REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UPLAND JOURNAL Read more... ×
Don Steese

Jeep Wrangler??

Don Steese

I am looking for a vehicle to tow behind my motorhome. Unfortunately my Ridgeline can't be flat towed.. Local dealer in  my home town has an 06 Jeep Wrangler with only 64K. He's a reputable, small town Suburu dealer I've done business with for many years. Sold him advertising and bought the Ridgeline from him, so I know he's as honest as car dealers get. My future son in law is the head tech at a Dodge/Jeep dealership so I'll take him along to check it out. He and the guys at his dealership say it's a heck of a deal for what this other dealer asking at $11,900. Apparently Wranglers are hot sellers and this one is a Golden Eagle which is a rare bird. It's got the 4 L inline 6, which my SIL says is about the best engine you could hope for. It's also a manual 6 speed, so it should be fun to drive. I only have one dog anymore so a small crate should fit in the back if I remove the rear seat?  

What I like about these is that they only weigh a little over 3K so they're easy to tow, plus they're short so you don't have quite as much overall length to tow behind the moho. These things seem to be about the most popular "toad" out there.

Downside would be ride and comfort but I'll not be driving it across country, so that's not a big issue. My wife's got a super comfy car that we can take on trips.

Thoughts?

Kansas Bound

Short trips would be doable but I can't ride in one for long

gunsrus

I've had both .

2006 was the last of the 4L engine , a huge plus . It will run forever and plenty of power . 

2007 started the 3.8L V6 , that is underpowered . I had a tough time climbing inclines with gear and a dog , so much so that loaded logging trucks would pass me climbing a hill . But I will say it has a much better ride . 

2006 will ride a little stiff compared to 07 but for what your using it for I think a better choice . Put a good set of shocks on it . 

Remove the rear seat (very easy) and I fit an intermediate crate . 

I'm assuming it's a hardtop , a better choice . 

My main concern would be rust so really have it looked at , especially where the roll bar is welded . 

Good luck with it , they are lots of fun and definitely awesome on those hard to get down two tracks . 

Fire Marshal Bill

That is a good buy. That year with low milage at that price, I would take it. I don't have to take the back seat out. I fold it forward and hold it there with a bunggie cord. Plenty of room for a dog crate. And it will tow like a dream. 

Don Steese

Unfortunately it's a soft top and, as a matter of fact, it's in the body shop right now getting some rust fixed on the fenders. He said it wasn't visible on photos, but he wanted it repaired anyhow. SIL says they find a lot of rust on these, most of the time on the fenders. He'll check it out very carefully when we look it over. 

Marc Ret

Don,

If you decide not to move on this, would you mind letting me know? A close friend of mine might have an interest in it. I found the listing online but won't forward the info to him until you make a decision. Thanks. 

Marcus

Don Steese
26 minutes ago, Marc Ret said:

Don,

If you decide not to move on this, would you mind letting me know? A close friend of mine might have an interest in it. I found the listing online but won't forward the info to him until you make a decision. Thanks. 

Marcus

I'll let you know one way or the other within a couple days. I called last week so he's supposed to give me first shot when it's back on the lot. 

My wife had an 05. 

I hated pretty much every single thing about it. 

Brad Eden

Sounds about perfect for what you want it for. I have no idea if price is good. I would think towing a soft top might beat up the soft roof on long treks? Probably no more than driving it, just wondering. You could possible find a roof/hardtop to put on it. I had a CJ 5 way back when. It was fun as hell and Id love another jeep just to fool around in.

Zoli 16ga.

I'll be taking possession of this right hand drive 'mini truck' in about six weeks. 48" wide x 10' long. Heat / AC  full 4x4 with axle lock. Frame construction. Street legal...here in Ontario. There are more than a few dealers in the U.S. Google search mini trucks and you'll see what these puppies can do! 50mpg.

I'll be putting a box on the back (4x6x6) and turn it into a grouse hunting camper. They are tow-able as far as I know. Might want to look into one?

Suzuki%20Carry%20%201_zpsmln9b7rx.jpg

Suzuki%20Carry%20%206_zpsj0mdhkpd.jpg

Suzuki%20Carry%20%205_zpsztmimcwb.jpg

bobman

JMO poor quality lots of problems

they will go anywhere when they run, I would try and find something else that can be towed 4 down or pull a trailer like Roy does

the older simple cj s are fun

bobman

older dodge dakota 4x4 with manual hubs or a subaru are both flat towable and probably more reliable and less expensive 

Windrider

The current model Jeep Wrangler JK rides much nicer.  The 3.8L from 07-2011 isn't the best.

There isn't as big a step down into the jk as the TJ.

dogrunner

Maybe look for a 2012 Ford Escape that was the older body style, I had one with a 2.5 L. Good ride, great mileage and enough power for me. Put good tires on it and it will go through some country. 

Don Steese

I drove it last night. Good solid vehicle, but not the vehicle for me. The search continues!