Technology is going to thin the deer herd!

I was at my our Hoyt bow shop the other day,and he was talking how times are a changing. He use to sell 100+ bows during his open house week,and now is down to 30. Now he sells more crossbows than compound bows. Seems nobody likes to have to practice to be leathal with a bow. They want instant gratification without work. Well the crossbow companies see this,and they are stepping up to the plate. Check out this new super technical crossbow called the Raven. Weight of 6lbs, axle to axle is 6" , arrow speed 425 fps, and can hold 3" groups at 100 yds. If these are allowed for bow season, they might as well as let you use a rifle.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Up North

• garyRI

• popplecop

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I like vertical bows.  I will hunt with them until I can't, then I will hunt with a crossbow.  And I will hunt with whatever I have to use to not be in my house.

A couple years ago I wrecked my Harley and separated my shoulder. I couldn't shoot my compound bow so I bought a crossbow to hunt with that season. I personally didn't care for it. As soon as I was he

If it's a crossbow that will get someone into the woods to hunt that otherwise wouldn't - that's a good thing ?.  We need more hunters at the ballot box. We need more hunting license buyers. We need m

Birdcountry70

Impressive tech.  Thankfully my state doesn't allow crossbows during archery season.  Apparently a controversial topic but I don't view any crossbow as archery tackle.  As the technology continues to advance I'm wondering if any "crossbow during archery season " states will be back pedaling on their decisions or will they just  continue down the anything goes path.

PartridgeCartridge

I think this technology will result in many wounded and unrecovered animals.

In MN you can use a crossbow with a medical exception, or if you are over 60 years old. But alot of surrounding states they are legal,and I think our state is feeling the pressure. I hope it doesn't happen, because if it does they will need to shorten the season for sure.

35 minutes ago, Up North said:

In MN you can use a crossbow with a medical exception, or if you are over 60 years old. But alot of surrounding states they are legal,and I think our state is feeling the pressure. I hope it doesn't happen, because if it does they will need to shorten the season for sure.

Agreed. Every session of our state legislature tries to push crossbows forward. It is going to reach the point of 1 license, choose your weapon, no bow season. 

It happened with blackpowder rifles, so why not crossbows? I've seen friends of mine shot unreal groupings with .50 cal. BP rifles out to 150+ yards. Why not just use the 30.06?  I still shot the old style...

A couple years ago I wrecked my Harley and separated my shoulder. I couldn't shoot my compound bow so I bought a crossbow to hunt with that season. I personally didn't care for it. As soon as I was healed i went back to my vertical bow and sold the crossbow. Since then I have seen several kids shoot deer with a crossbow who I felt didn't earn the shot. Minimal practice, not enough strength to cock the bow, and trying to trade longer shots for woodscraft. I guess I'm biased because I shot about a gazillion practice arrows as a 10-12 year old before I was allowed to shoot at a deer. I like seeing kids in the woods and hunting but don't like it when they take 5 minutes to shoot a deer between soccer practice and dance class. The above comments apply to adults as well. Not really a bias against the crossbow for me as it is against not putting in the time and effort to earn that shot. YMMV.

Just a product of our lazy society. We want it quicker and easier. It will never happen but I would like to see Maine separate the muzzle loading season into traditional and modern muzzleloader.

What is demonstrated is the great precision this crossbow can launch and arrow. If you take note of the trajectory arch of the arrows flight you will notice that at it highest point the arrow is flying well above the target and dropping into the bulls eye. They have the scope set for a high degree of hold over to allow for that great arc. The scope shows no capability for arrow drop compensation but maybe it has it, I doubt it. They must have picked a near windless day too. The bow is not the culprit in making people think deer can be easily shot at 100 yards, it is the video. That bow set to do what it is doing in the video would be pretty much useless at any range shorter than 100 yards and if you have wind, at 100 yards too.

8 hours ago, PartridgeCartridge said:

I think this technology will result in many wounded and unrecovered animals.

absolutely...

Back in the early 90's I was working with a buddy at his bow shop and a good friend of ours was the owner of Gonic muzzle loaders.  We sat down one day and designed a barrel that would fit on a TC contender frame that would accept a aluminum arrow, it was a over sized barrel with a insert 20 inches long that would accept a 22 Cal blank.  Slip the arrow over the blank with the broadhead at the muzzle and you were good to go.  Depending on the 22 blank we used we could get between 400 to 900 FPS with no problem.  It was a fun little gun to play with but it had no practical purpose for us.  Looks like 2 decades later people are starting to play with something like it again only this time they are using Air.  

Bow hunting should be up close and personal if you want to shoot 75-100 yards use a gun

7 hours ago, Kurt said:

The bow is not the culprit in making people think deer can be easily shot at 100 yards, it is the video. 

The video is marketing and certainly can create issues with buyers expectations, reality and ethics.

