Hockey Tonight

Wow, your last paragraph is smack on the money.  Why would a league put in a plan to impede it's best players?  Look at the NBA for instance, when Jordan took flight with all those amazing dunks, suddenly traveling was no longer being called.  The NHL reffing confuses the analysts, the coaches, the players and the fans -- only Bettman seems to be able to interpret the reffing.  This makes the "moving" strike zone in baseball look like a nit.  Back in the day when Crosby didn't retaliate and barked at the refs to call the game correctly, he was labeled a "whiner".  Now that he's given up on the refs and is taking matters into his own hands, he's a "punk".  Me?  I'll take Crosby the Latter.  If the refs can't control the trogladytes, good to see a skilled player be able to defend himself.  Cheers to everyone who has called him a whiner for sticking up for his team as their captain or a punk for unceremoniously yanking fouling opponents to the ice.  Thank you!

LET'S GO PENS!!!!!

• Replies 264
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• jeff88

• Ben Hong

• Big Al

• dogrunner

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

What is surprising about the difference in playoff hockey vs regular season is that you would think with more eyes on TV screens the NHL would want to showcase talent, speed and the beauty of the game

Jeff your appreciation of the Canadian cultural influences in producing sensitive, tough and superbly athletic people is pretty bang on, but my Christ even we have to be constantly vigilant to prevent

If they assessed penalties with the same standards in the playoffs that they do in the regular season, I believe that there would be fewer of these incidents.  IMHO by "letting them play" something as

I thought it was funny because the ref was standing  10 feet away from Crosby and never moved the whole time.  

I was not complaining about the punches to Subban. The refs have obviously left it to the players to police themselves. I actually applaud Crosby for knowing what the current game is and playing within it. It is such a shame that the league and refs let this type of hockey be played at this point. I think it takes away from the game. I just did not like the throwing of the water bottle. However, I would never try to attempt to figure out what someone else was thinking. Was it an accident? I don't know.

I know one thing......even watching these gooned up, un-officiated games of hockey during the Stanley Cup run is better than 1 second of NBA or NFL. 

If it were anyone other than 87 slamming PK's head on the ice, he would have been tossed. That was dangerous. How do you define head shot again? I am a great admirer of 87, but that was uncalled for.

Great game to end the season. The winning goal was a fluke, but they all count. If he isn't already, Sid the Kid will be included in any conversation about the top five hockey players ever to lace 'em up! I am OK with that.

On 6/8/2017 at 6:52 PM, dogrunner said:

Let's go Preds. 

They gone. This wasn't the Pens steamroller team of last year, but they found ways to patch it together.  Strange trading big margins at home, but this one was more of a thriller.  Good to see Hagelin go from a healthy scratch to making an impact and putting the icing on the cake. Good on Hainsey, first playoffs ends in his name on the cup.  Still liked Malkin for the Conn Smythe, and my grinder MVP is Matt Cullen, 40 years old and still an iron man.  Can't wait until next year.

MN Tonester

disallowed goal on a fast whistle soured things a bit; but the refs tried to make it up (it seems) by calling a few more penalties on Pitts - to no avail.  Great game - I only wish it would have gone one more.

9 hours ago, Longrifle said:

They gone. This wasn't the Pens steamroller team of last year, but they found ways to patch it together.  Strange trading big margins at home, but this one was more of a thriller.  Good to see Hagelin go from a healthy scratch to making an impact and putting the icing on the cake. Good on Hainsey, first playoffs ends in his name on the cup.  Still liked Malkin for the Conn Smythe, and my grinder MVP is Matt Cullen, 40 years old and still an iron man.  Can't wait until next year.

