a patch of woods between a pond and a power line. I've been 'cross hairing' multiple does the last couple weeks at other spots, and with 2 days of rain and missing most of next week for a family Thanksgiving trip...no regrets. I've been itching to get back out with my bow anyhow, and Cash has been neglected too much already so grousin we shall go.

IMG_0142.JPG

Of course my my die hard buddy Scott dropped everything to scoot down and help me drag. We manhandled him a few hundred yards through the woods to the power line and angled it so we would have a shorter drag up the line to where I could get my truck in. He felt heavier than what the scale read at 130lbs. I haven't removed heart and his junk so 125 let's say. Thought he was a small 6 point while I scoped him walking through the woods. Ends up he has 3 on one side and a spike on the other. Don't matter, he's mine and I'll take him. My goal of a two deer year has been accomplished with my earlier bow Doe.  If his daddy is up near my bow stand in expanded zone that's great too.

13 minutes ago, Wirehair said:

Nice!

Since your in Maine shouldn't you have to drag that thing like 5 miles....???

It was a good two miles. At least that's what my bum knee and lower back says...

31 minutes ago, Clueless1 said:

Nice job Brad!  When I'm that far back in anymore I use the gutless method and pack out. 

If he was a real bruiser I think I would have quartered him. Never done that before, but I'm getting crotchety. As is, it was looking like I might anyhow since at first I couldn't employ any help. But Scott came through and will be rewarded handsomely in protein.

In my blog I wrote "Teach your sons to hunt. They are the best deer draggers ever".   :)

Congrats Brad. Good eats there.

Nice shooting Brad. I'm sitting in the stand right now waiting for my buck to show up. My wife tagged out at 1 o'clock. 7 pt with her marlin 336 30-30.

20 minutes ago, Brad Eden said:

If he was a real bruiser I think I would have quartered him. Never done that before, but I'm getting crotchety. As is, it was looking like I might anyhow since at first I couldn't employ any help. But Scott came through and will be rewarded handsomely in protein.

I've quartered too, but at one point found myself asking why I was carrying bones?  So now that far in that I'm not dragging, it's debone in game bags and in pack.  Makes for a tough walk taking all out at once, but it ain't dragging!

20 minutes ago, Brad Eden said:

Its a good thing this is a family board.

1 hour ago, Virgil Kane said:

The 7-08 strikes again? 

Virgil

Indeed. He was probably only 40 yards from me when I made the shot. I was 16 feet in a ladderstand that was already on a hill and he was at a steep angle. I threaded it through some trees and branches. He made a short ground hugging run straight towards me and collapsed within sight. Upon finishing the clean out I discovered I had shattered his heart. Good old 7mm-08, 140 grain, Remington CoreLokt came through again.

8 minutes ago, Brad Eden said:

Indeed. He was probably only 40 yards from me when I made the shot. I was 16 feet in a ladderstand that was already on a hill and he was at a steep angle. I threaded it through some trees and branches. He made a short ground hugging run straight towards me and collapsed within sight. Upon finishing the clean out I discovered I had shattered his heart. Good old 7mm-08, 140 grain, Remington CoreLokt came through again.

I really like the 7mm-08. However I haven't used mine since I bought a Browning 1885 high wall in 45-70.