Jump to content
REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UPLAND JOURNAL Read more... ×
bennelli-banger

closest call with death???

Recommended Posts

gaberdeen

Brand new mountain bike. Going down a steep trail behind the apartment I was living in at the time. Hit a rock and over the handlebars I went head first into another rock. Split my helmet in 2 but I crawled away from that with my skull intact.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Crazy Horse

Ho Chi Minh tried desperately to help me meet my maker. Ten months, twenty three days of hunting and hunted. Christmas day 1968 ambush was probably the worst day of my life. Don't want to go there anymore, but can't escape the memories. No longer have "Flash Backs." These days they're just "Reruns."  "Garry Owen!!!"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
bobman
3 hours ago, gaberdeen said:

Brand new mountain bike. Going down a steep trail behind the apartment I was living in at the time. Hit a rock and over the handlebars I went head first into another rock. Split my helmet in 2 but I crawled away from that with my skull intact.

 

triggered another memory

a lady in an olds vista cruiser ( remember those) turned into my lane, hit my sportster which thru me off my bike and I hit a fire hydrant head first.

 

Ever look at the big nut shaped  valve on the side of a hydrant?? My helmet had a 1/2 inch deep dent shaped like one in it. 

That would of been fatal, I loved my harley's and have some scars to prove it.

 

Never ever ride a motorcycle without a helmet.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Wisconsin

Backpacked into the interior of theUP's Porcupine Mountains with a buddy and myGSP while in college during spring break. One of the worst spring snowstorms on record hit - bad enough to close the ski hill at Ontanagon.

Snow up to our armpits, 60 mph winds off Lake Superior, off the chart below zero.

We were rescued by rangers on a half track as we crawled our way out. Hypothermia and frostbite. Closest thing to dying for me!

 

Ken

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Tim Frazier

At 16 I rolled a pickup into a swamp with no seat belt on. My reflexes were quick enough I took out the windshield with my forearm instead of my forehead but I convinced my self that my death would only come when God was ready as I will swear to this day I watched the truck flipping down that gravel road in a muffled silence.  I came too thinking I was soaked in blood and dying only to realize I was in a swamp.  Then I though something had to be broken but eventually figured nothing was and climbed out the window that wasn't under water.  I walked a 1/4 mile to the nearest house and called my dad.  We bent the frame on a tow truck and eventually got a Semi to pull that truck out of the swamp.

 

At 19 on the Korean DMZ we were supposed to be patrolling with Katusa's in small groups of 3.  A group of us ended up being sent out with ROKs who's job was to go "into" the DMZ which was not a recognized activity.  The two I was with spoke no English but we managed to stay alive.  Shots were fired toward us but I don't believe we were ever close enough that shots were fired at us that night from the north. 

 

We did a night jump in 1989 and the plane before us was off a little but we were fine.  The next day one guy got a cigar roll and collapsed another soldiers chute below his and they were taken away without us ever knowing if either lived.

 

Tried to do a class 4 rapid in an open canoe and go thrown 50 feet into the rapid while the aluminum canoe got pounded in.  Felt my ankle get wedged but as I was going face first my rotation must have freed it.  Had I been on my side or back I might not have been as lucky.

 

I've gone through the ice 2 times beaver trapping.

 

Chase up a tree by a bison in Saskatchewan.  Watched a another bull charge a friend in Alberta (cause I was smart and stayed back in the ditch)  He passed out cold and the bull got bored and left.

 

Up an outhouse by a black bear in PA when I was 14 as the other kid and I watched it turn away and raid a camp close to the outhouse.  Guess he thought a couple skinny teens were competition!

 

Few other bear run in's that seemed less than ideal but worked out.

 

I had 3 hard landings in a helicopter that helped convince me that I was getting too old to be a flight nurse.

 

3 years ago I got on the wrong slide climbing the Bottle slide on Giant in the Adirondack high peaks it was wet and moss covered.  Trying to get to the right slide lost my footing and went about 200 feet before grabbing a root, might not be writing this if I had missed that root.  Then my nephew lost his footing almost as soon as I got a good grip on the root and I snagged him as he went by.

