• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• jeff88

• Ben Hong

• Big Al

• dogrunner

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

What is surprising about the difference in playoff hockey vs regular season is that you would think with more eyes on TV screens the NHL would want to showcase talent, speed and the beauty of the game

Jeff your appreciation of the Canadian cultural influences in producing sensitive, tough and superbly athletic people is pretty bang on, but my Christ even we have to be constantly vigilant to prevent

If they assessed penalties with the same standards in the playoffs that they do in the regular season, I believe that there would be fewer of these incidents.  IMHO by "letting them play" something as

16 hours ago, Wet Dog said:

Had never heard these - well after my time in PGH.  Hilarious!  Believe WDVE was KQV FM back in my younger daze when they did what they called "Album Rock" in the 60's.  After I left in 2000 on trips back it was wild to see how many radio stations changed formats and which ones were broadcasting sports.  

Loved the game.  Pens dominate possession but run into a hot Anderson.  We've got ourselves a game 7.  Go Sens.  Not holding my breath though.

The NHL has to address the reffing.  Of course that is something that has been needed for about six decades.  It would be a good start If they would be honest with the fans and admit there is a different rule book for the playoffs than then there is for the regular season.  A rule book that eliminates interference, cross checking and holding.  Unless of course the ref decides to call it on a whim.  Last night's officiating was laughable and both of those refs should never see the ice again.  Non calls on both sides.  Yes I know Crosby was mugged and it shouldn't have been allowed.

After watching Crosby get mugged I was incredulous that they called the Hainsey interference.  They really need to start grading these guys like the NFL and MLB do.  It's got to come from the top though. 

Jeff88, WDVE has been around since the 70's I believe.  If you left in 2000, you had to have heard Jagr Weather at some point.  He could barely speak English at all, was an 18-19 year old goofy kid.  Someone had the idea to have him read the weather one day and a classic was born.  Everyday they would do the "Jagr Weather" and it was always the same forecast.  

He's about the same age as me.  I will never forget being in college watching them win the Cup the first time.  The next night every news station led with Jagr celebrating, drunk off his a** in a Pgh bar.  He wasn't 21, and I and the rest of the city all knew that.  There wasn't a cop in Pgh that was about to do anything about it.  I remember taking a drink of my beer (remember we were the same age:ph34r:) and loudly proclaiming that he wasn't 21!   

20 minutes ago, Clueless1 said:

After watching Crosby get mugged I was incredulous that they called the Hainsey interference.  They really need to start grading these guys like the NFL and MLB do.  It's got to come from the top though. 

Jeff88, WDVE has been around since the 70's I believe.  If you left in 2000, you had to have heard Jagr Weather at some point.  He could barely speak English at all, was an 18-19 year old goofy kid.  Someone had the idea to have him read the weather one day and a classic was born.  Everyday they would do the "Jagr Weather" and it was always the same forecast.  

He's about the same age as me.  I will never forget being in college watching them win the Cup the first time.  The next night every news station led with Jagr celebrating, drunk off his a** in a Pgh bar.  He wasn't 21, and I and the rest of the city all knew that.  There wasn't a cop in Pgh that was about to do anything about it.  I remember taking a drink of my beer (remember we were the same age:ph34r:) and loudly proclaiming that he wasn't 21!   

Jim Krenn from WDVE was a fraternity brother of mine. I think he started there in the early 90's. They had the best morning show in PGH for sure.  Jager was also notorious for driving his Camero like he stole it and made the news once for that as well.

1 hour ago, Wet Dog said:

Jim Krenn from WDVE was a fraternity brother of mine. I think he started there in the early 90's. They had the best morning show in PGH for sure.  Jager was also notorious for driving his Camero like he stole it and made the news once for that as well.

Paulson and Krenn were it.  Paulsen the brains, Krenn the humor.   All downhill after that.  The morning show is barely tolerable now. 

Saw them do the morning show 3 times while in college.  No easy feat for college age kids to show up at 6am. 

Oh, and to keep this on hockey, Let's Go Pens!  Tomorrow night will be great.  Might take the kids down to "Mario's TV".  (Had a chance at tix.  By the time I saw the text someone else had already snatched them up:()

49 minutes ago, Clueless1 said:

What was laughable was the Hainsey call, the interference was on the linesman, not Hainsey!  The high stick call was legit but there should never had been a 5 on 4 there to begin with.  Am not going to list here all the bad calls in both directions from the utterly incompetent reffing.  When even Mike Milbury says the reffing stunk, it is really bad.  NHL reffing is helpless and hopeless.

Jagr story:  During a Monday Night football game a buddy and I sat in the Pirate press box which during Steelers games at 3 Rivers was in an end zone.  We were invited to a party with free food and drinks by a client of mine and it was a blast.  Sitting in the front row of the writers seats next to me was Jaromir Jagr and on the other side of him was Sean McEachran.  Jagr kept trying to get Sean, my buddy or me to go to the bar and bring back beers for him.  Everyone in PGH knew he was under age especially bartenders.  The more we said no, the funnier Jaromir would get and Sean took great joy in turning him down.  Meanwhile during breaks we heard some great Pens stories of games and players.  One thing I heard that night was how much the Pens players disliked Tom Barrasso.  I was actually shocked by some of this stuff because the team seemed like one big happy family.  Later after Barrasso was gone, reporters started leaking out how unpopular he was.  One story was that Barrasso played golf at Sewickley Country Club and always played alone because he was a huge jerk all the time.  Anyway, it was really fun to watch the Pens having gotten to socialize a bit with them.  Sean McEachran was a very funny guy and had no airs about him.

Pittsburgh is either a small big city or a big small town.  It was never surprising to go somewhere and see Jack Lambert, John Candalaria, Franco Harris or Kent Tekulve at a bar or party.  Must have talked with Michael Keaton 3 times at Alexion's in Carnegie.  His real name is Michael Douglas and he was a really good baseball player in his youth.  Dennis Miller was radio guy who did stand-up at a local spot warming it up for a guy named Billy Elmer who never went too far but Dennis Miller sure did.  

I'm jeff88 because 88 is my favorite PGH athlete.  One night seated at a window table with my wife up on Mt. Washington at the Tin Angel for an anniversary dinner the waiter told me when presenting the bill how nice it was that we didn't disturb Lynn Swann and his date during dinner.  I said "What, Lynn Swann was here?"  The waiter said yeah, you two were back to back.  Totally blew my cover, Swann was one guy I would have had to meet.  Not long after at a charity party I did meet him and Franco Harris.

Barrasso was commonly referred to as Bar Asshole, by most of mu NHL acquaintances, including Don Cherry!

The Crosby mugging was pretty effective back in the 2005 Memorial Cup. Ron and Don showed some footage of Methot containing Crosby. The mugging I can see the refs letting go. Of course Crosby's recent chopping of Methot's finger probably didn't endear the two.

Down to one game - winner takes all. Go Sens Go!