Names for first born

I thought since this a pretty special group, I would post this question here.  My wife and I are expecting our first child, a boy (DAD IS PUMPED!) We have been through what seems like hundreds of books and lists, trying to come up with a name.  We've been over this non stop and are still no closer to picking a name.  We both want something unique, but not crazy like Northwest or Motor Oil (seems like baby names are getting crazier and crazier)  We are looking for something that goes with Anderson.  I would love to hear any suggestions or stories on how you came up with the names for your children.

Thanks 

Ryan

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• topdog1961

• MSchafer

• ryangrouse

• Brad Eden

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Sue

Donald, Brad, or Cooter. 

I guess "Adolf" is not on the table?   How about ... ugh... Window?

Rocco.    A bit ethnic if that's important to you but it's  somewhat masculine, solid ,sort of unique and cool. A good guys name. As examples  St Rocco is the patron saint of the sick as he ministered  to the victims of the plague, and there's Rocco Mediate on the PGA. It even goes with Anderson. When he gets bigger the two of you could even share monogrammed sweaters.

Isaac. It was my maternal grandfather's name. I always figured that if I had a son, he'd be named after his great grandfather. At the age of 43, I don't think it's gonna happen. IMO, it's a strong masculine name. Also, if you're a man of faith, there's the biblical association with Isaac being the only son born to both Abraham and Sarah. Who wouldn't like a little "Ike" tearing around the house!

Hey congrats! 

I'll try and come up with boys names but first here is some advice. We named our first born Alexandra. She has always had the nickname Lexi. When our second daughter was born we couldn't come up with a name with as much impact or gumption as Alexandra. That little baby didn't get a name for about 3 days! Finally someone suggested Elizabeth. Perfect, and she mostly goes by Liz.

So be sure to pick out a name that can be equaled if you have more kids.

FWIW if one of my girls were boys, one would have been named Graham, with Gray for short.

My son is named Chet after my long deceased father.  That's what my father's (Chester) drinking buddies called him. We like the name, and so does he. It's not a common name, but not way out there either. There is only one other Chet in his school, and that's not his real name, just a nickname. My wife named our daughter Kaitlyn. God how I regret that, there are millions of them. 

My father was a functioning alcoholic most of his life. But he was a gentle, humble, loving man, even more so when he drank. Some people may say liquor "makes" someone mean or a womanizer for example.  But I say liquor doesn't "make" you anything, it stops you from hiding what you really are.  To this day I've never met anyone who said a bad word about my father (other than mother, and she said plenty). I always said that the more dad drank, the meaner mom got. Just the other day his doctor, now getting aged, came up to me at a ball game Chet was playing in. He said "I just made the connection that Chet is named after Chester. What a great inspiration for him. He was the kindest man I ever met." 

To me a child is the God given continuation of family. A name from a well respected male ancestor would be one to reflect upon. And yeah, my family is Scots so there's a helluva lot of Alexanders and Williams, both from medieval Scot's kings. As Brad suggested, having a good nickname can be important, too.

Talk about ethnic, I know a fellow who (ITalian) named his first son Primaro (or First). I'm sure you guessed the name of his second son....Secondo.

about Jack....Jack Anderson. I like that one.

Ira. An old school name that has a nice ring to it when teamed with Anderson. And like a good dogs name it is easy to yell when he does bad.

Will Anderson- John Wayne character in The Cowboys. A tough and principled man.

#2 look through the Bible if you are so inclined, Many names beyond the obvious.

#3 I like place names and family names. Especially ones with history or meaning to you.

#4 If you're just stumped Byrd Anderson would be a fine name.

#5 Don't show this to your wife! "We are not letting a bunch of guys on the internet name our son"!

congratulations!