 

At 51 I'm trying to act my age now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
bennelli-banger
1 hour ago, Crazy Horse said:

Ho Chi Minh tried desperately to help me meet my maker. Ten months, twenty three days of hunting and hunted. Christmas day 1968 ambush was probably the worst day of my life. Don't want to go there anymore, but can't escape the memories. No longer have "Flash Backs." These days they're just "Reruns."  "Garry Owen!!!"

 

     thanks for your service....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
bennelli-banger
14 minutes ago, Tim Frazier said:

At 16 I rolled a pickup into a swamp with no seat belt on. My reflexes were quick enough I took out the windshield with my forearm instead of my forehead but I convinced my self that my death would only come when God was ready as I will swear to this day I watched the truck flipping down that gravel road in a muffled silence.  I came too thinking I was soaked in blood and dying only to realize I was in a swamp.  Then I though something had to be broken but eventually figured nothing was and climbed out the window that wasn't under water.  I walked a 1/4 mile to the nearest house and called my dad.  We bent the frame on a tow truck and eventually got a Semi to pull that truck out of the swamp.

 

At 19 on the Korean DMZ we were supposed to be patrolling with Katusa's in small groups of 3.  A group of us ended up being sent out with ROKs who's job was to go "into" the DMZ which was not a recognized activity.  The two I was with spoke no English but we managed to stay alive.  Shots were fired toward us but I don't believe we were ever close enough that shots were fired at us that night from the north. 

 

We did a night jump in 1989 and the plane before us was off a little but we were fine.  The next day one guy got a cigar roll and collapsed another soldiers chute below his and they were taken away without us ever knowing if either lived.

 

Tried to do a class 4 rapid in an open canoe and go thrown 50 feet into the rapid while the aluminum canoe got pounded in.  Felt my ankle get wedged but as I was going face first my rotation must have freed it.  Had I been on my side or back I might not have been as lucky.

 

I've gone through the ice 2 times beaver trapping.

 

Chase up a tree by a bison in Alberta

 

Up an outhouse by a black bear in PA when I was 14 as the other kid and I watched it turn away and raid a camp close to the outhouse.  Guess he thought a couple skinny teens were competition!

 

Few other bear run in's that seemed less than ideal but worked out.

 

I had 3 hard landings in a helicopter that helped convince me that I was getting too old to be a flight nurse.

 

3 years ago I got on the wrong slide climbing the Bottle slide on Giant in the Adirondack high peaks and trying to get to the right slide lost my footing and went about 200 feet before grabbing a root, might not be writing this if I had missed that root.  Then my nephew lost his footing almost as I got a good grip on the root and I snagged him as he went by.

 

At 51 I'm trying to act my age now.

 

     thanks for your service as well....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Tim Frazier

I should probably add as a "public service announcement"

 

Weather and water take more lives year in and year out world wide than any other cause. (outside of disease like malaria/TB)  In the US I believe auto accidents are #1 but if your sober and wear a seat belt your statistically pretty safe.    Those of you who experienced hypothermia or near drownings are lucky to be writing  tonight.  10 years as an ER Nurse, 3 Critical Care and 5 more as a Flight Nurse before taking a "desk" job and some of the most traumatic events I dealt with were due to weather and exposure.  Be safe out there and always be prepared to spend the night when hunting remote areas even if you think you know your way around.  A bad ankle sprain can turn a stroll though the woods into an over night fight for survival.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Rafterboy
22 hours ago, Tim Frazier said:

I should probably add as a "public service announcement"

 

Weather and water take more lives year in and year out world wide than any other cause. (outside of disease like malaria/TB)  In the US I believe auto accidents are #1 but if your sober and wear a seat belt your statistically pretty safe.    Those of you who experienced hypothermia or near drownings are lucky to be writing  tonight.  10 years as an ER Nurse, 3 Critical Care and 5 more as a Flight Nurse before taking a "desk" job and some of the most traumatic events I dealt with were due to weather and exposure.  Be safe out there and always be prepared to spend the night when hunting remote areas even if you think you know your way around.  A bad ankle sprain can turn a stroll though the woods into an over night fight for survival.

 

 

 

I wasn't going to weigh in on this, but Tim hit the nail on the head.

