What's on your end table, right now?

Just finished "The Boys in the Boat"  by Daniel James Brown and started "East of Eden" by Steinbeck Looking forward to the new Harrison book The Great Leader I believe it's called..

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Wisconsin

• topdog1961

• Remo

• RuffChaser

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hey Wisconsin aka Ken, have you ever considered putting together a book with your columns? I had some talks with the editors of the magazine I wrote an outdoor column for. It was a possibility since I

My end table has a lamp on it.   My other end table has another lamp on it.

Just finished Captsick's "Death in the Long Grass" for the ? time.    This morning, a good friend returned my copies of Ruark's "Horn of the Hunter" and Babcock's "My Health is Better in Nov

Posted Images

I just finished Hillbilly Elegy, by J.D. Vance.  It was a NYT bestseller a couple months ago.  Gives a detailed look at how poor whites in Appalachia have fallen through society's cracks and nobody noticed.  Gives you a neat insight into my own little hometown. I know a few of the lunatics that get addressed in the book.

The author really only throws one living person under the bus, his mother, a pill addict.  The older generation he revered were not much better but he deftly hides their larger flaws and leaves the impression that murderous psychopaths were just "characters."

Ambler, Eric. A Coffin for Dimitrios  This title was originally published in 1937 and arguably one the best espionage/intrigue stories ever penned. This is my second or third re-reading of "Coffin..." over the years. I've always felt that another reading of a favored book is like running into an old friend one hasn't seen in a while.

Bair, Deirdre . Capone: His Life, Legacy and Legend . (2016) 

MacIntyre, Ben. Rogue Heroes: The History of the SAS, Britain's Secret Special Forces Unit..... (2016) The author writes of the SAS's founder Sir Archibald David Stirling: "He was a failure in peace but a success in war." Great quote.

Ruger 1

10 hours ago, trust me said:

I just finished Hillbilly Elegy, by J.D. Vance.  It was a NYT bestseller a couple months ago.  Gives a detailed look at how poor whites in Appalachia have fallen through society's cracks and nobody noticed.  Gives you a neat insight into my own little hometown. I know a few of the lunatics that get addressed in the book.

The author really only throws one living person under the bus, his mother, a pill addict.  The older generation he revered were not much better but he deftly hides their larger flaws and leaves the impression that murderous psychopaths were just "characters."

I heard the NPR interview with Vance when the book was published. It sounded very interesting, and very relative to me, being originally from E KY, having much family there, and like most from the area, still call it "home" though I'm decades and many miles removed. It's a big part of the man that I am, and you won't understand unless you're from Appalachia. I still haven't decided to be buried in the family cemetery there on the side of the hill, or up here. I need to decide. I need to read the book. Thanks. 

On 1/12/2017 at 9:38 PM, Treerooster said:

Woodcock Shooting or Woodcock Rising? I got Smith's Woodcock Rising for Christmas. Planned on reading it this summer for a warm up to bird season.

Right now I like to read turkey type books for the coming spring. Thinking about a re-read of Kenny Morgan's "Turkey Hunting A One Man Game"

I mis-typed, Woodcock Rising. After 20 min or so my boss looked at me and asked - What he hell could you possibly learn about Woodcock? I told him I'm not sure but I won't know unless I try.

19 hours ago, Sage Hen said:

Just finished "The Boys in the Boat"  by Daniel James Brown and started "East of Eden" by Steinbeck Looking forward to the new Harrison book The Great Leader I believe it's called..

Your gonna love "The Great Leader"!

• 1 month later...
Steve Hunts

Day out of Days- Sam Shepard

Skeletons of the Zahara- Dean King

On the Edge of the Wild- Stephen Bodio

Mexico City Blues- Kerouac

Shot Down. The true story of a WW II B-17 bomber crew shot down over BELGIUM.  Fascinating!

I'm reading Michael McIntosh's Shotguns and Shooting and I wonder if anyone here can help me with a phrase he uses? When he is writing about electric guns he twice uses the phrase "To think outside the nine dots" . It's easy to substitute the box and it all makes sense but it just kind of bugs me that I can't figure out the reference.I know I'm not the hottest primer in the box so I thought I'd ask here.

Adventures of a Female Medical Detective by Mary Guinan, PhD, MD. It's the story of a gal tracking plagues and epidemics around the world. Makes you realize how humanity is just a breath away from disaster.