REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UPLAND JOURNAL Read more... ×
gjw

TEK 1.0 - Your Thoughts

trust me

Tek 1.0 is very user friendly, and it gives me exactly what I want and no more:  what direction and how far.  I've sent 2 or 3 collars back to Sportdog and they have been really great about replacing them under warranty.  

I think they had a lot of quality control issues early on but they seem to have it worked out somewhat.  Lots of threads on here about this topic.

3 hours ago, trust me said:

Tek 1.0 is very user friendly, and it gives me exactly what I want and no more:  what direction and how far.

For a simple dog location device, I was EXTREMELY satisfied with it. And the same remote for correction.

huntemupruby

I have both the Tek 1.0 and Alpha 100. Have been very happy with correction collars from SportDog (1875) and still own one. I gave the Tek 1.0 to a friend since he didn't have anything. It was sold for it's market value. $0. 

Garmin Alpha is a superior product in every category.

12 hours ago, huntemupruby said:

I have both the Tek 1.0 and Alpha 100. Have been very happy with correction collars from SportDog (1875) and still own one. I gave the Tek 1.0 to a friend since he didn't have anything. It was sold for it's market value. $0. 

Garmin Alpha is a superior product in every category.

Comparing a 1.0 with an Alpha is like comparing an 870 Express to Beretta Silver Pigeon. 

mister grouse
9 hours ago, NECarson said:

Comparing a 1.0 with an Alpha is like comparing an 870 Express to Beretta Silver Pigeon. 

If I wanted something simple that did the job I WANTED IT TO DO every time I would take a Remington 870 wingmaster to the woods. Still do for turkeys and waterfowl.  I feel the same way about the TEK 1.0--for me it does the job without the techno hassle of the gps .   Simple and works.  Maybe its designed for non rocket scientists , like  me.xD

RuffChaser

I had a few issues with the TEK 1.0 but nothing major. Otherwise it worked great for me. The only real complaint I have with them was replacing the batteries. They had to be sent in for that. I had the system from shortly after they came out, three collars, and the batteries would occasionally go out. I never once had an issue with them not working in the grouse woods. Always had a signal and seemed to work great. My wife surprised this year with a TEK 2.0. I have had it out the last few hunting trips and it has been working awesome. It's a three collar system and it is working flawlessly. I like the map and will probably leave the handheld GPS in the truck.

The only issue I have with a GPS system, and this will go with any system, is that it's a pain in the arse to look at the handheld and figure out where the dog is in the grouse woods. On the prairies it may not be a big deal but when you are walking through slash and 8 year old clear cuts it gets dicey. I was looking at the handheld on Saturday trying to figure out where Chip was when the grouse flushed. He was only 6 or 7 yards to my left but I couldn't see him due to the cover. I had to drop the handheld and pull up the gun. It costs me a split second and with grouse that's just enough especially in the early season.

This has been discussed as an issue by both Alpha and TEK users. I don't know why they won;t put a beeper function on them you can buy as an add on or give the user the option of using it, turning on/off when necessary, etc.