Sign in to follow this  
Bird Buster

Stand alone Beepers -what do you use or recommend?

Bird Buster

I currently run the Garmin alpha on my 3 brits for tracking and correction but was thinking of adding a beeper collar for just point only mode. I sometimes don't hear the point alarm on the Alpha. What does everyone use for a stand alone beeper and why do you recommend? 

I used a Garmin 220 before for tracking and had separate e collars for each dog. I thought I would like the one collar set up better for track and train but I have found instant spot correction when running multiple dogs with the Alpha slow to accomplish. Almost wish I would have just upgraded to Garmin Astro 430 and maybe just purchased an Ecollar plus beeper set up. How many keep track and train collars separate still? Thanks for advice. 

Coveyrise64
2 hours ago, Bird Buster said:

What does everyone use for a stand alone beeper and why do you recommend? 

.....I have found instant spot correction when running multiple dogs with the Alpha slow to accomplish.

I like the Garmin Beeper for a stand alone option. I use it on Point-Only and can control the On-Off or Locate from my Pro550. Unfortunately it is not compatible with the Alpha.

The Alpha is not the ideal training tool for multiple dogs but it is flexible enough that you can control three dogs from one page with either Momentary, Continuous, Tone, or Vibrate. Each button correlates to the collar and type of correction directly below it. Below I have the Orange Collar set for a 3 Momentary Stimulation and a Tone. That dog is a little older and has some hearing loss so I use the Tone for recall. The Yellow Collar is set for a 2 Momentary. I know what level of stimulation my dogs will respond to so I set the level such that I don't have to raise or lower the level or switch pages.   

screenshot (360x640).jpg

If you only have one dog in the filed you can scroll pages using the <> on the touch screen and modify the page to any type of Stimulation.

screenshot2 (360x640).jpg

cr

WeeWilly

Astro 320-T5/Pro 550 -TT-15 with Garmin beeper is how I roll with my two pooches. I don't always need a beeper but when I do, just push a button.

One dog, no beeper. 

320/T5 and a Pro 70 with 2 collars. 

I greatly prefer having two separate units. 

boilermaker

I bought the Garmin stand alone beeper about 3 years ago.  However positioning was always a problem on the neck of my Brit.  She is smaller and inevitably it would roll onto the neck and project right into her ear.  Two years I found a deal on a Sport Dog Beeper, It had a wider base and thought it would fit my dog better, I found another one a week later and bought it as a back up.  Fast forward to today.  I still have the Garmin and I use it on new dog, just replace battery and GTG.  As for the Sport-Dog, I have had to replace the units multiple times and I currently have units 5 & 6.  SportDog offers a 2 year warranty on the Upland SD beeper and they are great about honoring it but when it breaks, it is useless.  Each unit suffered from the same issue, the tone would lose amplification and go effectively silent.  You could hear the bing if you held it to your ear so it still worked, just no amplification.  I like the options and fit of the Sport Dog unit much better but the Garmin is reliable and that can't be said for the SportDog unit, however again they are great about the warranty.

tut

I have an Astro and a old Tritronics Sport Basic G3 that I know like the back of my hand.  To the Tritronics collar I added a Lovetts stand alone beeper on point only mode.  It rides under Sophie's chin, but it doesn't bother her at all.  A lot depends on the cover I'm going to hunt on what I use.   If its a real windy day, the beeper isn't used and I just go with the Astro and the Sport Basic G3.

PS.  On land I really know well and where she is worked a lot, I often just go with the Beeper and the G3.

hayslope

I use a Lovett VLT beeper collar with a Garmin Alpha.  

tut
1 hour ago, hayslope said:

FWIW, I bought a Sport Dog 1875 last summer and can't stand the sound of the beeper itself.  Wish I could have tried it out first in the store.  Way too high pitched for me.  The Lovett sounds much better and if anything is almost soothing.  Really helpful when you have three guys going in on a point and all three know exactly where the dog is and can safely figure out exactly how to approach to dog and prepare for the flush.

Cooter Brown
2 hours ago, hayslope said:

I've been using the VLT for years.  My left ear doesn't pick up high pitched tones well and I have a hard time zeroing in on most beepers.  The VLT is adjustable for pitch and volume and with the pitch as low as it goes and the volume about mid way I can go right to it.