:(

Believe this Pens team to be their grittiest and gutsiest of their 5 cup winning teams.  Would have preferred seeing the Conn Smythe go to Fleury and Murray as a shared trophy - that position won this cup.  Since both can't be picked, happy if either Crosby or Malkin won it.  What makes this team so outstanding is their coaching, leadership and management.  Somehow Jim Rutherford keeps finding just the right spare parts with tight cap numbers.  Having a hockey legend like Lemieux as an owner is an unusual bonus, he has instant credibility and stays out of the limelight until it's time to lift the cup well after everyone else has.  Sullivan and staff coaching is the best in the league - no one is bigger than the team.  Sully squeezes a ton of talent out of every player.  Across the river, Coach Tomlin loves to talk about "next man up".  He doesn't have to look very far to see the team that really embodies that spirit.  No team hit the playoff's with fewer starters intact than these Pens.  The top goalie goes down in the 1st game warm-ups!  Leadership on this team is also best in class.  Kunitz, Malkin, Crosby, Cullen - they know how to win, how to be great at the right time and yet be humble about their personal achievements.  

My favorite post game interview was with Chris Kunitz - he he said was sorry the season ended.  He really wanted to keep going as he enjoyed the team and camaraderie that much.  I'm a bit sad this ends too.  Two months of watching the best game at it's highest level is such a great treat.  As much as I wish the Pens win it every year, I also wish your teams win one because if you haven't experienced your team go through a winning Cup run, there ain't nothing like it.

I want Mario to hire a fashion consultant.  Can't watch one of my idols in that coat.

• 3 weeks later...

Just weeks after the season ends, trade deadline not finished yet we get the power rankings for next year already!  We all know it's to get eyes on the site but since they published this and got my eyes, might as well weigh-in.  Here's the top 10:

team logo
Penguins
The champs. Again. Looking for a three-peat, they deserve the benefit of the doubt. They have the ultimate blend of veteran star power, big-play youth and a long-term No. 1 goalie. 1 50-21
team logo
Blue Jackets
Their early playoff exit was not pretty. But John Tortorella's lineup should be even more dangerous with Artemi Panarin in the fold. 2 50-24
team logo
Oilers
How can you not be excited about what's going on here? Connor McDavid won't have Jordan Eberle's support, but the Oilers are still scary. 4 47-26
team logo
Ducks
Keeping Patrick Eaves around should make for some nice offensive chemistry. 2 46-23
team logo
Blackhawks
Brandon Saad will probably do well back in the Windy City, just as Patrick Kane and Jonathan Toews hoped. But are Kane and Toews enough to keep running the show anymore? 2 50-23
team logo
Predators
They have such admirable depth, and if Pekka Rinne hadn't faltered on the road, they would probably be going for a repeat title in 2017-18. Still, it'll be hard to top their playoff run. 9 41-29
team logo
Capitals
Re-signing T.J. Oshie was smart, but for eight years and $46 million? Maybe not. This team needs new life, not a mirror image of the unit that keeps coming up short in the postseason. 6 55-19
team logo
Canadiens
Jonathan Drouin should give the offense some explosiveness. The question is whether Montreal is giving up too much long-term blue-line talent to get that explosion. 3 47-26
team logo
Maple Leafs
Year Two of Auston Matthews? This should be fun. 7 40-27
team logo
Senators
Like the Preds, their defensive grit made them surprise contenders. They need more consistency to get as far as they did in 2016-17, however.

My argument is the Sens deserve better.  I'd have them at #2, move the Blue Jackets to 3 and put the Caps to 4.  Then the Preds and Hawks reverse their order and I'm good to go.  Believe the East is better than the West and one of their teams should win the Cup again.  

Before the Lightning traded Drouin I would have called foul on this list but now that they have a big hole in the top six and power play I don't know what to expect from them.

Yeah, seems too soon to have a list like this.  If they were really brave, they's publish the list they made last year and compare/contrast to what really happened.  To me, the Sens at 10 wasn't right, they took the Stanley Cup winner to double OT in a game 7 on the road.  Why they are underestimated by this listing makes no sense.

• 2 months later...

Thirty one more days for the season to begin.  Can't be soon enough.  The Lightning missed the playoffs so I haven't seen them play since early April.  Healthy Stamkos here we come.