Many years ago I shot competitive archery and knew quite a few archers then that could shoot groups that tight at that distance with their equipment. Usually they had back tension releases and lenses in their sights and groups like that were shot in calm, perfect conditions. That being stated, most of those people never shot an animal while hunting much over 20 yards. Long range shooting wasn't promoted for hunting around the midwest.

It is interesting on how the archery scene has evolved since I started started in it 40 plus years ago. At that time the compound was just starting to get popular in the hunting scene. There was great debates about how the compound shot like a rifle and that they should be banned. Mechanical releases then moved into the archery arena and they also created quite a stir. I believe in our neighboring state on MN the mechanical release was illegal for many years. I believe the debate was centered around turning the bow into a rifle...... back then there was a rare bow that shot a hunting arrow in excess of 200 fps. Hardly a rifle. 

My wife has started to use a crossbow. Last year she broke her arm and was unable to draw her compound anymore. At 64 years old she didn't want to give up archery so the crossbow was an opportunity. She only takes 20 yard and under shots and and has been very successful with her set up. I shoot a compound and perhaps always will until I can't physically do it. I personally like the compound better.

It seems these equipment discussions turn towards the "since I don't / you shouldn't" type of  thread. I certainly wish people would stop and think or be educated on the responsibility and ethics of the hunt rather than the equipment. You can make bad ethical decisions with any equipment while hunting. Unfortunately in the scheme to market products that "one up" the rest rarely promotes responsibility and ethics. 

I like the fact that youth and ladies (and guys)  that can't physically handle conventual archery equipment efficiently can shoot a crossbow and enjoy the sport of archery. I would much rather have "instant accuracy" equipment being shot than someone that is an extremely poor shot with a compound or recurve out there. To me it is about the hunt. Educate youth and new hunters about taking close ethical shots for clean effective kills and hope they participate in a hunt somewhere. 

Why do we allow rifles and not just percussion black powder, why do we allow compound bows and not just long bows, why do we allow Gps and not just a compass, why do we allow scopes and not just open sights, why do we have Astros on dogs and not just bells, ......

11 minutes ago, CzechSM said:

The video is marketing and certainly can create issues with buyers expectations, reality and ethics.

Many years ago I shot competitive archery and knew quite a few archers then that could shoot groups that tight at that distance with their equipment. Usually they had back tension releases and lenses in their sights and groups like that were shot in calm, perfect conditions. That being stated, most of those people never shot an animal while hunting much over 20 yards. Long range shooting wasn't promoted for hunting around the midwest.

It is interesting on how the archery scene has evolved since I started started in it 40 plus years ago. At that time the compound was just starting to get popular in the hunting scene. There was great debates about how the compound shot like a rifle and that they should be banned. Mechanical releases then moved into the archery arena and they also created quite a stir. I believe in our neighboring state on MN the mechanical release was illegal for many years. I believe the debate was centered around turning the bow into a rifle...... back then there was a rare bow that shot a hunting arrow in excess of 200 fps. Hardly a rifle. 

My wife has started to use a crossbow. Last year she broke her arm and was unable to draw her compound anymore. At 64 years old she didn't want to give up archery so the crossbow was an opportunity. She only takes 20 yard and under shots and and has been very successful with her set up. I shoot a compound and perhaps always will until I can't physically do it. I personally like the compound better.

It seems these equipment discussions turn towards the "since I don't / you shouldn't" type of  thread. I certainly wish people would stop and think or be educated on the responsibility and ethics of the hunt rather than the equipment. You can make bad ethical decisions with any equipment while hunting. Unfortunately in the scheme to market products that "one up" the rest rarely promotes responsibility and ethics. 

I like the fact that youth and ladies (and guys)  that can't physically handle conventual archery equipment efficiently can shoot a crossbow and enjoy the sport of archery. I would much rather have "instant accuracy" equipment being shot than someone that is an extremely poor shot with a compound or recurve out there. To me it is about the hunt. Educate youth and new hunters about taking close ethical shots for clean effective kills and hope they participate in a hunt somewhere. 

Well said.

What happened to "Its the Indian, not the arrow"?

It is how one uses the his equipment, not the equipment.

Humans tend to "improve" things beyond recognition. Just about any weapon has been improved considerably in the last few decades. Even shotguns.

I agree with CzechSM that the Xbow can improve accuracy and result in less wounded game...when used within the weapons limits and the hunters skill set. Stretch those and that is when wounding becomes more of a risk.

8 hours ago, Kurt said:

What is demonstrated is the great precision this crossbow can launch and arrow. If you take note of the trajectory arch of the arrows flight you will notice that at it highest point the arrow is flying well above the target and dropping into the bulls eye. They have the scope set for a high degree of hold over to allow for that great arc. The scope shows no capability for arrow drop compensation but maybe it has it, I doubt it. They must have picked a near windless day too. The bow is not the culprit in making people think deer can be easily shot at 100 yards, it is the video. That bow set to do what it is doing in the video would be pretty much useless at any range shorter than 100 yards and if you have wind, at 100 yards too.

It comes with the scope,and it has mil.dots calibrated to 100 yards.