REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UPLAND JOURNAL Read more... ×
bmeador

Hockey Tonight

gunsrus
6 hours ago, Ben Hong said:

Hoooo boy!!!! The Caps had the game, 2-0,  wrapped up with 2 mins. to go. Pens pulled MAF, scored once, then scored again. 2-2 into OT. In OT Pitts gets early penalty and the Caps scored the winner. How do you spell R E L I E F ? Did the Caps ever dodge one. WOW!!!

More exciting than this year's Super Bowl.

Yes , exciting but no where near the same level as Super Bowl . 

Tom Avent

Oh boy.......I'm kind of speechless. What a game. This is going to get ugly before it is over. I do not think the Niskanen hit on Crosby was intentionally dirty or intended to injure(but I qualify the statement that admitting I'm a Caps fan). I will say that it changed the game. As much as it pains me to say it, Crosby is what they say he is, the best hockey player on the planet.

I think this will be fun to watch the next 4 games(yes, it is going to 7).  

Wet Dog

Pens are without their number 1 goalie, number 1 defensemen, and number 1 center, who happens to be the best player in the world, and the best the caps can do is scratch out an OT win after blowing a 2-0 lead with 2 mins left.

If Crosby plays the next 2, this is over in 5. 

Niskanen is the only one that knows if the cross check to the head was intentional but considering he's the goon assigned to disrupt Crosby's game and has been cross checking him the entire series, I'm saying the cross check was intentional. Who cross checks someone to the head without the intent to hurt a guy with concussion issues. Why would anyone think that? Thats just good playoff hockey right?  Just like Ovechkin didn't intend to hit Crosby in the head on that same play when he slashed Crosby in the shoulder and the stick bounced off his head. Torts response to the media "no penalty was called" when asked if Ovenchin took a cheap shot. So please remember that when we run Holtsby over, or if Niskanen finds himself face first into the boards, or god forbid one of your stars finds himself on the other end of a two handed cross check to the head. Thats just good ole playoff hockey.

MN Tonester

nice thing about Crosby and all his talent is he is such a clean player

Ben Hong

In our CBC/Sportsnet broadcast there was much discussion and replays bout the incident. To my mind, Nishkanen did NOT cross check Crosby intentionally. I think that he brought up his hands and stick shaft in a reflex defense/parry reaction against the falling Crosby. To intentionally cross check someone, the hands are normally spread out in preparation...according to all the talking head analysts who were all ex NHL players, Nishkanen's hands were almost together.

I have no skin in this debate, I calls them as I sees 'em.

jeff88
16 hours ago, Tom Avent said:

Ok....I have written this several times and deleted it each time. This time I'll take a different tone. I'll ask you what you think instead of offering my opinion.

What do you guys think of the report that several of the Pens players accused Ovi of hitting Heinsy in the head with the puck on purpose the other night?

I think someone is making this up - I follow the Pens and the local PGH sports pages and there was NOT ONE mention of any such commentary from any Penguin.  Not surprised in these days of fake news that some troll wanted to start something.  Pens players and hockey players in general are the worst interviews because they stay far away from controversial remarks.  

jeff88
1 hour ago, Wet Dog said:

Pens are without their number 1 goalie, number 1 defensemen, and number 1 center, who happens to be the best player in the world, and the best the caps can do is scratch out an OT win after blowing a 2-0 lead with 2 mins left.

If Crosby plays the next 2, this is over in 5. 

Niskanen is the only one that knows if the cross check to the head was intentional but considering he's the goon assigned to disrupt Crosby's game and has been cross checking him the entire series, I'm saying the cross check was intentional. Who cross checks someone to the head without the intent to hurt a guy with concussion issues. Why would anyone think that? Thats just good playoff hockey right?  Just like Ovechkin didn't intend to hit Crosby in the head on that same play when he slashed Crosby in the shoulder and the stick bounced off his head. Torts response to the media "no penalty was called" when asked if Ovenchin took a cheap shot. So please remember that when we run Holtsby over, or if Niskanen finds himself face first into the boards, or god forbid one of your stars finds himself on the other end of a two handed cross check to the head. Thats just good ole playoff hockey.

Wet Dog,

If you are addressing fans of teams playing the Pens all they read is blah-blah-blah (Peanuts reference) then return to how 87 is the dirtiest player on the planet while they root for choir boys.  Yes, every one of their choir boys who has played against Sid is now singing high alto because 87 has speared every player in every sport in the nads in every game.  You are right, no one but Nisky knows his intent but two uncalled slashes by Ovie then a cross-check to a falling player in the head is just fine if you hate 87 and PGH.  It was fine for Trotz by his own admission "no penalty was called".  (Smart of Sullivan to say "no comment" in his interview.) 

