• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Wisconsin

• topdog1961

• Remo

• RuffChaser

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hey Wisconsin aka Ken, have you ever considered putting together a book with your columns? I had some talks with the editors of the magazine I wrote an outdoor column for. It was a possibility since I

My end table has a lamp on it.   My other end table has another lamp on it.

Just finished Captsick's "Death in the Long Grass" for the ? time.    This morning, a good friend returned my copies of Ruark's "Horn of the Hunter" and Babcock's "My Health is Better in Nov

Posted Images

I love those Macquarrie stories, i re read them all the time. I just started Gene Hill, Mostly Tailfeathers. I was surprised to find it signed when i opened it. I also started Hemingway, a farewell to arms, while i was in the deer stand last week. About halfway through. I have a lot of time off during the winter and the book suggestions from this site have been fantastic.

The closest book at the moment is "Steal Like an Artist" 

I've got "A Hunter's Heart" in the truck. 

Recently started reading "Heroin, Hurricane Katrina, and The Howling Within" again. Digital copy though, on the tablet I'm typing this on. 

11 hours ago, Downwind said:

I love those Macquarrie stories, i re read them all the time. I just started Gene Hill, Mostly Tailfeathers. I was surprised to find it signed when i opened it. I also started Hemingway, a farewell to arms, while i was in the deer stand last week. About halfway through. I have a lot of time off during the winter and the book suggestions from this site have been fantastic.

I found a first edition of the 1st of his trilogy compiled and edited by Zack Taylor online.

IMG_6286.JPG

If you like McQuarrie, get your hands on UJer Keith Crowley's biography of the man. A great read!

Hey Wisconsin aka Ken, have you ever considered putting together a book with your columns? I had some talks with the editors of the magazine I wrote an outdoor column for. It was a possibility since I had enough content after 9 years. But the publisher sold the magazine and I am writing for a different magazine now. I did check and I have rights to all those columns so may self publish a book someday with selected essays/columns.

Charley Waterman's "Gun Dogs and Bird Guns", rationed to a chapter per day.  Also, for reference on training my new puppy, Wolter's "Gun Dog" and GBE's "Troubles With Bird Dogs" along with a few magazines, latest PDJ, latest Atlantic Salmon Journal and a few ski mags. 

5 hours ago, Brad Eden said:

Hey Wisconsin aka Ken, have you ever considered putting together a book with your columns? I had some talks with the editors of the magazine I wrote an outdoor column for. It was a possibility since I had enough content after 9 years. But the publisher sold the magazine and I am writing for a different magazine now. I did check and I have rights to all those columns so may self publish a book someday with selected essays/columns.

Yes sir, I have. In fact have done so - the manuscript is put together. It's at a publisher right now, awaiting a response. But I'm losing patience with him and may look elsewhere. I'm working on a second book right now .The self publishing world has Had some major changes of late that I'd like to discuss with you sometime. A call might just be in order.

Ken

12 hours ago, Wisconsin said:

If you like McQuarrie, get your hands on UJer Keith Crowley's biography of the man. A great read!

I will make sure i pick it up, thanks!

Who is on my end table? Michael Ondaatje, Eddie Huang,  various writers in "Chinese Mythology", a couple of cookbook writers.

21 hours ago, Wisconsin said:

Yes sir, I have. In fact have done so - the manuscript is put together. It's at a publisher right now, awaiting a response. But I'm losing patience with him and may look elsewhere. I'm working on a second book right now .The self publishing world has Had some major changes of late that I'd like to discuss with you sometime. A call might just be in order.

Ken

My dad has self published several books. Most of these were in the late '90s early 2000's. He didn't pay for editing and he has very little formal education so the grammar is challenging to be kind. He loves reading and always wanted to be an author. He actually had a book signing at a local Barnes and Nobles store. He also would go to the local schools and they would read his book and he would discuss them and take them on field trips to see some of the landmarks he mentioned in his books. A swimming hole, one room schoolhouse he attended, etc. It's pretty cool stuff even though it can be a difficult read. I am in fact named after a character in a book he wrote but never published in the 60s. That character's name was Tye Dollar and I carry the same first name. The character Tye was named after Ty Cobb as my Dad was a tremendous baseball player and a big baseball fan.

I would discuss it with him and mention how he went about it to you but he has Alzheimer's and has lost any recollection he ever wrote and published anything.

On 11/25/2016 at 4:54 PM, topdog1961 said:

I just finished Mathews Men and started to reread Japanese Destroyer Captain. I enjoyed Mathews Men because of its subject matter, merchant seamen, which I believe have received to little recognition. But like many modern WWII history books, it's written for a generation that knows little to nothing about the war, so a lot of backstory that should be common knowledge is explained. And I caught several errors such as the Japanese lost two carriers at Midway, and several inconsistencies in dates.  That annoys me in a book. 

On the other hand I really enjoy a good first hand memoir, and Japanese Destroyer Captain is one of the best. And as I type, the first Bloody Mary is gone. 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Thanks for posting about The Mathews Men.  My Dad was in the Merchant Marine and I think he will like this as a Christmas present.

Here's the third reader of Capstick's "Death in the Long Grass".  I had just found my copy in an unlikely place (my desk), and read it again.  I'm reading some John Barsness ("Born to Hunt") at the moment.