REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UPLAND JOURNAL Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
Bird Buster

Stand alone Beepers -what do you use or recommend?

Dave Quindt

While I've really enjoyed the Astro and Alpha, the fact that Garmin/TriTronics refuses to develop a beeper compatible with the Astro/Alpha results in a long string of expletives every time I have to hang all of the extra crap on my dog.  For years, I ran a Pro 500 with accessory beeper (on point only) + the Astro + a bell.  Now I'm running the Alpha with the beeper and bell on a second collar; it's lighter than the previous setup but I now have to deal with turning the beeper on and off manually, just like I did 20 years ago when I was poor and the technology wasn't as advanced.

I've often thought that if I ever meet a Garmin engineer or product manager, I'm going to have a lot of apologizing to do, given all of the things I've called them and their mothers through the years.

In my world, perfection is listening to the bell when the dog is moving, hearing the beeper when he's on point (with the ability to turn it on and off remotely), a handheld transmitter I can operate without looking at it along with GPS functionality I can look at when needed.  

FWIW,
Dave

Spin

The Lovett ad on beeper either with a tracking collar or alone. no problems whatever.

airmedic1

I run an old TriTronics G3 Pro model and use the ASTRO.  I put two collars on the dogs and have never had any problems.  I used to use the TriTronics beepers that you could turn on from the controller just as a locator in tall grass but switched from that when I got my first ASTRO.  It might just be my imagination but I think that I get more birds now that I have quit using my whistles and that beeper.  I never liked the sound of the beeper anyway and have seen pheasants flush a long ways away from the dog when I turned them on.

If the dogs get too far away now, I just use the tone feature of the collar and they come back.  I very seldom talk to them other than to encourage a retrieve or something like that.

I lost my ASTRO 320 and looked at the Alpha's but I didn't know how well I would be able to make that touch screen work wearing gloves so I am replacing the lost 320 with a 430.  That brought on a whole bunch of other problems since the DC-40 won't work with the 430 so then I needed new collars as well.

I don't know if there is a perfect setup for all situations but I'm going to stay with the two collar system for at least awhile yet.

AM

madduckdog

I really like the Sport Dog add on beeper.. it is expensive but you can adjust volume and choose mode and sound including halk beep... I had the garmin addon and it did not work for me kept shuting off... the old tritronics addon was a loyal friend for many years...

Bird Buster

Tks for ALL the advice. I just recently tried both the Sport Dog Add on beeper and the Garmin Beeper. Was an easy decision I kept the Sport Dog and returned the Garmin. The Garmin had no volume control so was very loud. It was also cheaply made and run mode was 4 seconds only which I really don't like. The Sport Dog was well designed has volume control more tone choices and 10 second run mode. The Sport Dog also fit best on my Garmin TT15 mini tracking collar so I have a one collar set up for track train and beeper. GARMIN Quality seems to be slipping on beeper product. Perhaps they are focusing research on a built in beeper option for Alpha collars. We can only wish. 

caleb
On 3/26/2017 at 5:55 AM, hayslope said:

I use a Lovett VLT beeper collar with a Garmin Alpha.  

Same idea here, but I think I have the one that will either beep or "hawk scream."  I think I've been using this one for about five years, and it's great.  I use an Astro as well for when the dog is out of beeper range, and when I'm lost.

Previously I used the Tritronics beeper, which I hated.

Cooter Brown

I hate to say it but I'm about to give up on Lovett's.  I've been using a VLT for years and it got a little balky.  I bought a new one from Gun Dog Supply last year.  It was defective.  GDS replaced it and the new one was also defective.  So were the ones they had on the shelf.  Obviously Lovett's got a batch of bad chips or something.

I've tried several times to contact Lovett's.  No one answers the phone and they have not returned a message where I say "I want to buy a beeper."

I love the VLT, but  guess I'm going to have to look elsewhere.

The people at Gun Dog Supply say that the beeper market has all but dried up.

mcgreg

Am also a lovetts user here, really like them coz i can hear theyre' low freq beeps. The only troubles experienced on mine is keeping water slurry out of the battery compartment. Been using teflon plumbers paste on the cap theeads to seal it, and that works most of the time. 

Also have a garmen g3 beeper, totally hated it because it has no delay, sounds off even if dog is thinking about stopping to pee.