REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UPLAND JOURNAL Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
PaFlyfisher

Subaru Crosstrek w/Intermediate Dog Crate?

PaFlyfisher

Can anyone comment on how well an intermediate sized dog crate fits in the back of a Subaru Crosstrek with the rear seats folded up? I need to be able to haul a dog crate that fits a springer spaniel, and 4 people. Any overall comments on the Crosstrek, and pics of a crate in the back would be very helpful. 

Thanks. 

JWP58

I doubt it. We had a crosstrek for two years and I don't think I could fit my smallest britts kennel without folding down on rear seat.

Crazy Horse

Two years ago I looked into a Crosstrek and almost bought one. Fortunately the salesman had me take a ride in a Forester and that completely changed my mind. The Forester is much more comfortable and roomy. The cost difference isn't really that much different.

Do yourself a favor and take a hard look at a Forester. It will change your mind.

25/06

I do not know anything about the car... But I own a couple of the Rough Tough Kennels and they offer them with a side door walls are straighter than the typical airline boxes. The doors swing either way which can be handy.

We also have a collapsible wire kennels with the side door and the walls are straight so it takes up a much small foot print. They do not contain the dog fur very well thou!

I would get the kennel you want and head over to a dealer to see for yourself

6176_sidedoorIM-800x800.jpg

tut

You might take a look at the Outback.  I think it will split the difference between the two.  We drove one for a week last July out west on vacation and I thought it was pretty nice.  I think a medium crate (30") might fit in the back.  FWIW, we got 28 mpg during the trip and I was hammering it the entire way.

Bert in W N.C.

I will jump on the Forester bandwagon. The Forester to me has more head room than the Outback. Not sure about your crate size, but folding half the rear seat may work for you. Oh, the commercials are true. My 18 yr. old daughter rolled,a couple of times, and totaled her 2005 Forester. When I got there she was sitting up in the ambulance being checked out. She walked away literally without a scratch. Insurance replaced it with an 07. My 16 yr. old daughter used the money she saved to buy an 06 Forester. I think after seeing how the original Subi. Protected her sister, she was convinced.

PaFlyfisher

Outback not being considered. It is significantly more expensive when equipped with the crash avoidance technology than the Crosstrek.

The 2016+ Crosstrek has a much nicer interior than the Forester, which looks woefully outdated by comparison. An all new Crosstrek is due out this summer that should be larger with more standard features than the current model, which makes the Forester a worse value. That said, the Forester is in the lead if the Crosstrek is too small. 

Thanks 

Jazz4Brazo

Check out www.cars101.com site...they list all possibe cargo dimensions for the Crosstrek, Forrester, etc.

A quick glance says from gate to back of upright seat is 31" vs 34" for the Forrester...they also give various widths, heights, and with seats down.

You should be able to match those up with your crate of choice dimensions.

Good Luck,

J4B

PaFlyfisher
18 hours ago, Jazz4Brazo said:

Check out www.cars101.com site...they list all possibe cargo dimensions for the Crosstrek, Forrester, etc.

A quick glance says from gate to back of upright seat is 31" vs 34" for the Forrester...they also give various widths, heights, and with seats down.

You should be able to match those up with your crate of choice dimensions.

Good Luck,

J4B

Thanks for this link!