 

My teens were a long run of fighting and motorcycles, then off to South Africa to work underground before I calmed down enough to join the Human race. I have crashed bikes, been stabbed and beaten fairly comprehensively, survived in a cyclone as trees were coming down all around me and done all kinds of stupid stuff at work, but the time I should have died and didn't was due to cold water.

At age 16 I was out fishing on the Waipakahi river, near where I grew up, in mid winter. The area gets a lot of snow, but not enough to stop me on my bike, so off I went to chase a trout. I had a run of snagged spinners, and when my last one also hooked the bottom I decided to swim out and pull it free as I went over the top of it. It was snowing lightly, but  I thought no big deal, got my clothes off and jumped in. The cold was stunning, and nearly half way across my strength went and I decided it wasn't going to happen today, so I turned around and headed back to shore. That wasn't going to happen either, and I stopped swimming part way back and sank. I remember looking up at the surface and being tumbled along the bottom while feeling like I was somebody watching it happen to someone else, except that it hurt enough to convince me it was real. The river had a rapid shortly after where I went in, and it was shallow enough for me to stand up and get back to shore. I lit a fire, dried myself and my clothes off (a story in itself), got dressed, jumped on the bike and went home. Dinner and a hot drink later it didn't seem a big deal, so I forgot to tell my folks, just in case they worried. 

 

Some day you just get lucky, but I wouldn't rely on it as a plan.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Randy S

My Dad woke me in the wee hours when I was about 12 to ask me to go to the basement to help with a sump pump that had quit. He had a backup  pedestle pump tied off on the floor but it had quit as well. We were standing in about a foot of water as my Dad told me to never do what he was doing. He had stuck a screw driver into the float switch while the pump was still plugged in. There were sparks and he screamed and threw the screw driver across the room. I could tell his hand was stuck to the pump so I grabbed him by the wrist and pulled it off. Should have unplugged it, but wasn't thinking. He fell over backward and as I bent over to help him up, I saw the pump falling into the water behind me. I can tell you with 120 volts going through the water it's impossible to get both of your feet out of the water at the same time. I was running in place and trying to pull Dad to the steps at the same time. Everytime I touched him, it weakened me to the point that i relized if I didn't run for the steps myself we'd both be floating there. It feels like someone is yanking your legs out of their hip sockets. Made it to the stairs and garage where I killed the power. The rest of the family was up by then and I told them Dad was dead in the basement. He hadn't moved the whole time. As scared as I was, it was worse when we dragged him to the stairs and he started moaning. I thought i was living some kind of spook story. Turned out he was fine, with a new outlook on life.

 

Mom said he was much more fun the next few years. Later whenever he would get grumpy, she would suggest someone electricute him again, 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
bobman

"Mom said he was much more fun the next few years. Later whenever he would get grumpy, she would suggest someone electricute him again, "

 

 my dad got electrocuted 220 volts, the only reason he survived with some kid had called in a crank call and the ambulance was returning to the hospital and happened to be on the road we live on when they got the call.

 

 The only reason I mention it is after this event he had a huge personality change and became much easier going and lighthearted about everything.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ThomGordon
9 minutes ago, bobman said:

"Mom said he was much more fun the next few years. Later whenever he would get grumpy, she would suggest someone electricute him again, "

 

 my dad got electrocuted 220 volts, the only reason he survived with some kid had called in a crank call and the ambulance was returning to the hospital and happened to be on the road we live on when they got the call.

 

 The only reason I mention it is after this event he had a huge personality change and became much easier going and lighthearted about everything.

 

Ah, devine intervention

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
watermen

Should have died several times I suppose, but cold water and survival reminds me of the most death defying example I've ever seen.  3 or 4 of us were sitting and drinking coffee one morning and watching the water out the window.  I lived where the channel widened into the bay on the north side of Kodiak Island,  It was early March about 15 degrees and the water was 36 degrees in the harbor.  A middle aged lady of average build ( I know this because she stripped down to her BD suit), walked to the edge of the rocks and started swimming.  We called the troopers and so must have several neighbors.  We just watched her through binos swim  out to sea for 27 minutes until the rescue boat showed up to pull her in.  She survived longer than was supposed to be possible in water about as cold as it gets.  Evidently her husband had confessed infidelity and she decided to take a swim.  I saw her in town after the incident and she was always calm and polite.  She broke every survival expectation I ever heard of.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
RuffChaser

Where to start???? This gets graphic.

