Names for first born

I don't see where Allen Stillings Eden would have been a handicap to a young lad. my grandfather was a Walter and his an Ellias I lost the battle of Ellias Walter Schafer for my oldest son. Strangely my FIL and I have the same first and middle name but spelled differently.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• topdog1961

• MSchafer

• ryangrouse

• Brad Eden

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Sue

Donald, Brad, or Cooter. 

I guess "Adolf" is not on the table?   How about ... ugh... Window?

I'll echo the general dislike for non traditional spellings of normal names, but they seem popular with a lot of people.  

I would spend a little time thinking of the cruel things other kids will say about any particular name and try to avoid names that are an easy target.  

My wife and I actually used an atlas to help come up with first names for our boys, middle names came from fathers and grandfathers. 

I can tell you first hand, PLEASE think long and hard about whatever name you choose. My mom's favorite movie is "Gone With The Wind". So guess what, I have got to live my whole life as the boy named Ashley! Let me tell you what, that was fun growing up...

53 minutes ago, MTPipeliner said:

I would spend a little time thinking of the cruel things other kids will say about any particular name and try to avoid names that are an easy target.  

Too that point,  heck the initials also.

We named out son after my great uncle Gerhart and everyone calls both of them Hart.  Short, unique and not weird.  I like names that can be shortened and that have meaning.

After going round and round with my wife about names for our son and not getting anywhere, we named him after me (Cameron) and gave him my dad's first name as his middle name. We figured when he got older he would be called either Cameron or Cam, which is how it worked out. 

Family names are great, as are biblical names (my mom named me Michael after the good angel) and names that have survived the test of time. What isn't great are names that are too cute for an adult, or names that are difficult to spell or pronounce.

And think carefully about the name and initials. Ima Hoar or Harry Butt aren't the best choices. My brother and his wife thought they were being respectful when they named their son Richard, after my dad. That worked out OK for Big Dick by not so much for Little Dick. 

Yeah initials can make a difference when our twins were born they were named Lewis R Hunt and Lee R hunt. A few years later, when they were old enough to be responsible about things, I just happened to have a couple of the old made in  England Hardy LRH fly reels still in the box. I gave them each one. The are engraved with a nice LRH in script and my wife went off on me accusing me of naming our sons after a fly reel.My only other piece of advise is that you might want to avoid Ralph. That's my name and though I kind of like it now I heard every puke joke known to man growing up.

My wife and I have thoroughly enjoyed the responses given here.  One name we have liked is Liam, and that was shouted out once or twice here.  As a joke my wife named the baby Gene before we knew what we were having, because it would fit for either a boy or a girl.  I don't want a Gene.

Another name that I recently have liked has been Joel. Knew a buddy's grandpa who was a really cool guy.

Thanks again for all your suggestions, and love hearing the stories behind how a name came to be.

Ryan

Memphis Steve

My wife and I enjoy walking at a historic cemetery in town, Elmwood Cemetery, and when we were expecting our son we saw many older names that we liked. As we walked through the confederate soldiers section I noticed I shared a birthday with one, Capt. Kit Dalton, so now we have a little Dalton. They are a interesting source for names. As topdog1961 mentioned, it's funny how many names you can eliminate because of people you deal with,?. Congrats and wish all great health and memories!

My wife was very concerned about picking a name that kids couldn't use to make fun of our child.  Hours spent discarding names.  As I mentioned, we were prepared for a girl, got a boy.  We finally settled on Ryan.  About a week after getting home, he was crying as babies tend to do.  I said "Ah, cryin Ryan needs me"  Should have seen the look on her face.  It was like she just damned that kid to a lifetime in San Quentin! 

(Me laughing probably didn't help)

You could do like the Commodores say they did when selecting a name for their group: close your eyes, open a dictionary and stick your finger down. They said they were a fraction of an inch from being the Commodes. 

And if you want to see a funny video about names Google "substitute teacher video". 

This is has been postholer pre-approved. 

7 hours ago, sloth5202 said:

My wife is a teacher so picking a name she didn't associate with a terrible student was nearly impossible.

My wife is also a teacher and she remarked that some names just gather kindred spirits, but she can also predict a full moon without going outside.