REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UPLAND JOURNAL Read more... ×
gjw

TEK 1.0 - Your Thoughts

gjw

Hi all, I was looking at a Sportdog TEK 1.0 for my GSP.  I like the idea of both a tracking and training combo (I'd also use a Lovett's add on beeper).  I'm not a huge fan of Sportdog, so I'd like to know how reliable this unit is and how user friendly it is.  I'd be running only 1 dog.

So.................your thoughts on this unit, pro's and con's or any other info you may want to add.

Thanks so much!

Greg

Chesepeakes_Man

I have a TEK 2.0, returned the first one within 30 days. The second one I have had nothing but problems with and called Sportdog. They said return it to the retail store, so I went to the store and they would not let me return it and said I would have to return it to Sportdog. 

I am going to call Sportdog tomorrow and I hope I can convince them to take it back. I would not recommend one based on my experiences but lot's of other guy's have them and like them.

Dale 

dogrunner

Sounds like Sportdog. No thanks. 

gjw

Thanks all, I must have been drinking when I made this post.  Sportdog.....should have known!

Thanks again

Greg

Grouse Gunner

garmin astro. 

MDash2

Hi Greg, if you have not already done a search previous threads have covered Tek 1 user experiences. As I recall many have been happy with the collar. I've been using the Tek 2, without any issues, and used the Tek 1 prior for several years without issue. My hunting partner still uses his Tek 1 and only had one issue which was quickly repaired by Sportdog.

Not defending Sportdog as they have product issues but the Tek 1 collar worked well for me. If a Sportdog product just doesn't sit well with you Greg just get a Garmin.

Just to clarify the Tek 1 and Tek 2 are different products. Dale's experience with the Tek 2 is unfortunate and I hope Sportdog does the right thing. Just curious Dale if the issue is related to you being located in Canada or just a poor product issue?

Chesepeakes_Man

Before I bought the TEK 2 I called SD and asked them if their where any issues using it in Canada and the rep said "absolutely"

not. I asked this question because of the Garmin issues. I really was wanting to get a Garmin. Since then I have talked to several guys here that use Garmin with no problem at all. Probably not legal but they work. 

I worked for an hour yesterday trying to get my TEK to pair with my collar and finally got it to. Then the compass won't let me calibrate it. It's just one thing after another with this unit. 

Dale

I had a Ted 1.0 for a little while. It worked well for what I wanted. 

I went to a separate ecollar and GPS. 

UplandSasquatch

I had the same question about a year ago.  

Everyone I talked to had Garmins.

My decision was made when I listened to the Pointing Dog Podcast where Ron interviewed Steve Snell, who sells both the Garmin and the Sportdog.

He knows both systems well and uses the Garmin.  To be fair - he never said anything bad about the SD, but just talked a lot about using his Garmin.

I bought a Garmin 430 to keep my tracking and training on different collars.  I'm glad I did that.

I love the Garmin!

Hope that helps.

mister grouse

Have used only TEK 1 since they came out with them.  I had problems , but they were ALL my fault. When I finally read the instruction manual and watched the video it al worked.  Still does.  If you are not technologically proficient I think no collar or gps collar is what I would describe as intuitive,.  Follow instructions . It will work.  The SD tech customer service on the phone is IMO incredibly good. Best I have seen anywhere.  

No use beating the mule if you don't know how to drive the wagon.

JK SE PA

Dogtra recently came out with one that uses your smartphone as the transmitter. No clue if they work well or not but it's another option worth checking into imo.

sloth5202

I've found that when it comes to technology 95% of errors or "malfunctions" are user caused.  Software no doubt has bugs but even those bugs don't show themselves very often unless the user does something the unit wasn't necessarily designed for.

Chesepeakes_Man

I printed the user manual out  and have studied it before I even received my unit and have followed it to the "T". I also have had many conversations with the TEK support. If

I thought it was my fault I would admit it and choke it down. I think it's equipment problems, not the operator.

Dale

huntdead

Lots of problems over the years with my tek 1.0s. I have about 5 and have to send at least one back every year.  I do like how simple they are.

Devilscreekw

I bought a Garmin 220 with the DC20 collar immediately after they came out, I guess about 10 years ago. I had 9 years use without a problem other than breaking off collars and attaching plates. Finally the collar packed it in last year, and I bought a used DC30 on line. 

Awesome, more range. No issues, and hoping for another 10 years. (I'm hoping for another 10 years too!)