REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UPLAND JOURNAL Read more... ×
Dogwood

Pickup trucks with the lowest bed height?

Dogwood

Thinking of getting a pickup but the bed heights seem so high on modern trucks that I'm concerned about potential injuries of the dogs getting in and out.  Any relatively lower?  Should add it needs to tow 8,000 pounds.

Brad Eden

Two wheel drive truck beds are generally lower.

My dogs could all jump in and out of the bed of my Toyota First gen Tundra trucks, until they got older and would put front paws on tailgate and Id give them a hoist up. Now they ride in the cab. I got soft. 

Dave Quindt

<begin vaguely-related comment>

Show me a retriever trial pro's dog truck with a chassis cab dog box and I can tell you the boxes that contain dogs owned by the most knowledgeable and experienced owners. How?  A few years ago trialers started to see the correlation between dogs coming out of the top boxes and front shoulder injuries in the dogs. So customers started demanding their dogs get the lower boxes.

From the first time I helped by own pro to unload his dogs, I was immediately taught to not let a dog ever jump out of a box, but to grab them by the collar and make sure the front and rear legs land roughly at the same time.  The same goes for jumping out of a dog bed; it never happens.  I'm convinced that the forces put on a dog jumping out of a truck bed and landing on a hard surface are completely unnatural to a dog. 

Am I saying that all dogs allowed to jump from the bed will eventually injure themselves?  Nope.  But I am convinced that controlling their descent can reduce wear and tear?  Yup. Do I wince every time I see dogs go flying off of the tailgate, having known dogs that have suffered with shoulder injuries.  You bet!

<end vaguely-related comment>

dogrunner

I always lift mine in and out of things over about 16 inches in height. 

Dogwood
1 hour ago, Dave Quindt said:

<begin vaguely-related comment>

Show me a retriever trial pro's dog truck with a chassis cab dog box and I can tell you the boxes that contain dogs owned by the most knowledgeable and experienced owners. How?  A few years ago trialers started to see the correlation between dogs coming out of the top boxes and front shoulder injuries in the dogs. So customers started demanding their dogs get the lower boxes.

From the first time I helped by own pro to unload his dogs, I was immediately taught to not let a dog ever jump out of a box, but to grab them by the collar and make sure the front and rear legs land roughly at the same time.  The same goes for jumping out of a dog bed; it never happens.  I'm convinced that the forces put on a dog jumping out of a truck bed and landing on a hard surface are completely unnatural to a dog. 

Am I saying that all dogs allowed to jump from the bed will eventually injure themselves?  Nope.  But I am convinced that controlling their descent can reduce wear and tear?  Yup. Do I wince every time I see dogs go flying off of the tailgate, having known dogs that have suffered with shoulder injuries.  You bet!

<end vaguely-related comment>

Good points and I intend to do so but it seems some of these beds are so high now that even hoisting them properly can be an issue.  Maybe they've always been up there; maybe first PU ignorance on my part.

Hub

No input on a low bed height truck, but agree on the concern of jumping in an out wearing on dogs. I don't let mine jump from a tail gate.  From little on I teach them to walk calmly to the end so I can pick them up and put them down.  I do let them jump up, but I think that is much less impact on their joints etc.  I had an extended trip cut short by a dog getting injured jumping out of the tailgate.  Never again.

Brad Eden

IMG_0279.JPG

Suitably shamed....I did also lift them down when old and that's not easy with Woods Ponies. Not being coy, in restrospect it probably wasn't a good idea letting them jump off tailgate even if that was on soft ground, not pavement 99.9% of the time. I cringed the last time that I picked up Cash at the breeder, Kennel, groomer. She has a grooming table alongside some kennels. He was very happy and excited to see me after a week being boarded, and not happy I was wasting time shooting the breeze. He kept leaping up onto the waists high table and then off into the concrete floor. I caught him in mid air and lowered him the last time and put out my back.

FWIW. Ford had or has an optional fold down tailgate step, not sure if a dog could or would use that and there are tailgate stairs available for older dogs I think.

dogrunner

Well my 2016 F150 off road with 275-18 is  about 35". The tailgate step on the Ford is not that wide and I could see a dog missing it and really hurting themselves. So if you get a truck with smaller rims and tires you would be less than mine. 

image.jpg

Brad Eden

Twistep for pickups

Pricy though. And dog could miss it or slip on jump down.

IMG_0281.JPG

406dn

Just to add another hazard, I've witnessed a dog getting a leg hung up on the tailgate cable. Don't know how it did it, but it did. There is little upside to making a dog get in and out of a pickup bed or chassis box unassisted. 

charlo slim

A quail-hunting partner here runs a "hitch haul" type step platform.  It is covered in outdoor carpeting -- the diamond-shaped expanded metal grate of the platform looks like a sure-fire doggie toenail snagger/buster otherwise.  The setup seems to work great, both up and down.  He is running a flatbed though, and the approach would not work so well unless one removed the tailgate from a standard pickup setup, or went with a really wide hitch-haul platform.

OH Grouser

Per dogrunner's photo, my 2014 Silverado Z-71 is 34" ground to tailgate with 18" wheels...so Chevy is not much better. I keep a crate in the bed, but Maggie dog is spoiled and mostly rides in the back seat floor. When the crate gets used, she gets lifted -  but it's not tough to do with a 35# dog.

That contraption Brad posted would scare me more than letting a dog jump from the tailgate :D.

Roger

bobman

today's pickups are stupid high it's a marketing tactic to make the trucks Macho more evidence the people that design them don't use them

I drive and use pickups on a daily for business and hate the stupid bed height, I'm 6'4" and can't reach into the bed

that said I always lifted my dogs in and out even before the latest ridiculess styles

Up North

My tailgate is so high I had to get a 16" work platform for me, and the dogs to get in / out of the box. I put a non skid rug on it for the dogs.

image.jpeg

dogrunner
6 hours ago, bobman said:

today's pickups are stupid high it's a marketing tactic to make the trucks Macho more evidence the people that design them don't use them

I drive and use pickups on a daily for business and hate the stupid bed height, I'm 6'4" and can't reach into the bed

that said I always lifted my dogs in and out even before the latest ridiculess styles

I'm only 5'-4' how do you think I feel. :(