• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• jeff88

• Ben Hong

• Big Al

• dogrunner

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

What is surprising about the difference in playoff hockey vs regular season is that you would think with more eyes on TV screens the NHL would want to showcase talent, speed and the beauty of the game

Jeff your appreciation of the Canadian cultural influences in producing sensitive, tough and superbly athletic people is pretty bang on, but my Christ even we have to be constantly vigilant to prevent

If they assessed penalties with the same standards in the playoffs that they do in the regular season, I believe that there would be fewer of these incidents.  IMHO by "letting them play" something as

15 hours ago, Big Al said:

Fraser said it was a good call and a good challenge.  I also believe it was interference.  Daley pushed Anderson's skate blade and as a result he pushed Anderson into the back of the net, which prohibited him from playing the puck.  This was after the initial contact to Anderson's pad.  Watch the ice level replay and it's easy to see.

Fraser is also upset with the quality of the reffing, as we are.  Here's an interview with him about this. 

http://pittsburgh.cbslocal.com/2017/05/25/kerry-fraser-playoff-hockey-refereeing-not-acceptable/

Good correction Big Al.  I got the Fraser info 2nd hand from ESPN NHL where it was reported he said it was not review-able.  Hoping that "fake news" is not making it to the sports pages though if it did, it would start on ESPN.  Am glad he is making a stink about the reffing.  

Don't know about you Sens fans but this Pens fan didn't sit for more than 5 minutes during the OT's.  What a great game!  Not spoken about in this thread but I believe Boucher and Sullivan have to be in the top 3 coaches in the NHL.  Anderson was better than Holtby and Bob versus the Pens, in fact, he was amazing all series long with one 20 minute belch.  And that period wasn't all him, his defense decided to abdicate net front presence to the Pens.  The Sens are a on-coming team and if they add a few forwards next year should be another great ride.  There is no shame in losing the Eastern Finals in a game 7 in the 2nd OT on your opponents ice.   

Adding Schultz really helped last night.  Kunitz had the play-off game of his life.  Ollie on the other hand kept me thinking "Whattsa Matta You???!!!"  Two, three turnovers in open ice right in front of the net???!!!! Whoa.

Preds will be well rested, the Pens will have a few days to catch their breath.  Can't see either team running away with this series.  One thing I will definitely miss is "Oh Canada" being sung during the games.  One of my favorite moments in this play-off season are the Canadians singing the Star Spangled Banner in Canada when the sound system went down.  They knew it word for word.  

3 hours ago, Big Al said:

Great game except the wrong team won.  

+1.  Dang-it all.

39 minutes ago, jeff88 said:

Not spoken about in this thread but I believe Boucher and Sullivan have to be in the top 3 coaches in the NHL.

Boucher was the Lightning coach from 2010 to 2013.  He took the Bolts to the Eastern Conf final in 2011 and lost in seven games to Boston.  Boston went on to win the cup.

I liked him and thought the 1-3-1 conversation was blown way out of proportion then as it is now.  Yzerman fired him so he could bring in Jon Cooper.  In my opinion a bad move.  If  Boucher had been coach in 2015 I believe the Lightning would have beat Chicago for the cup. 

I would love to have Sullivan as the coach of the Lightning. 

8 hours ago, Big Al said:

gosensgo_zps9fyhjoa7.jpg

Oh well.  The pup was feeling neglected anyways, time to refocus.  It was fun while it lasted.

On 5/26/2017 at 8:02 AM, Big Al said:

No, I think they did it the way they always do, most goals wins the game, best of seven wins the series.  

Plug for another topic:  If you haven't been there, check out the Memorial Day thread.

Oddly enough, on this Memorial Day for the 1st time in it's history, the Stanley Cup finals feature two American-born head coaches.  Both from one of the original 13 states to boot.

GO PENS!!!!!

Some observations about the first game of the Cup Finals:

- I don't usually gripe about officiating, but I believe that the refs did all in thei power to give Pit every break.

