REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UPLAND JOURNAL Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
steveziv

New Car!

steveziv

Well, my daughters POS Taurus bit it last week so I've passed my much-loved '07 XC70 along to her and got myself a modern vehicle.

Without further ado, I found a sweet deal on a '14 X3. That's Tucker in the back seat.

TBJ2Bac.jpg

I did a short search before settling on the BMW:

First off, the XC70 is perfect for me but I was ready for a change after driving two in a row and the newer ones are supposedly down on power. For the same reasons I passed on the XC60.

Started by looking at a lease on a Hyundai Santa Fe Sport. I really liked this vehicle! Except for the purchase price of $38K loaded or leased at $418/mo ($3k down).  After driving the Santa Fe you don't want the smaller more affordable Tucson.

Next was the Subaru Outback. On paper perfect for me. Test drove it, the salesman asked me what I thought, I told him, "that was uninspiring". Life's too short, you know?

At the last minute I drove a Ford Explorer. Loaded up, trailer hitch, again makes a lot of sense for me but just too big, cumbersome and low mpg for 90% or my driving.

My mechanic, whose opinion I value greatly gave me the green light on the X3 and my own experience w/ four previous Beemers has been good.

My mechanic works at a reasonable rate if necessary (though I'm still under warranty) and the nearby dealership is good to work with as well.

Its all wheel drive, handles like a sports car and has the same ground clearance as the XC70.

Greg Hartman

Very nice car.  But. it would be a serious crime to take that into the boonies where it would have branches scraping down both sides of that immaculate paint and get high-centered on rocks or logs every 100 yards, while the dogs puke on the back seat.  :D

Skybuster
2 hours ago, Greg Hartman said:

Very nice car.  But. it would be a serious crime to take that into the boonies where it would have branches scraping down both sides of that immaculate and get high-centered on rocks or logs every 100 yards, while the dogs puke on the back seat.  :D

Yes that, but Steve can travel the two-tracks in style while wearing his moleskin breeks and wellies...xD

fourtrax57

Nice ride!

Vehicle comes furnished with a back seat "driver" or coach!

Having "gone to the dogs" I usually travel with one.

steveziv

Tucker seems to like the high back seat and big back windows.  And those leatherette seats'll clean right up.

I've never been anywhere in the Volvo that I wouldn't take this vehicle.  Two tracks, ruts, grassy pull offs and shallow wash overs are the worst I encounter.  I'm cautious "off road" and don't go looking for trouble.

Auto-5

Very very nice.

MDash2

Nice ride. Congrats. I've never driven an X3 but they are popular around town and get a lot of positive reviews. 

terrym

Reality is most people don't really go far off road and there is far more "daily driver" duty than hunting days. You need to live with a vehicle 52 weeks a year. Personally though I'm not the type to Baby a vehicle so simple suits me better. 

Don Steese

Nice!!