Technology is going to thin the deer herd!

3 hours ago, popplecop said:

Gary,  What are you looking at?  Would like to see where they got their data.

http://www.bestcrossbowsource.com/crossbow-arrow-ballistics-calculator

Sorry I didn't attach the reference

I assume they get their info from cronographs. I haven't seen anyone at my gun club using one but they aren't that expensive anymore.

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Up North

• garyRI

• popplecop

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I like vertical bows.  I will hunt with them until I can't, then I will hunt with a crossbow.  And I will hunt with whatever I have to use to not be in my house.

A couple years ago I wrecked my Harley and separated my shoulder. I couldn't shoot my compound bow so I bought a crossbow to hunt with that season. I personally didn't care for it. As soon as I was he

If it's a crossbow that will get someone into the woods to hunt that otherwise wouldn't - that's a good thing ?.  We need more hunters at the ballot box. We need more hunting license buyers. We need m

Fishnfowler

On Wednesday, February 22, 2017 at 6:31 AM, MAArcher said:

It takes less skill to shoot a crossbow accurately than a compound bow, so I think as they become more popular it will result in less wounded animals, not more.  I'm all for the use of anything that makes someone a more accurate hunter.  Airbows, laser sights, suppressors, lighter calibers, etc.  I know a bunch of hunters do't shoot their compound all year and then go wound the first deer or three they see each season.     

This.  My stomach turns when I hear someone brag about the 80+ yard shot they took with their compound.  The crossbow is no different.  People also take 400+ yard shots with rifles when they have no business doing so.

Seems like the fish and game departments keep coming up with new special weapons seasons for the deer hunters.  Rifles, bow, crossbows, muzzle loaders.  What's next, ball bat season?  How many ways can they legislate to kill a deer?  Why not just have deer season and everyone show up with their weapon of choice to kill their deer?  When all the special deer seasons are strung together in PA for example it goes on for months.  No other hunting seasons are handled in this manner, at least where I live.

16 minutes ago, Curt said:

Seems like the fish and game departments keep coming up with new special weapons seasons for the deer hunters.  Rifles, bow, crossbows, muzzle loaders.  What's next, ball bat season?  How many ways can they legislate to kill a deer?  Why not just have deer season and everyone show up with their weapon of choice to kill their deer?  When all the special deer seasons are strung together in PA for example it goes on for months.  No other hunting seasons are handled in this manner, at least where I live.

Thats no fun at all. That doesn't allow the opportunity for people to bitch and moan about modern weapons being too big an advantage. We should all hunt in loinclothes and with slingshots. It's only fair...obviously I am being a wise ass. I'm guessing that management as a whole has something to do with all the different seasons, but generally I imagine its an attempt to keep every faction happy.

28 minutes ago, Brad Eden said:

Thats no fun at all. That doesn't allow the opportunity for people to bitch and moan about modern weapons being too big an advantage. We should all hunt in loinclothes and with slingshots. It's only fair...obviously I am being a wise ass. I'm guessing that management as a whole has something to do with all the different seasons, but generally I imagine its an attempt to keep every faction happy.

It seems like to much to me, but then I'm not a deer hunter, I know your are though.  How about we do the same with the grouse/woodcock seasons?  We'll have 28 ga only with dogs, followed by 28 ga only without dog seasons.  Then we'll follow up with the same pattern for all the various gauges.  Then we'll get into the special muzzle loading shotgun bird season and we may as well throw in at least one archery grouse and woodcock season as well.  Then when that's over we can have another late muzzle loader and archery grouse/woodcock season to finish off the year.  Then if the deer hunters get that 'ball bat' season, we'll want that too.

In Maine, for deer, we have an expanded bow season: generally Sept 10-Dec 12 in specific zones. A regular Archery season, statewide in October. Compound and traditional bows are allowed in both, but I think you need to be disabled to use a crossbow. A Firearms deer season: November.  A Muzzleloader season that generally runs Dec 1 to the 14th, both inline and traditional allowed. Not really that complicated when you examine it.

has nothing to do with hunting, special weapon seasons are "sold" as added challenge but in reality are lobbyist driven to create a market for a product

if there was no special season for muzzle loaders very few would be sold

always follow the money

bobman,  Not true in Wisconsin, our special seasons have come through the Conservation Congress, which may be unique to our state.  The 2nd Monday in April a public hearing is held in every county in the state and here's where most of our special seasons come from.  May take several years to become a regulation or may die on the vine.

In NH a Non Permanently Disabled Hunter can only use a Crossbow during the regular gun season and you must use your firearms permit to tag your deer.  You can not use it during any other season and a Crossbow can not be used for the youth hunt the fee is $5 yearly to use one.

A Permanently Disabled Hunter can apply for a Crossbow permit it requires Doctor Certification. 

There must be a permanent physical disability and as a result of that permanent physical disability the person cannot operate a conventional bow or compound bow safely. The physician must provide a narrative, in terms that a lay person can understand, as to how the permanent physical disability directly effected the operation of the conventional or compound bow. If there is any question of the applicant meeting the criteria the applicant is subject to a review by a medical review board at the expense of the applicant.

There is little to no advantage to use a Crossbow in NH unless you are Permanently Disabled

Birdcountry70

In MT we have a 5 week archery season, Crossbows not allowed then there is a week of no hunting and then a general season for 5 more weeks open to all types of firearms and crossbows and

archery tackle too. If you want to use a crossbow for the added challenge it provides you get 5 weeks to do it. If you want to use a crossbow for the extra advantage during archery season you are out of luck. I have never seen anyone hunt with a crossbow In my state. 

On 4/2/2017 at 1:13 PM, WPG Gizmo said:

There is little to no advantage to use a Crossbow in NH unless you are Permanently Disabled

I might be misunderstanding what you're trying to say here, but there are huge advantages if you could use a crossbow in NH.  There are so many spots in southern NH where its just barely legal to hunt, being 100 yards from a building in every direction.  I wouldn't shoot a gun there because even though you're legal you would be guaranteed to have a cop or warden waiting at your truck when you walked out.  But if you could use a crossbow it would be a lot stealthier and it would be a lot less likely for someone to call the police on you.  Lots of guys say just use a bow, which I do, but with my crappy eyes I can't see through a peep at last light, but I can see a red dot crossbow scope.  Most deer move between sunset and a half hour later at last legal light, and I can't bow hunt during that time because I can't see through my peep.  

I think they should make crossbows legal for faltering eyes or allow use of artificial light during legal hunting hours.  Why shouldn't I get to hunt during the best times just because my eyes are getting old?

Sorry but I stand by what I said you have no advantage using a Crossbow in NH and the law is very specific on using lights during hunting season in NH.  IF you want to use a rifle or shotgun with optics that's fine and you can legally use a suppressor for hunting in NH.  The issue that is going to get you one day is that your hunting in areas that are barely legal 100 yards away from a occupied building.  I know a few of the local GW's from work and they will tell you that while you may be legal where you are standing the shot you took wasn't due to where the animal was standing.  Not worth the problems that may arise but YMMV

OceanRoamer

If it's a crossbow that will get someone into the woods to hunt that otherwise wouldn't - that's a good thing ?.  We need more hunters at the ballot box. We need more hunting license buyers. We need more people, who through hunting, have gained an appreciation for the resource and the public land access that makes hunting possible for millions.

Reasons why we hunt have been explored in other threads. A common theme in those discussions is how our reasons evolve over a lifetime. Those reasons will always influence the technology we use in hunting. Those reasons fall along a spectrum of "filling the freezer" on one end to "circle of life" communion on the other end. There is room for everyone as long as the resource exists and the access is available.