Hockey Tonight

Anderson could put on another big time performance and steal this game too -- that's what worries me for tonight.  Am looking for a couple of Z's to get in gear tonight:  GuentZel and KunitZ.  Hope the Pens get some more guys back like Horny and Schultz especially for the PP. 

• Replies 264
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• jeff88

• Ben Hong

• Big Al

• dogrunner

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

What is surprising about the difference in playoff hockey vs regular season is that you would think with more eyes on TV screens the NHL would want to showcase talent, speed and the beauty of the game

Jeff your appreciation of the Canadian cultural influences in producing sensitive, tough and superbly athletic people is pretty bang on, but my Christ even we have to be constantly vigilant to prevent

If they assessed penalties with the same standards in the playoffs that they do in the regular season, I believe that there would be fewer of these incidents.  IMHO by "letting them play" something as

Not a peep about the Daley goal? I have yet to find anyone who thought that it was otherwise.  When the call came down I thought they might have moved the replay room from Toronto to Ottawa for the night.   

37 minutes ago, Longrifle said:

Not a peep about the Daley goal? I have yet to find anyone who thought that it was otherwise.  When the call came down I thought they might have moved the replay room from Toronto to Ottawa for the night.   

A quick google search shows they are only peeping in Pittsburgh. Text book goalie interference - shove goalie into net then score while he is on his back in the net. Nothing to complain about here. 

One game takes it all. Go Sens Go! 

25 minutes ago, Longrifle said:

Even if it was not a bad call, which is was, the worst part is that was not supposed to be review-able by challenge as it's an on the ice call only.  So many bad calls and non-calls in Ottawa went in the Sens favor.  Here's a great idea, I'm going to wrap my arms around 87, tackle him down to the ice while he is away from play so he can't get net front and do it directly in front of the ref.  And not get called on it, well, because it's Sidney Crosby.  Then when he gets up, wrap my arms around his shoulders from behind, give him a face wash while trying to poke his eye out with my bare right hand and not get called for that either.  I know I can get away with that because he's Sidney Crosby, the guy who is in every NHL TV related spot.  Eff him!

Mario called the NHL a "Garage League" during the days of clutch and hold and it has not improved since.  Head shots on unsuspecting players, that is A-OK.  If anyone thinks I'm writing that in defense of only the Pens they would be wrong -- it is wrong in every case for every team.  The game should be called by the rules of the game all the time so there truly is an even playing field.  Slashing, grabbing, head-hunting, slew-footing etc. are all punishable by penalty and/or suspension and should be treated as such every time it is seen on the ice.  No whistle-swallowing for the play-offs.  In fact, that is when calls should be made even more carefully by the best of the best refs who make it that far.  

If I were Mario, going forward, I'd withhold members of the Pens organization from any and all NHL League promotion based on game 6 alone. 

4 minutes ago, Marc said:

A quick google search shows they are only peeping in Pittsburgh. Text book goalie interference - shove goalie into net then score while he is on his back in the net. Nothing to complain about here. 

Uh, no.  Darren Pang is the only national broadcaster who said it wasn't a bad call and Pang, if you recall, was a goalie.  All the NHL Network guys said it was a BAD call.  The said it at intermission then said it again and again in post game shows.  

What is surprising about the difference in playoff hockey vs regular season is that you would think with more eyes on TV screens the NHL would want to showcase talent, speed and the beauty of the game when the best are able to get space and use it.  Instead they swallow their whistles and let goonery have it's day in the name of 'playoff hockey'.  The refereeing in this postseason has been a disgrace for a sport that pines to be 'major'.   

36 minutes ago, jeff88 said:

Uh, no.  Darren Pang is the only national broadcaster who said it wasn't a bad call and Pang, if you recall, was a goalie.  All the NHL Network guys said it was a BAD call.  The said it at intermission then said it again and again in post game shows.  

I am watching the series through our national broadcast - probably getting a different filter applied to the games.  (And I think Darren Pang is a hometown Ottawa guy - or at least played junior here.)

52 minutes ago, Marc said:

I am watching the series through our national broadcast - probably getting a different filter applied to the games.  (And I think Darren Pang is a hometown Ottawa guy - or at least played junior here.)

Marc, I heard about the call not being review-able from Kerry Fraser who used to be an NHL ref who does league related stuff these days.  He said it was a bad call and it shouldn't have been allowed to be changed.  Even Milbury didn't like it though what does he like?  Don't know where Pang is from but do know that goalies are a very strange crew and they stick together.  It was the same in my soccer-playing days, these are just different people.   (Hope I'm not offending any goalies out there, my roommate for 2 years was a goalie, I can say in some instances they can appear normal-ish.)

Anyhow, I am sticking with cheering on whomever wins the East for the finals and if that means the Sens, it's the Sens.  No team is immune from the bad reffing that allows players to take liberties and make the game as Clueless 1 writes, a disgrace.  He nailed it in the post above with comments about why the league should change.  If nothing else, it has been proven that more speed, skill and offense works for gaining eyes and interest - just look at how the NFL and NBA have changed and what that has done for the NFL in particular.  

My 1991 Stanley Cup tee-shirt is out, usually I won't bring it out until the Cup Series starts but this is not a normal game 7.  It is do or die and one team is going to be very sad.  That shirt comes form the very 1st Stanley Cup game played in the 'Burgh and sitting with my two brothers and a friend, we watched Mario going straight away from our seats split two NorthStars and while sliding down the ice on his side bury the puck.  That is a play seen on every NHL best of plays.  The Igloo was dead silent for about a second from disbelief then a long loud cheer went up like nothing I've ever heard.

Game 7 to go to the Stanley Cup.        Let's get it On!!   Go Sens. 

1 hour ago, jeff88 said:

Marc, I heard about the call not being review-able from Kerry Fraser who used to be an NHL ref who does league related stuff these days.  He said it was a bad call and it shouldn't have been allowed to be changed.

Fraser said it was a good call and a good challenge.  I also believe it was interference.  Daley pushed Anderson's skate blade and as a result he pushed Anderson into the back of the net, which prohibited him from playing the puck.  This was after the initial contact to Anderson's pad.  Watch the ice level replay and it's easy to see.

Fraser is also upset with the quality of the reffing, as we are.  Here's an interview with him about this. 

http://pittsburgh.cbslocal.com/2017/05/25/kerry-fraser-playoff-hockey-refereeing-not-acceptable/

8 hours ago, Marc said:

Go Sens Go! 

And, they're gone.  Can't ask for a better show than that.

What a game indeed! The main drama were the goaltending battles and it is really too bad one team had to lose. 

Every year at this time it is resaffirmed that the Stanley Cup is the hardest trophy in all of sports to win. It is truly a grind, and the winner actually and truly deserves the designation. 

The Preds are hurting but they still have the best goaltender and defence  still playing. Pens have Crosby. Period. 

Its funny how they play half a game without scoring then in 20 seconds a goal for each team happens.