REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UPLAND JOURNAL Read more... ×
gjw

Trax GPS Maps - Any Good?

gjw

Hi all, anyone use the Trax maps from Kirsch's outdoors?  If so, any good, any problems worth buying?

http://www.koutdoorproducts.com/

Thanks!

Greg

settem

I realize this is an older thread, but I guess I missed it...

I have used the chips for a couple of western states and highly recommend them!

I use them in the Alpha and it really gives you a lot of confidence as to the public land boundaries. 

I had a tense encounter with a rancher a few years back. Turned out that I was in the right and it ended with smiles and handshakes, but I wasn't 100 percent sure how it was gonna play out.

I made sure I had the chips before I went back. 

boutdoors4

I use the Onyx chips on my Garmin, they have the regional chips which are a good value for your money

RuffChaser

I love it for MN. The biggest reason is it shows the tax forfeited land. Much of it is open to hunting especially if it is county land. I get it updated every few years. They even load the Walk In Areas that change every year. I get updates every other year because I don't hunt pheasants much so the WIA info isn't as critical to me.

Remo
5 minutes ago, RuffChaser said:

I love it for MN. The biggest reason is it shows the tax forfeited land. Much of it is open to hunting especially if it is county land. I get it updated every few years. They even load the Walk In Areas that change every year. I get updates every other year because I don't hunt pheasants much so the WIA info isn't as critical to me.

What kind of GPS are you using it in? I need something with a screen I can see without squinting.

RuffChaser

9 hours ago, Remo said:

What kind of GPS are you using it in? I need something with a screen I can see without squinting.

I use it just for my truck GPS. I have a Garmin GPS with a 5.5 inch screen or so. When I'm scouting areas or I see something that looks nice I just look to the GPS screen and see what type of land it is (WMA, WPA, County Land, NWR, Private). I don't use it in my handheld because I already had one of them and it isn't a Garmin. Also, most of the covers I hunt are smaller pieces inside of big tracts of land so I'm not too concerned with wandering onto private land.