Toyota 4Runner

Eric Rinehart

I was deciding between a Jeep Grand Cherokee and the 4Runner and was amazed at how much more stuff you could get on the Jeep for relatively the same money.   Then it dawned on me - the Jeeps aren't holding their value like the Toys.   The other thing I really like about the Toy is that it is still a truck frame and you have a transfer case, not AWD or some variation of it.  With traction control and hill descent in low range, this is a nice set up.    Like Tut, I was able to purchase the SR5 with the premium package - leather, heated seats, nav, etc.  It makes for a very comfortable ride and with a tow capacity of 4700 lbs, might be able to get a nice small camper. 

Eric

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sschultz

• Eric Rinehart

• DAG

• martyg

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Sat in a 2012 SR5 for approximately five minutes, looked around at the space and immediately headed to the full size truck dealerships

I have a 6 cyl. 2006 RAV4 for my hunting rig. It's just usually me and the dog but it will fit 2 guys, 2 dogs and gear with no problem. Put an aggressive tread on the tires and it will go anywhere tha

I purchased a use 2015 last fall, but I haven't put it into hunting mode yet.  My dog's health was such that I wasn't able to hunt him this year so I didn't make any preparations for crates, etc.    M

5 hours ago, WPG Gizmo said:

I currently have a 03 4th Gen 4Runner with the V8 all wheel drive it is a beast.  I fold down the rear seat and put 3 dogs in with no problem mine does not have the 3rd seat.

Gas mileage is not great but I get 19 on the highway as long as I dont get into the pedal but when you do you know you have a V8

Some recommendations if you get a 8 change out the exhaust to a Magnaflow cat back it comes out the side not straight back if you tow anything the heat from the straight back pipe will cause damage.  A coil lift is recommended if your going way off road it raises the front 3 inches and the rear 2 allowing larger tires.  There are some other thing I have done but they are the basic ones.

Things to look for they have a timing belt which should be changed at 90K not a cheap job.  Brake calipers tend to freeze up.  There is a dash replacement recall the dash tends to melt in the heat on some vehicles enough that they issued a replacement recall. 

I have seen a lot of Commanders for sale Jeep stopped making them a few years ago the Toyota have way more interior room then they do

Good advice.  Cracked exhaust manifolds are a problem on Gen 4's also.  Not sure if the frame rust issues hit these or not; check it out though.

Huge T4R Forum with lots of info.

7 hours ago, WPG Gizmo said:

Things to look for they have a timing belt which should be changed at 90K not a cheap job.  

The 6 cyl has a timing chain on the 4th generation.  Something to consider for long term maint. costs.

Don't overlook the Lexus GX-470s. Basically same as the 4 Runner. Buying used gets rid of most of the Lexus upcharge. I won't be trading my 2008 GX-470 for a long, long time.

3 hours ago, Bob Blair said:

Don't overlook the Lexus GX-470s. Basically same as the 4 Runner. Buying used gets rid of most of the Lexus upcharge. I won't be trading my 2008 GX-470 for a long, long time.

X2

Eric Rinehart
14 hours ago, Bob Blair said:

My impression of the GX-470's, based on the body lines, is that they are Lexus's version of the Land Cruiser, not the 4Runner.  After watching a couple of youtube comparisons, I see your point.  Very nice upgrade to the 4Runner. 

Eric

I had a 3rd gen 4runner Ltd with factory electric locker, it would go anywhere. I built drawers for it and mounted 2 kennels in it. When Iwas alone it was all the room I needed. I gave it to my daughter to take to college as I wanted her safe in the snow. At 250K its still running like a top. Some minor sensor replacements and the like along the way. What amazes me is how little suspension work it needs. I did struts because I felt ride was getting little bouncy but my front end guy say all the rest is good as gold. 

2 hours ago, Eric Rinehart said:

My impression of the GX-470's, based on the body lines, is that they are Lexus's version of the Land Cruiser, not the 4Runner.  After watching a couple of youtube comparisons, I see your point.  Very nice upgrade to the 4Runner. 

Eric

Lexus LX = Toyota Land Cruiser

The GX is actually built on the Toyota Prado which is not available in America. 

1 hour ago, sschultz said:

Is the Lexus as good off-road as the 4Runner.

Yes, we've taken ours all over 4x4 trails in colorado. People assume that because it's a Lexus it's a pavement princess but it is extremely capable. 99% of owners have no idea/don't care what a great off-road vehicle they have. 

Sat in a 2012 SR5 for approximately five minutes, looked around at the space and immediately headed to the full size truck dealerships