- my man PK played one of his finest games ever

- Pit played one of the worse games I have ever seen an NHL team play at any time. No shots for 38 minutes, none in the second period. 

- with more neutral officiating, the Preds could have won this game...easily.

- I call for the Preds to win the Cup in 7 games,  Pit sullied the game .

I don't think Sully expected Subans goal to be overturned.  I think he took a flyer thinking he didn't want to waste a timeout and that was a way to try to stop some momentum.  I sat there watching the replay for however long they looked at it and all I could think was "This is a terrible use of replay." 

Changed the game. 

51 minutes ago, Clueless1 said:

I don't think Sully expected Subans goal to be overturned.  I think he took a flyer thinking he didn't want to waste a timeout and that was a way to try to stop some momentum.  I sat there watching the replay for however long they looked at it and all I could think was "This is a terrible use of replay." 

Changed the game. 

Not sure about that -- this isn't the 1st time Sully made that call and it went well for PGH.  Read a really cool article about the video person for Nashville and if you haven't seen it believe it's on ESPN.  PGH has to have one as well.  Their main job is to breakdown video for the coaches but I'm also getting the feeling they operate in game too.  The Pred was off the ice by an inch or two which made him offside.  My guess is that Sully gets the word from his video person to challenge.  In this case there was plenty of time for someone to check and relay the message.  Am sure the teams video people are monitoring every view of the game for that to happen and there is a camera watching the blue line angles they can see.  It was the correct call, the player was offside but that would have never happened until recent times with a camera seeing every angle.  We benefit from great replay shots.

8 hours ago, Ben Hong said:

Some observations about the first game of the Cup Finals:

- I don't usually gripe about officiating, but I believe that the refs did all in thei power to give Pit every break.

- my man PK played one of his finest games ever

- Pit played one of the worse games I have ever seen an NHL team play at any time. No shots for 38 minutes, none in the second period. 

- with more neutral officiating, the Preds could have won this game...easily.

- I call for the Preds to win the Cup in 7 games,  Pit sullied the game .

Reffing has been bad all playoff's long, where were you in every other game?  Why start griping now?  Here's what's what -- the refs are swallowing their whistles a little to a lot more for the home teams, or so that appears to be the case.  It certainly was in Game 6 in the Sens/Pens series in Ottawa.  That they are swallowing their whistles is wrong to begin with but that seems to be how it's been going.  The Preds get to enjoy home ice officiating in games 3 and 4.  Will you be griping then?

No argument from me about the Pens being outplayed.  Period 2 was their worst in the entire postseason.  But don't write that the Pens sullied the game, they reduced the playoff player who every pundit lists as 1A or 1B for the Conn Smith to a save percentage that was under .7.  Preds may win every game from here on out but the Pens are exactly where they belong despite a season wracked with injuries that would eliminate most teams from even getting to the play-offs.  They are sullying nothing.

It seems like I started griping just now because I rarely do it. The reffing during last night's game was especially egregious.

Pit is supposedly the most offensively gifted team in the world, but 12 shots in a very desultorily played game? A whole period without a shot? 37 minutes without a puck near the opposing net? Let the Preds come back from a 3 goal deficit? They not only sullied the game, the had diarrhea on their bed. 

Pens played poorly and won. And I don't expect them to play any worse, which can't bode well for the Preds. Sullivan's tinkering with the lines seemed to hurt more than help. The lines just weren't in synch. Too many bad passes when they had opportunities to shoot, holding the puck too long waiting for a lane to open up, etc.  This reminded me a lot of game 1 vs the Sens.

The refs sucked the entire playoffs but last night didn't seem any worse than others. Malkin's slash, Coles roughing, and the Preds double minor that gave the Pens a 5 on 3, all seemed like legit calls so the penalties didn't seem to favor either side. Was it the non calls?  Maybe I just didn't see it because all I was seeing was how bad the Pens played for 50 minutes. 

I think the biggest difference was the goalie play. Murray was average and Rinne was terrible. Malkin and Geutzels goals were stoppable. Bonnino's goal off the Preds leg wasn't his fault but the others were soft.