Names for first born

If I didn't name my son Chet after my father it would have been Liam. Again, not common but unprecedented. 

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• topdog1961

• MSchafer

• ryangrouse

• Brad Eden

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Sue

Donald, Brad, or Cooter. 

I guess "Adolf" is not on the table?   How about ... ugh... Window?

My all time favorite name for a boy is Chisum! Unfortunately that's what my best friend named his boy so I couldn't use it. Since you don't know him feel free and if you ever meet just say "wow what a coincidence".

ZEKE,

I like Zeke.  I named my first Black lab Zeke.  Never called for my dog and got the wrong one.  Strong, confident, biblical, and a little redneck.

Hunts Labs

My wife and I have two little girls; Delainee Fay and McKenna Mae.  Delainee is named after my great aunt Emma.  Emma DeLaine Mendell.  Our youngest is named for my wife's father, Ken and my mother (middle name Mae).  The point being that whenever we look at our little girls they remind us of special people in our lives.  It was/is a tribute of sorts. Maybe you can find something similar in your family?

I am a big fan of family names.  I would try to find some older boys names on either side of the family that go back three or four generations.  That way you will probably find something unique in today's world, but it will still have a family connection.  Whatever you do, DO NOT use some unique spelling of an odd name that makes everyone scratch their head to try to figure out (i.e. Payzlei for Paisley).

13 hours ago, grouse28 said:

I like IAN. Worked for an old timer some years ago named Ai. A biblical named and pronounced just as the individual letters sound.

Ian is a terrible name. He's dating my teenage daughter. 

7 hours ago, Scrappy said:

Whatever you do, DO NOT use some unique spelling of an odd name that makes everyone scratch their head to try to figure out (i.e. Payzlei for Paisley).

EXACTLY. I have an unusual spelling of a common name that has about 3 different common spellings, none of which I use, and it has been a lifelong curse. I always put it the same on any documents but none of my official records match. Somewhere down the chain some clerk "corrects" the spelling. This includes drivers license, insurance documents, various other common forms of ID. I've had difficulty buying guns, collecting insurance, tittleing vehicles and many other headaches because of it. I will be lucky to collect social security, if I live that long. 

I didn't read all the responses so this may have been said but I have a couple friends that have their mothers maiden name as a middle name and the first born boy has the grandfathers first name very traditional, in My family all the boys in my generation have the same middle name but for no apparent reason, and many of us know that if mom uses your middle name she means business. Ive noticed that having a cool nick name seems to make kids popular to a point but making a two letter abbreviation TJ ending in A (BA)could be tough. My older sons name is Jacob I mostly call him Jake I can yell it loud  if I really need his attention like when a bird flushes or he is doing something that may cause him harm. Having been to a few graduation ceremonies this year tradition names still seem popular Christopher. Michael etc. I have heard my friends with dual gender names complain at times Jamie, Stacy,Kelly   

I found it interesting that growing up most people called me by my last name and walking around campus with my son many people called him the  same, I have a some what unique business name so most people that know me call me that.

After all that I don't have a name suggestion just some observations 

My mothers maiden name is Stillings and my grandfathers name was Allen. My middle name is Allen. Hard to come up with a name from Stillings. 

I have a question for the Jrs. How do you like being a Jr? I don't think I'd like it personally, haven known some guys with the same name as their dad, so are called Jr either as a name or after their real name like Earl Jr. Do you see it As a tribute to your dad? Do you wish you weren't a Jr, etc.? I'm honestly curious not being judgmental.

6 minutes ago, Brad Eden said:

My mothers maiden name is Stillings and my grandfathers name was Allen. My middle name is Allen. Hard to come up with a name from Stillings. 

I have a question for the Jrs. How do you like being a Jr? I don't think I'd like it personally, haven known some guys with the same name as their dad, so are called Jr either as a name or after their real name like Earl Jr. Do you see it As a tribute to your dad? Do you wish you weren't a Jr, etc.? I'm honestly curious not being judgmental.

Not a junior myself, but I'd be proud to have my Dad's name.  If he were a lousy dad or a POS, maybe not, but he's a good, decent man.

On the other hand, I never would have hung a "Junior" on my kid -- which wasn't really an option given that both my children are girls.

The name junior is for my convenience. Both my boys Ian James and Jacob Sean are called much worse by their buddies...

2 hours ago, Brad Eden said:

I am a junior. My father was IMO a great man, so I have no regrets about having his name. That said, since his death more than a few years ago, I almost never include the junior when signing for anything. This week I renewed my passport and that was the first time in a long time, that I included Jr. at the end.