• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• jeff88

• Ben Hong

• Big Al

• dogrunner

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

What is surprising about the difference in playoff hockey vs regular season is that you would think with more eyes on TV screens the NHL would want to showcase talent, speed and the beauty of the game

Jeff your appreciation of the Canadian cultural influences in producing sensitive, tough and superbly athletic people is pretty bang on, but my Christ even we have to be constantly vigilant to prevent

If they assessed penalties with the same standards in the playoffs that they do in the regular season, I believe that there would be fewer of these incidents.  IMHO by "letting them play" something as

Good game.  Habs losing can never be a bad thing. Now when Washington finishes off the Leafs and Ottawa puts away the Bruins life will be good.

If you were to say to me before the playoffs started that Chicago, San Jose and Montreal would be eliminated in the first round I would have asked for some of whatever you were smoking.

My one take away from the playoffs is that the refs are awful. 

Lot's of early golf ! Hey Ben , they building around Price ? They gonna give him his money or sell and start rebuilding ? 

5 hours ago, gunsrus said:

Lot's of early golf ! Hey Ben , they building around Price ? They gonna give him his money or sell and start rebuilding ? 

Nope, wasn't Carey's fault, the Americans on the team could not buy a goal even with the inflated US dollar. Thank you very much Galchenyuk and Pacioretty.

15 hours ago, Ben Hong said:

Nope, wasn't Carey's fault, the Americans on the team could not buy a goal even with the inflated US dollar. Thank you very much Galchenyuk and Pacioretty.

D@mn Americans!!!!!!!  Wait, isn't Kessel tied #2 for overall points in round 1?  Guentzel leads in goals with 5?  Both in only 5 games?  And those Russians!  Hang on, Malkin leads all scoring by 3 points -- in 5 games?  That Canadian guy, Crosby I think it is, maybe he'll catch fire in round #2...

;)

Like my mother used to say, if iron doesn't work, try irony!

Ahh sheeit, she never said that; I'll take credit before they attribute it to Confucius...whoever he was!

I really like Kessel.   He got a raw deal in Toronto.  From both the media and the team. The Pens getting him was good for them and Phil but bad for the rest of the NHL.  The rich get richer.

1 hour ago, Big Al said:

I really like Kessel.   He got a raw deal in Toronto.  From both the media and the team. The Pens getting him was good for them and Phil but bad for the rest of the NHL.  The rich get richer.

Kessel seems very happy these days.  He didn't work out in Boston either, at least for the fans and media.  Believe a lot was expected of him without much support from the team around him, especially in Toronto.  In the 'Burgh he's a top player, but not THE top player.  That seems to be OK with him.  Also it was nice for Phil the Thrill to win against Torts (who did not pick him for the US team in the last WC).  

Maybe the Pens did the league a small favor -- we won't get a Trotz versus Torts for round 2.  That could be confusing!

MN Tonester

My one take away from the playoffs is that the refs are awful.

That and some extraordinary play on the part of any number of goalies

18 hours ago, jeff88 said:

Kessel seems very happy these days.  He didn't work out in Boston either, at least for the fans and media.  Believe a lot was expected of him without much support from the team around him, especially in Toronto.  In the 'Burgh he's a top player, but not THE top player.  That seems to be OK with him.  Also it was nice for Phil the Thrill to win against Torts (who did not pick him for the US team in the last WC).  

Maybe the Pens did the league a small favor -- we won't get a Trotz versus Torts for round 2.  That could be confusing!

My take on Kessel is that he has finally grown up. I remember when he came in to the U. He has had that "I'm better than anyone else on the ice" attitude then and it followed him to Boston and Toronto. Can a leopard change his spots? Maybe....

49 minutes ago, Pomoxis said:

My take on Kessel is that he has finally grown up. I remember when he came in to the U. He has had that "I'm better than anyone else on the ice" attitude then and it followed him to Boston and Toronto. Can a leopard change his spots? Maybe....

Believe a person can change for the better with age and experience.  

The thing is that a lot of Pro athletes become really well known at a very young age.  Adding to that, their brains are not fully developed, compounded by how many are treated like demi-Gods in their late teens through early 20's.  To me, it's a wonder that many of them are basically decent.  The NFL and NBA in particular are cursed with the biggest blitheringiest idiots on the planet.  Doesn't help when you add a $#!+load of money to the mix.  I can forgive Kessel for a bit of jerkatude as a younger player but to your point, he does seem to have grown up.  What I can't forgive are the primadonna athletes who brag and blather about themselves and worse, commit felonies such as rape, violent attacks and murder because they believe they can get away with anything.  Hernandez, Ray Lewis, PacMan Jones immediately jump to mind as does Baylor University.  I'm happy that the NHL has largely avoided the curse of the spoiled pro-athlete, I look to the Canadian cultural roots of the game and players as reason #1 hockey is a thugs sport played by gentlemen.    

BTW, you may be thinking my brain is not fully developed and there is probably evidence to support that.   More evidence:  GO PENS!!