 

It was 1988. I was 2 years out of high school, 19 and stupid. A friend was 21 and said how about if I say I lost my license and you get a replacement with your photo. I said sure. A few weeks later he gave me his birth certificate and I went in to a local DMV office and got a new license. I used it a few times a week and only when I was with him. He held on to it actually most of the time. Between my time with him and my girlfriend we were drinking a lot. Deep down inside I knew I was partying too much and not sleeping enough. There would be nights I would drink most of the night and park in front of the gate at the lumberyard I worked at and pull the keys from the ignition and sleep in the back seat and wait for them to wake me up when they opened up the gate.

 

I was out with my buddy and we drank until closing time. He didn't take the fake ID from me that night. I drove hime from his house and decided it would be  good night to steal some pumpkins for my girlfriend (it was late October). There was a spot where most of us did this. On the way I fell asleep and veered off the road. I had a 1980 Mustang. Just a 6 cylinder. When I veered off the road I must have hit gravel and woke up in time to see a mailbox. I turned my head and don't remember a thing for a little while. Thankfully nobody was with me. Nobody saw the accident and I don't remember it so nobody knows what happened. A neighbor of the people that owned the mailbox i destroyed was a DJ and was unloading his equipment from a gig. He and his wife were unloading the equipment when they heard a large bang. They ran to each other assuming somebody dropped something. Just as they got to each other just outside the front door a car drove by and the headlights hit my car. They immediately realized the noise was from my accident.

 

They ran to me and asked if I was OK. I was under the car lying face down with the tie rod on the back of my head. I was pinned to the ground. They called the local fire department and they sent an ambulance, firetruck, etc. These were volunteers and most were guys I knew and a few I graduated high school with. They truied to explain the situation to me and apparently i told them repeatedly I was OK to drive iof they just got me back in the car. They tried to explain it was on top of me and when I finally realized it a freaked out. I drifted in and out of consciousness at this point. They had to use air bags to get the car of me. In the mean time they called for a airlift for me but the helicopter couldn't land right by the crash site so they would have to use an ambulance to drive me about  a mile down the road. An uncle lived near by and heard the chatter on the scanner. He drove down and as they got me out and removed my clothes to asses the damage they realized their were two IDs in my wallet. when they figured out it was me he called my Dad he drove directly to the hospital. 

 

The car had landed 80 feet from where I hit the driveway/culvert and where the car landed. They think I was thrown out the back and my body ripped the hatchback off when I was but nobody knows for sure. The front drivers side tire was sticking through the floor boards where the gas/brake pedals were. They got me to the chopper and on to the hospital. My heart stopped twice in the chopper and once in the ER. They got me back each time.  The only damage to my body was my face. There are three basic ways you can break your face. They are called Lefort fractures. I had all three. Most people that get all three don't live to get told that.

 

After feeling the cold air of the rotors blowing on me I don't remember a thing for a week. The next year would be hell. I have multiple facial reconstructions. The doctors in my hometown, Erie, PA, had never worked on someone as bad as me. After 9 hours they gave up and closed me up. I had 9 teeth knocked out and one of my eyes was badly out of position causing me to have constant double vision. I was sent to Pittsburgh several months later and had a series of reconstructive surgeries. The first surgery was only 4 hours to remove some metal so they could get a better x-ray. Then after CAT scans and other x-rays the team of doctors met with me and asked what I was looking for from the surgery. That's a little more than a 19 years old is equipped to handle. They explained that they would cut my scalp from ear to ear and peel my face off and try to re-fracture my face and repair it to it's original state.

 

My nest surgery was 21 hours total including pre and post up, 15 hours from cut to close. I felt like I got hit by an f'in freight train. I would have follow up surgeries on my eyes and face to correct my vision and to correct other complications for the next 15 years. I have had over 60 hours of surgery (that's just the time under general anesthesia) done to my face with the ear to ear scalp removal done three times. I have had 3 bone grafts from my head paced in other areas of my face and most of my sinuses obliterated. That basically means they remove the mucus membrane an fill it in so they are no longer functional.

