Skunk Removal Recipe

Brookieslayer

Another good one is Natures Miracle Skunk remover, I carry a bottle in the rig at all times during the skunk season. Not sure if it is available in the US but I think it is. this stuff works well, no mixing, ready to go out of the bottle, so it is easier in the field.

• 2 months later...

Visitors from church were coming to the farm for lunch today. Just before they arrived Carly trotted around the corner of the house holding a skunk by it's head. Max had a back leg.They plopped it right down on the front step., nice and fresh. A job well done. Thanks Brad for pinning this recipe.

• 6 months later...

Had to use this recipe today. They tossed it back and for like a toy.

Thanks for posting

Walked into 7-11 at 2 am and bought 2 bottles of hydrogen peroxide. Got some pretty strange looks.

• 11 months later...

Thought it might be worthwhile resurrecting this old thread.  

https://www.odorxit.com/how-to/remove-skunk-spray-from-dog-and-pet

I have used this product multiple times in my dogs and others. It flat works!  Brass "recipe" works also, but in my experience this is easier, quicker, and more effective.  As always YMMV.

1 hour ago, bigjohnsd said:

Thought it might be worthwhile resurrecting this old thread.  

https://www.odorxit.com/how-to/remove-skunk-spray-from-dog-and-pet

I have used this product multiple times in my dogs and others. It flat works!  Brass "recipe" works also, but in my experience this is easier, quicker, and more effective.  As always YMMV.

Thanks for the link. This is made locally for me. Brad's recipe works, if you don't  have this product. I've used it. I would add DocE's suggestion about Dawn as a detergent choice.

• 5 months later...

I had a Boykin that was in the "will never learn" and got nailed many times. I used this formula with great success with one minor modification. Washed the dog first to be sure she was soaked to the skin. Also used the formula on her "face" and quickly rinsed eyes with water.

• 5 months later...
Mike da Carpenter

Sadly, I had to pull this thread up a little bit ago for our GSP.  He came in this morning acting quite odd...then the smell hit me.  

If there is any bit of good news, I had to forward the thread to my wife and youngest son so they could deal with it because our oldest son and I each had to go to work.  And yes, we left a bit earlier than normal.  HA!!

• 4 weeks later...

Had cause to mix up some remover today, my buddy's Brit stuck a solid point in a place that we figured had to hold another little field sparrow that both dogs had found plenty of.  I walked right by him, maybe 10-15ft away in the thick stuff and thought of kicking around but luckily didn't.  He finally dove in briefly then came back out and Mike smelled it first.  Then I did.  For being skunked it wasn't bad, I couldn't see any liquid on him and the grass seemed to drag much of it away by the time we got back to the truck.  Upwind passes let me know Mocha had been hit, and I mentioned that I only had 2/3 of the ingredients.  Made that 3/3 when I remembered a bar of LAVA soap in my hunting bag---Mike cut a water bottle in half and I worked up some lather with a bit of water in the bottom of it, then we added one of the bottles of peroxide and guessed at 1/8cup of baking soda.  Mike donned gloves and worked it into the pup's fur, quite quickly there was no longer any smell.  Into the car with both Mike and dog and windows open a little, we were pretty lucky there was not a real direct hit in the pup's face and apparently not much on him at all.

mocha1.jpg