It's a little bulky but it works beautifully.

I ordered a new one last year and it didn't work properly.  I sent it back to Gun Dog Supply and the replacement was the same.  GDS tested the ones they had and they all seemed to be defective.  Hopefully Lovett's has straightened out whatever the issue was.

tut
1 hour ago, Cooter Brown said:

I've been using the VLT for years.  My left ear doesn't pick up high pitched tones well and I have a hard time zeroing in on most beepers.  The VLT is adjustable for pitch and volume and with the pitch as low as it goes and the volume about mid way I can go right to it.

It's a little bulky but it works beautifully.

I ordered a new one last year and it didn't work properly.  I sent it back to Gun Dog Supply and the replacement was the same.  GDS tested the ones they had and they all seemed to be defective.  Hopefully Lovett's has straightened out whatever the issue was.

Curious what the problem was?

Cooter Brown
2 minutes ago, tut said:

Curious what the problem was?

It would not consistently work properly.  The VLT uses a magnet to activate the switch.  Sometimes it would not activate at all, sometimes it would activate but not cycle through the modes, sometimes it would activate but the tone was barely audible, sometimes it worked properly.  The two I had acted this way and so did the other two GDS had in stock.

The VLT converts DC from the batt to AC--that's what allows the frequency/pitch to be adjusted.  So there's electronics in the thing to make that happen.  I suspect that Lovett's got a bad batch of whatever little circuit board is in the collar.  I doubt they make it in house.  Of course it could be in the switching circuit as well if that's a separate circuit.  Either way it's almost certainly a bad batch of electronics.

It's been a few months since I talked to GDS to ask if they think Lovett's straightened it out.   I called Lovett's but did not hear back.  I think their direct customer service is not great but in fairness to them I only called them once and left a message.

The VLT is a terrific beeper.  My first one got used very hard for seven seasons before it started acting up which is as much as you can ask.  I also have what Lovett's calls their "Add On Beeper" which is what I used most of last year.  It's higher pitched but has worked flawlessly.

I hope they get the issue with the VLT fixed.  It's far and away the best beeper.  Easy to find and I think easiest of all beepers on the dog's ears because of the placement of the horn, the low tone and the ability to adjust the volume.

tut
1 hour ago, Cooter Brown said:

It would not consistently work properly.  The VLT uses a magnet to activate the switch.  Sometimes it would not activate at all, sometimes it would activate but not cycle through the modes, sometimes it would activate but the tone was barely audible, sometimes it worked properly.  The two I had acted this way and so did the other two GDS had in stock.

The VLT converts DC from the batt to AC--that's what allows the frequency/pitch to be adjusted.  So there's electronics in the thing to make that happen.  I suspect that Lovett's got a bad batch of whatever little circuit board is in the collar.  I doubt they make it in house.  Of course it could be in the switching circuit as well if that's a separate circuit.  Either way it's almost certainly a bad batch of electronics.

It's been a few months since I talked to GDS to ask if they think Lovett's straightened it out.   I called Lovett's but did not hear back.  I think their direct customer service is not great but in fairness to them I only called them once and left a message.

The VLT is a terrific beeper.  My first one got used very hard for seven seasons before it started acting up which is as much as you can ask.  I also have what Lovett's calls their "Add On Beeper" which is what I used most of last year.  It's higher pitched but has worked flawlessly.

I hope they get the issue with the VLT fixed.  It's far and away the best beeper.  Easy to find and I think easiest of all beepers on the dog's ears because of the placement of the horn, the low tone and the ability to adjust the volume.

I've also got the Add on Beeper and its been perfect thus far.  If you think that one is high pitched you need to hear the Sport Dog.  Sound like someone is choking a cat. 

Cooter Brown
27 minutes ago, tut said:

I've also got the Add on Beeper and its been perfect thus far.  If you think that one is high pitched you need to hear the Sport Dog.  Sound like someone is choking a cat. 

The add on is the highest toned beeper I could possibly use and it's still too high, but between it and the Alpha I can get close enough to find the dog.

hayslope
20 hours ago, Cooter Brown said:

I've emailed them in the past and someone at Lovett replied back in a fairly short period of time.  I'll try to find the email address for you.

TJK68

I use the Garmin Alpha and the SportDog  SD-Beeper on my two GSP's, works great.