 

Before my accident I hadn't spoken with my dad for 1.5 years and I lived in the same house as him. he is a stubborn swede and can hold a grudge. After the accident he stayed with me for two weeks and never left the hospital. He refused to leave so they let him shower in my room and my mom or siblings would bring him in meals. He is a real SOB but when you need him most he is there for you. As you can imagine I had a few legal and financial issues. I got lucky on both accounts. I got out of most of the trouble with the law by agreeing to go to my local high school to discuss the dangers of drinking and driving. They liked my interaction with the students so much they asked me to return again. I knew most of the kids and I hope I helped some of them make better choices.

 

The anniversary of my accident is October 29th. It's a horrible day. I think of my accident often but not daily like i did before therapy. It's hard to look in the mirror and not see the scars and the other damage done to my face and not think about it. I have a gnarly scar right between my eyes. It has been softened over the years via surgery but it's still there. I don't look like I used to. Some people from High School have no idea who I was at reunions. I stopped going to them. One girl asked me to show my driver's license she just couldn't believe how different I looked. Leading up to my anniversary I get sad. I get through it but prefer to be alone with Haze and do something to distract myself from thinking about it. My wife understand this and gives me the space I need.

 

I have no idea how I lived through that. The thought of why I lived, why that happened to me haunted me for many, many years to the point where professional help was needed. I have been asked lots of questions about what I saw when I was near death. I saw nothing. I have been told I have been blessed by God as he only gives us as much as we can handle. I have no idea who what played a role in my survival. As far as I'm concerned the fact is it happened and I lived. I personally think I was just really lucky and I have a very strong will to live. Also, I was meant to move to MN,to hunt grouse, find Haze, and meet my wife. Well, maybe the wife was just happenstance:D

 

Now that I have finished that I will get to my next great adventure with death a little later.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
bennelli-banger
40 minutes ago, RuffChaser said:

Where to start???? This gets graphic.

 

It was 1988. I was 2 years out of high school, 19 and stupid. A friend was 21 and said how about if I say I lost my license and you get a replacement with your photo. I said sure. A few weeks later he gave me his birth certificate and I went in to a local DMV office and got a new license. I used it a few times a week and only when I was with him. He held on to it actually most of the time. Between my time with him and my girlfriend we were drinking a lot. Deep down inside I knew I was partying too much and not sleeping enough. There would be nights I would drink most of the night and park in front of the gate at the lumberyard I worked at and pull the keys from the ignition and sleep in the back seat and wait for them to wake me up when they opened up the gate.

 

I was out with my buddy and we drank until closing time. He didn't take the fake ID from me that night. I drove hime from his house and decided it would be  good night to steal some pumpkins for my girlfriend (it was late October). There was a spot where most of us did this. On the way I fell asleep and veered off the road. I had a 1980 Mustang. Just a 6 cylinder. When I veered off the road I must have hit gravel and woke up in time to see a mailbox. I turned my head and don't remember a thing for a little while. Thankfully nobody was with me. Nobody saw the accident and I don't remember it so nobody knows what happened. A neighbor of the people that owned the mailbox i destroyed was a DJ and was unloading his equipment from a gig. He and his wife were unloading the equipment when they heard a large bang. They ran to each other assuming somebody dropped something. Just as they got to each other just outside the front door a car drove by and the headlights hit my car. They immediately realized the noise was from my accident.

 

They ran to me and asked if I was OK. I was under the car lying face down with the tie rod on the back of my head. I was pinned to the ground. They called the local fire department and they sent an ambulance, firetruck, etc. These were volunteers and most were guys I knew and a few I graduated high school with. They truied to explain the situation to me and apparently i told them repeatedly I was OK to drive iof they just got me back in the car. They tried to explain it was on top of me and when I finally realized it a freaked out. I drifted in and out of consciousness at this point. They had to use air bags to get the car of me. In the mean time they called for a airlift for me but the helicopter couldn't land right by the crash site so they would have to use an ambulance to drive me about  a mile down the road. An uncle lived near by and heard the chatter on the scanner. He drove down and as they got me out and removed my clothes to asses the damage they realized their were two IDs in my wallet. when they figured out it was me he called my Dad he drove directly to the hospital. 

