Technology is going to thin the deer herd!

Do use a x bow due to shoulder repairs and old age, but still shoot traditional muzzleloaders.  Both flinters and percussion, but will plead guilty to using a peep on one percussion gun.  With the x bow 40-45 yds. max and 75- 80- yds. max with blackpowder.  Oh yes, did I mention I still shoot round patched balls over BP.  These are my personal choices.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Up North

• garyRI

• popplecop

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I like vertical bows.  I will hunt with them until I can't, then I will hunt with a crossbow.  And I will hunt with whatever I have to use to not be in my house.

A couple years ago I wrecked my Harley and separated my shoulder. I couldn't shoot my compound bow so I bought a crossbow to hunt with that season. I personally didn't care for it. As soon as I was he

If it's a crossbow that will get someone into the woods to hunt that otherwise wouldn't - that's a good thing ?.  We need more hunters at the ballot box. We need more hunting license buyers. We need m

Another observation....when I first started bowhunting I was young and stupid. I thought I had to pull 70 lbs to be a "real bowhunter". Well, I blew out my shoulder by pulling too much draw weight. I spent a winter plus using one of those surgical tube bow exercise thingies. Built the shoulder back up, and learned my lesson. Any game in America can be killed with a 50-60lb compound bow all things considered. My comfort zone and the sweet spot with my Mathews Outback is 58-60 lbs which maxes out the limbs on this bow. 

If I hadn't been able to exercise my shoulder to the point I could draw a bow again without pain, I can see how a crossbow would have been an alternative.

I like vertical bows.  I will hunt with them until I can't, then I will hunt with a crossbow.  And I will hunt with whatever I have to use to not be in my house.

On 2017-01-28 at 9:46 PM, PartridgeCartridge said:

I think this technology will result in many wounded and unrecovered animals.

Not so. We have been able to use crossbows during archery seasons up here in Ontario forever. You still need to get within archery ranges when using s crossbow. You need to "hunt" your deer just like a conventional bow. It is more likely a person goes to Basspro and buys s kit bow and without getting proficient with it goes out and wounds game due to lack of skill. I was a very serious bowhunter for many years and quite often upgraded my compound every year as new stuff came out. My shoulder is now wrecked so bought a xbow in case i decided to bowhunt. I have near given up bowhunting now that I have bird dogs but would have no issue using a xbow. If they make it less likely of a bad shot happening I see that as a good thing. 

I gave my compound bow to a nephew a few years back but most anyone can hit a pie plate at 25 yards with one after a couple practice sessions. In my experience a fast crossbow moves doable shots out to 40 yards. I use the first pin on my Ghost for 40 yards. I know it is 2" high at 30.

They just aren't guns. Today is the last day of archery in Rhode Island. Sitting at the edge of a pasture in a tree stand saw 6 anterless this AM moving at quick walk at a CPA of 65 yards. They then hung up at around 80-85. The bleat call didn't work this time, but there just was't a shot there with anything other than a firearm.

PartridgeCartridge
12 hours ago, terrym said:

You still need to get within archery ranges when using s crossbow.

I understand that but that video suggests something totally different. 

37 minutes ago, PartridgeCartridge said:

I understand that but that video suggests something totally different. 

I know guys who can shoot incredible groups at 100 yds with compound bows. The trajectory is crazy though and they would never shoot at game at those distances. 

I would agree that a 100 yard shot at a deer should be made with another implement. I hunt with a crossbow and I hunt on the ground. When a deer, even one i do not intend to shoot, is standing just a few feet away oblivious to me, or it thinks somethings there and by staying motionless I make it believe nothing is wrong, well then i understand what the kids mean when they say "cool" or "that's a rush". Do they still say that kind of thing? 

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/30/2017 at 11:30 PM, Up North said:

I think the states that allow crossbows for archery season are going to have to shorten the season. Our muzzle loader season use to be either sex, now it is bucks only unless you put in for the doe lottery. I can see archery going the same way with this kind of technology. 

Yep if only these new hunters realized how the bow season even came about... especially  in Wisconsin.  If only they were required to learn of the history.

For those that don't know it's an interesting read about Roy Case.

As a kid I hunted groundhogs with a 20lb long bow then began deer hunting with  a 40lb re-curve. When compounds came out a I bought a Fred Bear Black-tail at 50lb. I used that as long as I could then had to give up archery for a few years until PA allowed crossbows. To harvest an antler less deer in PA archery you need a antler-less permit( luck of the draw), it has always been that way. 

I've been thinking about getting a crossbow.....which I can use legally here now that I turned 50. Seem like it would be more fun that a regular bow.......I gave that up 10 years ago.......Mostly because I was sick of climbing trees and getting up early. Heck if I can carry a crossbow around in the truck and shoot 100 yards that sounds like fun!

The bolt may travel a 100 yards, but does it have enough velocity to penetrate in to the vitals.  I shoot a fairly pricey reverse x bow and would not shoot at a deer over 50 yard maybe 60 at the most.  The x bows are very accurate, but require some difficulty to cock without a mechanical cocking devise and care must be taken discharcing the at the end of the hunt.  Plus a lot heavier than a bow, even a decked out compound.

On 2/21/2017 at 8:00 AM, popplecop said:

The bolt may travel a 100 yards, but does it have enough velocity to penetrate in to the vitals.  I shoot a fairly pricey reverse x bow and would not shoot at a deer over 50 yard maybe 60 at the most.  The x bows are very accurate, but require some difficulty to cock without a mechanical cocking devise and care must be taken discharcing the at the end of the hunt.  Plus a lot heavier than a bow, even a decked out compound.

Looking at the following I'd expect velocity at 100 yards to still be >300fps

http://www.bestcrossbowsource.com/crossbow-arrow-ballistics-calculator

It takes less skill to shoot a crossbow accurately than a compound bow, so I think as they become more popular it will result in less wounded animals, not more.  I'm all for the use of anything that makes someone a more accurate hunter.  Airbows, laser sights, suppressors, lighter calibers, etc.  I know a bunch of hunters do't shoot their compound all year and then go wound the first deer or three they see each season.