Names for first born

Craig Doherty

My current "Top Dog" is named Spot.  We'd be honored if you named your boy after him.  Spot may be the best most natural talent I have ever had in the grouse woods and on other wild and released birds.  Who knows, the connection might turn your son into a great grouse hunter and dog guy. ;)

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• topdog1961

• MSchafer

• ryangrouse

• Brad Eden

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Sue

Donald, Brad, or Cooter. 

I guess "Adolf" is not on the table?   How about ... ugh... Window?

I would name him Ruff.

i was named after my two grandfathers.  I like one of the names and detest the other.

I have three grandsons - Cullen, Christopher and Rhonen. My daughter (Kristyn) likes these not so usual names.

My brothers and I... Bob. Mike, Dave. Jim, Phil, George. Nothing exotic there.

When I name a dog I try for a name that "fits" and is only one or two syllables - and that doesn't sound like a command. So my setters' call names are Ted, Tommy, Cody, Andy, and Buddy.

If I had a son I would name him Eamon after my grandmother's brother. I also like the name Liam.

We picked the name Cassius for our son as we felt it was unique but not weird.  It was somewhat inspired by Cassius Marcellus Clay, the notable abolitionist and cousin to Henry Clay.  We were living in Lexington, Kentucky at the time and both Henry and Cassius are still very much a part of Kentucky culture.   

Ha ha I just call both my boys "junior".  If I say it they both pay attention. Don't have to remember those complicated nom de plumes. 

Always liked the idea of naming a child after the mother's maiden name (or a derivative of it).

Congrats!, We don't have many traditions in our family but both my grandfathers named their first born after themselves. So did my dad, making me a junior. Growing up everyone called me J.R. When we found out my wife was pregnant I told her if it was a boy i wanted to keep the tradition. She wasn't thrilled but googled nicknames for a 3rd and Trey or Tripp came up. She liked Tripp and so that's what we usually call him (unless she is yelling at him).

35 minutes ago, CptSydor said:

Always liked the idea of naming a child after the mother's maiden name (or a derivative of it).

That is a tradition in the southern United States, very often as the middle name.  I've always been fond of the custom.