What every winger, every keeper and every defenseman along with every hockey coach in every hockey league knows for certain is that if they could pick any hockey player on this planet to play for their team, 87 would be 1A, B and C.

jeff88
18 hours ago, MNice said:

Ben, that was really cool.  Impressive that everyone seemed to know the words.  Wonder if it were reversed how many in the US could have sung it.  Americans use the word Canuck - my adds to the common usage at the end of below:

"Canuck" /kəˈnʌk/ is a slang term for a Canadian. The origins of the word are uncertain.[1] The term "Kanuck" is first recorded in 1835 as an Americanism (American term), originally referring to a Dutch Canadian or French Canadian.[1][2] By the 1850s, the spelling with a "C" became predominant.[1] Today, Canadians and other countries use "Canuck" as a term for any Canadian.  (If allowable, I hereby designate the word "Canuck" to equate with "mensch", "good person", "honorable" and/or "commendable".)    

Clueless1
2 hours ago, jeff88 said:

I think someone is making this up - I follow the Pens and the local PGH sports pages and there was NOT ONE mention of any such commentary from any Penguin.  Not surprised in these days of fake news that some troll wanted to start something.  Pens players and hockey players in general are the worst interviews because they stay far away from controversial remarks.  

All over the talk shows here.  Crosby's remarks were along the lines of "I like to think he didn't do it on purpose."  Not exactly ringing endorsement.  On 93.7 sports talk radio each host went over it for about 10 minutes.  Looked back and it was Yohe that originally suggested some Pens players were questioning the intent. 

Also hearing that Crosby will play next game.  Hope it's true. 

Edited by Clueless1
Yohe

MNice
2 hours ago, Ben Hong said:

"To my mind, Nishkanen did NOT cross check Crosby intentionally. I think that he brought up his hands and stick shaft in a reflex defense/parry reaction against the falling Crosby".

If this play occurred in the opening minutes of the 1st period, no call would have been made. Never mind Crosby's stick in Holtby's grill a split second before the alleged Niskanen infraction. Like it not, it's hockey.

If anything should have been called during that play it's Ovechkin's slash to Crosby.

jeff88
19 minutes ago, Clueless1 said:

All over the talk shows here.  Crosby's remarks were along the lines of "I like to think he didn't do it on purpose."  Not exactly ringing endorsement.  On 93.7 sports talk radio each host went over it for about 10 minutes.  Looked back and it was Yohe that originally suggested some Pens players were questioning the intent. 

Also hearing that Crosby will play next game.  Hope it's true. 

This is regarding comments from Pens that Ovie shot at someone's head?  If so, I'm in TX and don't get radio reports, just read the local PGH sports pages as well as national sports stories - no mention of this in any of those publications.  Again, in talks shows and internet publication comments, there are always tons of stuff that I ignore due to people wanting to make a story out of what they want the narrative to be.  The Pens looked a bit sluggish last night, hope this is a wake up call for game 4.  When they tied the game at 2 with goals withing a minute of each other, I was psyched and in hope that they would come out in OT firing on all cylinders.  It was however the Caps who played with more desparation.

Of course I hope 87 is OK.  Also I'd hope that if there are any announcements that he will or will not play, keep it to a game time decision so the Caps will need to plan more than one way to approach Pens for lines and line changes.  On away ice, they have to react.

Ben Hong
1 hour ago, jeff88 said:

Ben, that was really cool.  Impressive that everyone seemed to know the words.  Wonder if it were reversed how many in the US could have sung it.  Americans use the word Canuck - my adds to the common usage at the end of below:

"Canuck" /kəˈnʌk/ is a slang term for a Canadian. The origins of the word are uncertain.[1] The term "Kanuck" is first recorded in 1835 as an Americanism (American term), originally referring to a Dutch Canadian or French Canadian.[1][2] By the 1850s, the spelling with a "C" became predominant.[1] Today, Canadians and other countries use "Canuck" as a term for any Canadian.  (If allowable, I hereby designate the word "Canuck" to equate with "mensch", "good person", "honorable" and/or "commendable".)    

Jeff that is righteous! I'll take it.

Dogwood

Wouldn't be playoff hockey without controversy now would it. Keeps the fans more engaged. Maybe it's an NHL marketing ploy.

BTW Cindy Crosby is NOT a dirty player.  Just stop it!

Clueless1

Just announced Crosby not playing tomorrow. 

Big Al

Of course most people don't want Crosby or most other players hurt.  He's a target for haters because the league made him the poster boy while ignoring other great players.  In my mind Ovi is the one at fault for the play.  Blatant slash that caused Sidney to lose his footing.