 

The car had landed 80 feet from where I hit the driveway/culvert and where the car landed. They think I was thrown out the back and my body ripped the hatchback off when I was but nobody knows for sure. The front drivers side tire was sticking through the floor boards where the gas/brake pedals were. They got me to the chopper and on to the hospital. My heart stopped twice in the chopper and once in the ER. They got me back each time.  The only damage to my body was my face. There are three basic ways you can break your face. They are called Lefort fractures. I had all three. Most people that get all three don't live to get told that.

 

After feeling the cold air of the rotors blowing on me I don't remember a thing for a week. The next year would be hell. I have multiple facial reconstructions. The doctors in my hometown, Erie, PA, had never worked on someone as bad as me. After 9 hours they gave up and closed me up. I had 9 teeth knocked out and one of my eyes was badly out of position causing me to have constant double vision. I was sent to Pittsburgh several months later and had a series of reconstructive surgeries. The first surgery was only 4 hours to remove some metal so they could get a better x-ray. Then after CAT scans and other x-rays the team of doctors met with me and asked what I was looking for from the surgery. That's a little more than a 19 years old is equipped to handle. They explained that they would cut my scalp from ear to ear and peel my face off and try to re-fracture my face and repair it to it's original state.

 

My nest surgery was 21 hours total including pre and post up, 15 hours from cut to close. I felt like I got hit by an f'in freight train. I would have follow up surgeries on my eyes and face to correct my vision and to correct other complications for the next 15 years. I have had over 60 hours of surgery (that's just the time under general anesthesia) done to my face with the ear to ear scalp removal done three times. I have had 3 bone grafts from my head paced in other areas of my face and most of my sinuses obliterated. That basically means they remove the mucus membrane an fill it in so they are no longer functional.

 

Before my accident I hadn't spoken with my dad for 1.5 years and I lived in the same house as him. he is a stubborn swede and can hold a grudge. After the accident he stayed with me for two weeks and never left the hospital. He refused to leave so they let him shower in my room and my mom or siblings would bring him in meals. He is a real SOB but when you need him most he is there for you. As you can imagine I had a few legal and financial issues. I got lucky on both accounts. I got out of most of the trouble with the law by agreeing to go to my local high school to discuss the dangers of drinking and driving. They liked my interaction with the students so much they asked me to return again. I knew most of the kids and I hope I helped some of them make better choices.

 

The anniversary of my accident is October 29th. It's a horrible day. I think of my accident often but not daily like i did before therapy. It's hard to look in the mirror and not see the scars and the other damage done to my face and not think about it. I have a gnarly scar right between my eyes. It has been softened over the years via surgery but it's still there. I don't look like I used to. Some people from High School have no idea who I was at reunions. I stopped going to them. One girl asked me to show my driver's license she just couldn't believe how different I looked. Leading up to my anniversary I get sad. I get through it but prefer to be alone with Haze and do something to distract myself from thinking about it. My wife understand this and gives me the space I need.

 

I have no idea how I lived through that. The thought of why I lived, why that happened to me haunted me for many, many years to the point where professional help was needed. I have been asked lots of questions about what I saw when I was near death. I saw nothing. I have been told I have been blessed by God as he only gives us as much as we can handle. I have no idea who what played a role in my survival. As far as I'm concerned the fact is it happened and I lived. I personally think I was just really lucky and I have a very strong will to live. Also, I was meant to move to MN,to hunt grouse, find Haze, and meet my wife. Well, maybe the wife was just happenstance:D

 

Now that I have finished that I will get to my next great adventure with death a little later.

 

             Wow!!!!  That is amazing...thank God you made it.  Slim chance, but do you know a family with the name Clouser?  Lance Clouser was my RA freshman year of college in Faribanks, AK...he was from Eerie...probably 54 or 55 today.  Waiting for the next story...hope it isn't anything like the first....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now

×