REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UPLAND JOURNAL Read more... ×
Chesepeakes_Man

New hunting rig (sort of)

Chesepeakes_Man

I bought this rig so I can go on extended upland trips and Arizona in the winter and be comfortable. I will tow my 1500 Ram behind it for getting around. I am headed to pick it up in Elwwod, IND this Saturday. As of yet have not figured out my exact route yet but I will be headed West to Nebraska, then North to South and North Dakota into Saskatchewan. Then West back to BC. Pick up my wife, dogs, mules and head back to Saskatchewan to continue our quest for a new home now that spring is just around the bend. 

These buses are built on commercial bus chassis but are not a conversion and were designed, engineered and built from scratch to be a fine motor home. it has a 450 HP Detroit Diesel and an Allison Transmission. The gent I am buying it from is a heavy duty/diesel mechanic and he has taken excellent care of it. I have also traced it back to the original owners and it has always been very well maintained.  it's a 38'. Ironically enough it's a "Bluebird". I am going to remove the name "Exit Strategy" and I,ll have to come up with a new one. I plan on doing some work on the interior, new wood floors and maybe re cover the off white to a more dog friendly color. I mainly bought this because mechanically it needs nothing.

thumbnail_IMG_0984.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_0990.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_0991.jpg

dogrunner

I think the name fits because actually that is what you are doing. 

UplandHntr

Interesting, whats the make and model and year? Is the roof a party patio?  What attracted you to this route vs a traditional motorhome?

Chesepeakes_Man

It's a  Blue Bird Wanderlodge. The roof deck is made from checker plate and "goat rails" as you can see in the picture below. You can use them as an observation deck, storing your stuff in the pod and can put a spare tire or canoe up there as well. No other RV has a roof like these. These machines are built to a high standard and are the only RV with a federal roll over rating. They are ALL steel, skin, frame and everything else. I am just not into the new fiberglass RVs myself and don't really care to comment on them here. This rig is a 1987 38' PT (pusher tag axel). They made other configurations like the SP (single pusher), FC (forward control) engine is in the front. The FC and SP are powered by a Caterpillar engine. The newer versions the LX and LXI are Cummings powered and come up to 43' and have some slides etc. I am not into slides myself

These are rigs are all made on commercial heavy duty 1 million mile frames, chassis and engines. Plus I think they are the best deal in the RV market bar none.

thumbnail_IMG_0989.thumb.jpg.cb6a6b613923c21cd7f7697951886cd2.jpg

Dale 

Cooter Brown

That is a heck of an impressive rig!

Even the horns are serious business!

Chesepeakes_Man
1 hour ago, Cooter Brown said:

That is a heck of an impressive rig!

Even the horns are serious business!

The horn is a hoot. You can select out of 1200 tunes and save 100 to play. All different types of music.

Dale 

Chesepeakes_Man

I am in Indiana now and consummated the deal today. We spent hours going over all the maintenance he has done and reviewing all the systems, and there are lots to remember. I took it out for an hour long drive by myself and it is really fun to drive. Tomorrow I will stock up some supplies and head for Saskatchewan !

Dale

Don Steese

Will it perhaps be making it's way to Montana this fall or maybe since you're now in Sask. you won't feel the need to make the trip??

Chesepeakes_Man
10 hours ago, Don Steese said:

Will it perhaps be making it's way to Montana this fall or maybe since you're now in Sask. you won't feel the need to make the trip??

I will be in Montana and am looking forward to seeing you guys again. This year I am planning on coming earlier. 

Dale

Chesepeakes_Man

I made it to Souix Falls, SD today and ran 587 miles. She's a running machine! Love driving it. 

fourtrax57

Wow. That blows away most anything in regular motorhomes. Nice looking, very powerful unit.

You definitely didn't go halfway on that purchase. Passing should be fun.

Brad Eden

That's livin the dream in a big way!

gunsrus

i like it !

NC Quailhunter

That is sweet. Live it up!

Dogwood

Cool