Technology is going to thin the deer herd!

Some people seem to think Compounds are too easy and practically shoot themselves too. And same for traditional muzzleloaders and modern inlines. But crossbows are a quandary being about half compound bow and half rifle.

Cross bows are huge now. We have restricted use of them in Maine. Generally you need to take an Archery and a crossbow course, and have a big game license. And you can't use them in any of the Archery seasons, muzzleloader season or fall turkey. Which leaves the November firearm season on deer and spring turkey. There is a provision that if 70 years or older you can use them in any season or species. Also a person with a permanent disability can use them season and species wide with a special handicap permit.

I predict they will eventually be allowed during Archery seasons in Maine. The argument being the deer are managed via limits etc., so the point is to take x amount of deer, so what difference does it make what tool you use. The argument against is they are too easy and the Archery Season will fill up with people, harm the herd and compromise the very conservative limits already in place. Frankly, I think less deer will be wounded and lost as compared to trad or compound Archery. Sure longer shots will be tempting, but they are simply more accurate out of the box. I'm a bit ambivelant about them at this point as far as when they can be used for hunting.

They are cool contraptions, and Idsure like to try shooting one, but unless Im 70 or blow out my shoulder I'll stick to a compound bow, for deer and sometimes turkey because of the challenge.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Up North

• garyRI

• popplecop

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I like vertical bows.  I will hunt with them until I can't, then I will hunt with a crossbow.  And I will hunt with whatever I have to use to not be in my house.

A couple years ago I wrecked my Harley and separated my shoulder. I couldn't shoot my compound bow so I bought a crossbow to hunt with that season. I personally didn't care for it. As soon as I was he

If it's a crossbow that will get someone into the woods to hunt that otherwise wouldn't - that's a good thing ?.  We need more hunters at the ballot box. We need more hunting license buyers. We need m

I haven't shot my bow in 3 years do to some sever shoulder inpingments had it dialed back to the safest point and still no good my Dr. who also hunts has said I more than qualified for a medical waver even before Ohio made them legal, but I still struggled with how I wanted to hunt ,the freezer is now empty so i may move on this after all with some further investigating.

To clarify. I think if an "archer" wanted to switch to hunting with a crossbow or this contraption ~ fine.  The problem for me is here in NY No former archery experience necessary to hunt with one.

the weakness I see of crossbows is if the bolts are short and relatively lightweight, penetration on big game is going to be compromised if long shots are taken  and unfortunately they are marketed as accurate at long distances. 

also a short arrow means a short power stroke which is why the draw poundage must be very high compared to standard compound bow to compensate for the shorter time on the string

the heavier an arrow with similar velocity the better it penetrates 

if the people using them use good judgement and limit themselves to taking close range shots i don't see a problem with them

I have a Barnett Ghost that has a 410fps "muzzle velocity". Have only wrung it out to 70 yards where it produced about 3 MOA accuracy. Shooting closer I never shoot at the same target as it is highly probable I will hit another bolt already in the target but past 40 or 50 yards it becomes very obvious that it takes a long time for the bolt to get there.

I carry a range finder and to pass the time range on the trees, rocks, whatnot around me & have observed that in the woods 40 yard unobstructed opportunities are about max. Occasionally 60.

Re: penetration compromised - disagree

take a look at http://www.bestcrossbowsource.com/crossbow-arrow-ballistics-calculator

A bolt shot at 410 is going 377fps at 70 yards

I am an unapologetic hunter & use the best technology available deer hunting allowed by law.

Game departments don't care how or whether you kill something, just that they sell another license while manufacturers having saturated the market with verticle bows are doing everything they can to spark interest in the next alternative.

Sportmen will always question new gadgets enabling someone to kill a game animal with the least amount of skill required, myself included.

21 minutes ago, Randy S said:

Game departments don't care how or whether you kill something, just that they sell another license

I don't believe this statement is entirely true. Game depts. are in charge of managing not only our wildlife, but also us hunters.

Every game dept. manages hunters to some extent. Some game depts. allow bait, some don't. Some have limited tag areas, some allow Xbows in the archery season etc.  I do think some states are better at it than others, but that is just my personal opinion. 

I bought a Polar LTD compound longbow in the late 70s, and learned to shoot it well.  But I was just a teenager with no place to deer hunt and no one to show me how. I don’t recall what happened to the bow, but I never touched another for 30 years.  Then my 10 year old son, maybe 75lbs, wanted to bow hunt.  I bought a 15 year old 10 point Xbow for $100.  It shoots sub 300 fps.  That was 5 years ago and we still use it.  We only take ethical and legal shots of 25 yards or less, our freezer is full every year but we don't take more than we need, I’ve taken several of his friends out who have killed deer that otherwise would never get to hunt, and I make no apologies nor feel any shame. 

17 minutes ago, topdog1961 said:

...and I make no apologies nor feel any shame. 

Oh come on, us compound and inline users have been apologizing and feeling shamed for years....spread the shame around a little.:o;)

4 hours ago, garyRI said:

I am an unapologetic hunter & use the best technology available deer hunting allowed by law.

Like I said

On 1/28/2017 at 10:29 PM, OldSarge said:

A couple years ago I wrecked my Harley and separated my shoulder. I couldn't shoot my compound bow so I bought a crossbow to hunt with that season. I personally didn't care for it. As soon as I was healed i went back to my vertical bow and sold the crossbow. Since then I have seen several kids shoot deer with a crossbow who I felt didn't earn the shot. Minimal practice, not enough strength to cock the bow, and trying to trade longer shots for woodscraft. I guess I'm biased because I shot about a gazillion practice arrows as a 10-12 year old before I was allowed to shoot at a deer. I like seeing kids in the woods and hunting but don't like it when they take 5 minutes to shoot a deer between soccer practice and dance class. The above comments apply to adults as well. Not really a bias against the crossbow for me as it is against not putting in the time and effort to earn that shot. YMMV.

It's getting like this in other types of hunting too, like duck hunting for example. I played a video for my older brother showing him the swimming duck decoys and mojos used now and he couldn't believe it, felt it wasn't fair.  I've observed guys hunting who couldn't blow a call, didn't have decoy except a mojo. Stuck it in the shallows and waited for a duck to come to it.  

You see the same thing with turkey decoys.  It takes some time and practice to learn how to call ducks and turkeys.    

It's a fine line, I' m not always sure where it's at  and it's definitely subjective. 

Birdcountry70
On 1/29/2017 at 7:51 AM, UplandHntr said:

Why do we allow rifles and not just percussion black powder, why do we allow compound bows and not just long bows, why do we allow Gps and not just a compass, why do we allow scopes and not just open sights, why do we have Astros on dogs and not just bells, ......

I think we can all agree that if we didn't have any boundaries or limits on methods and equipment it wouldn't be good for the wildlife or the hunting public. We could expand the list to make that seems obvious. Why must I use a fishing pole when I could catch more trout by stringing a gill net across the river. Why am I stuck with a shotgun when I could get one of those neat net guns like the fish & game uses on sage grouse. Night vision, drones, trail cams, 2-way radios........making the choices on what is allowed and what isn't is getting more complicated all the time. I'm glad it's not my job. Just my opinion of course. 

I think the states that allow crossbows for archery season are going to have to shorten the season. Our muzzle loader season use to be either sex, now it is bucks only unless you put in for the doe lottery. I can see archery going the same way with this kind of technology. 

15 hours ago, Brad Eden said:

Oh come on, us compound and inline users have been apologizing and feeling shamed for years....spread the shame around a little.:o;)

OH !!!   speak for yourself I could give a rats ass ....:D