Technology is going to thin the deer herd!

On 2/17/2017 at 0:57 AM, Kurt said:

To harvest an antler less deer in PA archery you need a antler-less permit( luck of the draw), it has always been that way. 

You've needed a "doe license" to kill a doe for the past 35 years or so.  Before that you got a deer tag with your regular hunting license and the limit was one deer a year.  You could shoot a doe with your bow and attach the tag issued with your license and you were done deer hunting for the year (even rifle buck season).   That was when the county specific antlerless licenses were sold, but didn't include a tag.   The doe license just let you hunt for doe the 3 days after buck season if you hadn't already killed a deer that year. 

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Up North

• garyRI

• popplecop

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I like vertical bows.  I will hunt with them until I can't, then I will hunt with a crossbow.  And I will hunt with whatever I have to use to not be in my house.

A couple years ago I wrecked my Harley and separated my shoulder. I couldn't shoot my compound bow so I bought a crossbow to hunt with that season. I personally didn't care for it. As soon as I was he

If it's a crossbow that will get someone into the woods to hunt that otherwise wouldn't - that's a good thing ?.  We need more hunters at the ballot box. We need more hunting license buyers. We need m

These crossbows are selling out before they even get on the shelf. Our local pro shop was only allotted 2 because they can't keep up with the demand. 

On 1/28/2017 at 9:12 PM, Up North said:

Seems nobody likes to have to practice to be leathal with a bow. They want instant gratification without work. Well the crossbow companies see this,and they are stepping up to the plate. Check out this new super technical crossbow called the Raven. Weight of 6lbs, axle to axle is 6" , arrow speed 425 fps, and can hold 3" groups at 100 yds. If these are allowed for bow season, they might as well as let you use a rifle.

You're casting way to wide a net there.  There's a ton of guys that just don't have the time.  Shooting a traditional bow takes a huge investment of time, and you have to be blessed with a measure of skill to start too.  A compound bow is easier, but it still takes time.  I'm sure there's a bunch of guys who would like to practice, but if you have a mortgage, house, wife, kids, dog and a 50 or 60 hour work week, it doesn't leave a bunch of time to fling arrows, especially if you have any other interests.  Not to mention aging eyesight and back muscles.  

There's a big long list of practical and rational reasons why every state should jump on the chance to make crossbows legal during bow and gun season; there's only a very short list of impractical and arbitrary reasons why they shouldn't.  If they made that crossbow legal in NH, I'd sell my bows and couple guns to get it and never look back.

There has been in place for many years a medical exception/age requirement  to have a permit for hunting with a crossbow in MN, not sure about other states. As far as time goes, yes it takes time to practice. That's why not everyone bow hunts, just like not everyone bird hunts. For it to takes time, and money to have and train a dog. If it was legal for all to hunt the whole bow season with weapons like this they might as well open firearm season September 15 and not exclude anyone. 

1 hour ago, Up North said:

There has been in place for many years a medical exception/age requirement  to have a permit for hunting with a crossbow in MN, not sure about other states. As far as time goes, yes it takes time to practice. That's why not everyone bow hunts, just like not everyone bird hunts. For it to takes time, and money to have and train a dog. If it was legal for all to hunt the whole bow season with weapons like this they might as well open firearm season September 15 and not exclude anyone. 

Now you're getting it.  The biologists should say the deer herd can sustain X amount of deer to be taken this year, then X amounts of permits for those dear are distributed fairly (lottery or whatever) and then we go get the deer we're allotted however we choose.  Its no one else's business if you want to kill your food with a knife or a thermal equipped sniper rifle or something in between.     Wild protein is something  we all have an innate right to.  For one guy to tell another he can't have any unless he uses a bow, or passes a hunters safety course or only does it in accordance with this "tradition" or that "sporting" way is BS.