• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• jeff88

• Ben Hong

• Big Al

• dogrunner

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

What is surprising about the difference in playoff hockey vs regular season is that you would think with more eyes on TV screens the NHL would want to showcase talent, speed and the beauty of the game

Jeff your appreciation of the Canadian cultural influences in producing sensitive, tough and superbly athletic people is pretty bang on, but my Christ even we have to be constantly vigilant to prevent

If they assessed penalties with the same standards in the playoffs that they do in the regular season, I believe that there would be fewer of these incidents.  IMHO by "letting them play" something as

Nashville is white hot on and off the ice.  While I hated the way the Pens played, it was pretty amazing to see a fan base all in and crazed.  This is not a jaded hockey population that one can find in cities like those of the original six, this is maybe even a cultural phenomenon.  One of my favorite call ins on the XM NHL Network radio from Huntsville, AL:  "This is Soooozie from Huntsvull, ah been thinkin' maybe they should break up the blue line playuhs a bit and spread them across all thray lines, them Pens are plenty fast ya' see."  OK, sorry, that was probably the worst Alabama accent attempt especially written but that's how it sounded to me.  Anyway, it never occurred to me that deep in the land of the SEC that ice hockey would turn on a population that much.  And that was a pretty astute point to boot.

Nashville, if you haven't been there in a while, is a very cool city.  The music scene has really expanded outside of hard-core country music into Americana, which is my favorite and judging by posts about music in the UJ in the never-ending "What are you listening too" topic, shared by many others in here.  Now before you go, don't try to buy a hockey ticket through official ticket channels because they are blocking zip codes from everywhere but the local metro area and border states.

Pens have a big challenge in front of them but they do seem to respond pretty well to a loss.  

Let's go Pens!!!!!

Another dominant game by the Preds. Lots of MIAs on the Pens team, proving once again that one or two players cannot consistently win you hockey games.

Yes now finally we have a series    Best of 3. 

MN Tonester

almost seems to be that whichever goalie plays out of his head on a particular night determines the game winner

10 hours ago, Ben Hong said:

Another dominant game by the Preds. Lots of MIAs on the Pens team, proving once again that one or two players cannot consistently win you hockey games.

Agree.  Where's Rust, Sheary, Kessel and Hagelin?  These guys really contributed last year through the entire playoffs and this year have been very spotty at best.  The only solace I can take right now is that the Pens aren't playing anywhere near they can going back to the Columbus series.  Maybe they can survive a game or two.  But they are running out of time and now in a best of three series and have not proven they can compete with any regularity.  Wonder if they are mentally gassed?  I've noticed even short passes being hard to complete.  Matta missed a wide open Crosby on a 15' pass that is the bread and butter of the Pens fast breakout capability.

Let's go Pens!!!!!

Eventually Letang shows up as missing.  That's a lot of minutes and breakouts missing. 

WTF is going on with this homer play. 5-1, 6 -0 are not and should not be  playoff scores.

Dave in Maine

Watching Crosby grind Subban's head into the ice was very satisfying.  Subban's been working up to that all through the series and it's clear from the minimal penalties issued the refs let street justice take its course.

That the Pens put it in the net during that 4 on 4 made it all the sweeter.

I had gained respect for the Pens, the team and organization during these play-offs. This version is really as close to a modern dynasty as there is. However.......not so freakin fast! Crosby is showing exactly why he is so hated in many places. What a punk and he gets away with it. Would a player on any PeeWee league be allowed to throw their water bottle on the ice and suffer no consequences? There is NO way to defend that crap. It is a shame that he is so talented and yet so immature. It is a bigger shame that the league and fans put up with it.

MN Tonester

Watching Crosby grind Subban's head into the ice was very satisfying

Crosby is showing exactly why he is so hated in many places. What a punk and he gets away with it. Would a player on any PeeWee league be allowed to throw their water bottle on the ice and suffer no consequences? There is NO way to defend that crap. It is a shame that he is so talented and yet so immature.

agree with both these sentiments.  I am amazed by Crosby's talent, but bothered by his buffoonishness (if such a word exists).  Did not understand why Forsberg was the only one penalized for roughing, not that it mattered in the end.  Subban had it coming, as the commentator noted

1 hour ago, Tom Avent said:

I had gained respect for the Pens, the team and organization during these play-offs. This version is really as close to a modern dynasty as there is. However.......not so freakin fast! Crosby is showing exactly why he is so hated in many places. What a punk and he gets away with it. Would a player on any PeeWee league be allowed to throw their water bottle on the ice and suffer no consequences? There is NO way to defend that crap. It is a shame that he is so talented and yet so immature. It is a bigger shame that the league and fans put up with it.

No one is saying a peep in PGH about a dynasty anywhere near the Pens organization.  And this series is not over by any stretch.

Crosby didn't throw anything on the ice on purpose.  What the cameras showed was he was gesticulating with the water bottle and it came out as he was wearing game gloves.  Those gloves are not the best for grasping things other than skinny hockey sticks.  If you want to b!tch about Crosby, this is not the subject.  Personally I was glad that Crosby turned Subban into a bobble head.  Subban lost his stick, tackled Crosby by the leg and tried to bring him down.  Of course this is right in front of a linesman who's whistle is halfway down his gullet.  Like many other opponents, PK neglected to calculate that 87 is an ox.   I've seen 87 yank much bigger players down to the ice with one hand, even wearing his hockey glove ;).   Keep calling 87 a punk, a buffoon, whatever, I love it, Pens fans love it.  Know that outstanding hockey people like Mike Babcock would completely disagree with you.  Then ask yourself Tom, if he was a Cap, would you be saying the same thing?  

I think it was because Forsberg bumped the goal tender that started everything, but I don't understand it either. Guys from both sides were throwing punches. They're letting a lot of roughing and cheap shots from both teams go.

I don't like Crosby throwing the water bottle on the ice either.  But with all the bigger infractions not being called, I think it says more about the refs.  Seems like every scrum someone's getting punched and they're turning a blind eye to stuff that could end someone's playoff or even their career.

Subban was on top of Crosby's stick and holding on to Crosby's ankle.  I would have done worse. 

The best are either loved or hated.  No real gray area.  Crosby fits in there.  Either way, 5 years after he retires he has a date in Toronto.

It always amazes me that the 'hockey purists' will let the goons and lesser talented get away with whatever they want in the name of 'playoff hockey' with a wink and a nod, but the second a superstar engages back they jump all over him.  As if there is honor in getting through a bunch of cheap shots and general irritation and 'getting under his skin'.  But the second that person decides to irritate back those same purists are aghast.