Hockey Tonight

Hoping for a good game tonight or at least a good 1st period before I go to bed. 

• Replies 264
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• jeff88

• Ben Hong

• Big Al

• dogrunner

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

What is surprising about the difference in playoff hockey vs regular season is that you would think with more eyes on TV screens the NHL would want to showcase talent, speed and the beauty of the game

Jeff your appreciation of the Canadian cultural influences in producing sensitive, tough and superbly athletic people is pretty bang on, but my Christ even we have to be constantly vigilant to prevent

If they assessed penalties with the same standards in the playoffs that they do in the regular season, I believe that there would be fewer of these incidents.  IMHO by "letting them play" something as

Wingels literally skates on an intentional head shot to a defenseless player.  Next time anyone hears Bettman talk about player safety and/or mentioning anything to do with concern for concussions in hockey you are welcome to join me in a big laugh.  

2-0 but they haven't looked good since the second goal. They need to keep there foot on the Gas. 

Preds 5-3. Real glad to see the Slashing Ducks ousted, but really really happy to see the Preds getting to the last dance for the Cup. Go PK!

19 hours ago, Longrifle said:

Just wait, they're almost gone

They won't be joining the Hurricanes just yet!B|

1 hour ago, Britlab said:

So proud of our Preds 

Who sang the anthem last night?  There was even a discussion about that on Outlaw Country on XM.  Caught the last period, Preds fans sounded insane.  Good for them and their 1st trip to The Cup finals.

Nashville will never be the same if they are anything like PGH during our 1st Cup run.  Turned the 'Burgh into a maximum hockey town.  In five to ten years some of your local kids will be wearing NHL sweaters on NHL ice!  It happened in Pittsburgh.  Umberger, Saad, Malone to name a few.  Malone even got to play for the Pens.

I knew the Malone family quite well. Ryan's father Greg used to be a standout player in his university days in our home town, that whole family was "salt of the earth" type people. Good folks.

54 minutes ago, Ben Hong said:

I knew the Malone family quite well. Ryan's father Greg used to be a standout player in his university days in our home town, that whole family was "salt of the earth" type people. Good folks.

Definitely remember him as a player.  Seems like a lot of Pens stayed in Pittsburgh to raise their families after their careers, even when they left the Pens for other teams.  Also I used to play racquetball with a Pen named Jim Paek.  "Jimmy" won two Cups back then.  He was born in South Korea and the family moved to Canada.  He was a very cool guy and extremely friendly; I had a couple of chances to socialize with him.  In one ladder was Jim, Jack Ham and Matt Bahr, Jack and Matt were from the Steelers.  Jim and Matt became fairly regular opponents for a while.  Jim is now the National team head coach in S Korea.  He looks like he could still play.

One thing that these professional athletes have that is uncanny is a 1st step reflex that cannot be believed until you see it right there.   Their fast twitch muscles are off the charts.  Jack Ham's reflexes are even higher than the others -- it was as though he knew two steps in advance where to be.  Their hand/eye co-ordination is insane.  On my best day I could beat Matt and come close to Jim's game but never anywhere near to Jack Ham.  

Jimmy Paek!  WDVE loves him still!  If you can find WDVE Mario they are classic! 

32 minutes ago, Clueless1 said:

Jimmy Paek!  WDVE loves him still!  If you can find WDVE Mario they are classic! 

Man, 'DVE, 'TAE, Savran, Mikey Lange...I have been away from the civilized sports world since 2000 when we moved to Texas.  Have to look for that.  BTW, Jim Paek was ecstatic being with the Pens back then.  

WDVE Mario with Sid's 25th birthday is funny.  Sid was still living in Marios house at the time.  Another is Sid's return from a concussion.  Mario isn't worried about Sid because he's putting Mike Tyson as his left winger and James Harrison as his right winger.  Classic stuff. 

Jagr weather is another classic from back in the day, not sure if they have any of those, I'm going to have to look them up. 

The way this NHL conversation is evolving reminds me why a lot of people think that it is tops as a sport and the reason why is that the players have a small town mentality, even if they have never set foot in a small town. I don't think I have ever met an NHLer who was less than friendly. I met a lot of them; Guy Lapointe was may seatmate from Montreal to Calgary once when he was one of Calgary's bird dogs, The cabin crew had to shush us up for having too much fun. The Rocket used to play these charity Old Timers games every year. Very quiet, almost shy, until I spoke rural Quebec French to him, oh wow, different man. Played catch with Bobby Hull in the summer of 63. Army vs local yokels, I was in the army at the time. I could write a book.

Speaking of Ryan Malone.  After he left the Pens he played in Tampa for about four years.  I always liked him.  He had a way of aggravating the opponent without being a goon. He would usually skate away smiling.  Unfortunately his game deteriorated quite fast and his last couple of years weren't good.  With one game to go in the 2014 regular season he was arrested for drug possesion and DUI.  It was an unfortunate end to his time in Tampa.  He signed with the Rangers that fall but he just didn't have it anymore.