Back to Birds & Bow...

All tagged out in Michigan's rifle deer season. My wife shot a nice 7 point yesterday afternoon with her .30-30 Marlin 336. My forkhorn came out just at first light this morning. Lots of good meals to come.

V__ECAF.jpg

WP_20161116_08_06_00_Pro.jpg

another good one ! You guy's are tear'n up over here . Two more days until the NY opener.  I hope I croak one. I didn't get a doe coupon this yr.  In N.Y.  coupons are transferable so perhaps I still may get one and if so I hope a flat top walks out. 

I keep one of the fold up deer carts in the Jeep. When folded it doesn't take up much room and it sure makes dragging out easier. Plus it is the right height to just dump the animal onto the hitch platform, which I also like. It sure beats having to lift a big one into my truck bed, which sits pretty high, them having to spray out the bed later. 

In in fact my son and I have transformed the soon to be his (just got his temps) 2000 Cherokee into a deer killing machine.  Remember this is a relatively small SUV. In it from the front seatsback we have two Xbows, two climber stands, two gear backpacks, a game cart, a full size decoy, and a tub for tools, jumpers, jerk straps...etc. and on the back is a hitch platform. Not sure his cute girlfriend is going to appreciate all that once he starts driving on his own, but at least I don't have to worry about them crawling into the back seat. 

Stepson just tagged out. Buck of a lifetime 10pt 226 lbs dressed out. Shot it with a .243 Remington 700.

V__506F.jpg

I almost feel guilty about continuing to deer hunt with two on ice. But the expanded bow season runs into December and I have two tags, a buck and a second Doe tag I purchased after the first Doe. I'm gonna head to my stand in Expanded zone this afternoon if possible. It's almost an hour away so is a commitment. Typically the bigger bucks are no shows all season until starting now when they cruise looking for the plethora of does that inhabit these urban bow zones. Plus the landowner , my buddy Scott hasn't scored with bow or rifle yet and I'd sure like to add more to his freezer.

I__00001.JPG

I have a ladder stand out back and I put up a pop up blind this fall at the tippy top of my property. I only hunted back there a few times because the usual herd of deer have been absent, at least according to my trail cam. This morning I pulled the card from my cam that is about 15 feet from my blind. Lo and behold an 8 pt is cruising the area. By the looks of his broken tines he's been battling. I can only  look since I'm tagged out and this isn't expanded bow zone. And JoAnn isn't a big deer hunter, just turkey although I may try and get her back there. My buddy Scott and his daughter may be down next week to hunt out back and at Pond Stand where I shot the small buck on Tuesday. This is an indication that the rut is in and the bucks are on the prowl.

Well I guess I won't go hungry this yr. A little past 7:00 this morning a bunch of does came through and then this guy with nose to the ground. I can't be happier !

037.JPG

Nice deer Max, congrats. Call us wimps but my son and I bailed on hunting today, even though it's youth gun weekend, our first chance to gun hunt all season. After an ideal summer like fall it's in the 30s with 25 mph winds gusting to 40. There was a driving drizzle this morning turning to flurries now. We have all we need to eat, three eaters plus the German exchange student's nice buck. It may well be peak rut but we're not sitting out in this crap on the off chance Bullwinkle will walk up and fill his one buck tag. I'm sitting in the car now and it's rocking.  I let him sleep in and spent the morning cutting up this nice eater doe he took with a Xbow one evening this week. She's in gallon bags now. I'll let the steaks and straps wet age a few days before vacuum sealing and the rest of her is going into brats tomorrow. 

image.jpeg

Thank's ! You look at the pic I posted and I had to put up a tarp to shade the deer from sunlight & 60 degree temps. It actually almost reached 70 here yesterday. One of my friends came in last night with pic's on his phone of two spikes knock'n heads.

Currently 3-4 inches of snow has fall'n and it's still snowing . Crazy weather .  Brad I'm glad you put this other thread options on the site. I have been enjoying these deer stories. Helps get through the down time from getting out with the dog.   

1 minute ago, max2 said:

....Brad I'm glad you put this other thread options on the site. I have been enjoying these deer stories. Helps get through the down time from getting out with the dog.   

Agree, a lot of us aren't one trick ponies, and chase other critters besides birds. I also enjoy these "seasonal" Forums/Topics.

• 3 weeks later...

All deer seasons ended in Maine yesterday with the final day of muzzleloader and expanded bow. I was in a tree with bow til the bitter and I mean bitter cold end in afternoon. No movement, but I'm always on my toes in this stand since Ive shot 5 deer with my bow from it including this years doe. Feeling rich, with a freezer full of venison from the bow and rifle deer this year. I have a couple pounds of deer burger thawed in fridge for a meatloaf I'll make this afternoon. 

GROUSE! And they are grouping up in this cold weather. Not budding yet but moving to available food sources I suspect. I jumped two grouse at the end of my driveway just this morning. Will be after them this week.