Hockey Tonight

Something wrong with the Preds they only won five in a row.

Ducks better wake up or they'll be golfing before they know it.

Go Caps!!!

• Replies 264
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• jeff88

• Ben Hong

• Big Al

• dogrunner

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

What is surprising about the difference in playoff hockey vs regular season is that you would think with more eyes on TV screens the NHL would want to showcase talent, speed and the beauty of the game

Jeff your appreciation of the Canadian cultural influences in producing sensitive, tough and superbly athletic people is pretty bang on, but my Christ even we have to be constantly vigilant to prevent

If they assessed penalties with the same standards in the playoffs that they do in the regular season, I believe that there would be fewer of these incidents.  IMHO by "letting them play" something as

Sigh, once again the Caps are doomed to an early golf seasom. Pretty pathetic really, but stuff happens to teams over and over and over. Just one of those flukes . Sorry Tom.

On 4/26/2017 at 10:38 AM, Pomoxis said:

My take on Kessel is that he has finally grown up. I remember when he came in to the U. He has had that "I'm better than anyone else on the ice" attitude then and it followed him to Boston and Toronto. Can a leopard change his spots? Maybe....

The rumor mill was interesting on Kessel's college choice.  Coming from the Madison area there was pressure on coach Eaves to sign him.  The rumor mill has it that he and his parents told coach Eaves that if he would change his system to a more offensive approach, he might consider the Badgers.  Can you imagine the gumption of telling the coach to change his system. Obviously Minnesota or Michigan was a better fit for Kessel and fortunately for Minnesota they also got his sister.

Thanks Ben. Well.....I was right and I was wrong. The Caps started in complete Beast mode and completely dominated the first period. They should have crushed them, but Fluery was amazing. The Pens are not a team that you can let hang around like that. It will bite you. Give the Pens(Fleury) credit for weathering a fierce storm. So unfortunate that a goalie of Holtby's caliber picks the biggest stage to throw up on himself. I know it is 4 games and not 2, but looks like the Pens are on their way for a repeat.

On 2017-04-27 at 1:18 PM, jeff88 said:

Brad, this is politics free!  Really, it is!

Found this great article about tonight's Caps/Pens hair pull that says a lot about being a die hard fan:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/dc-sports-bog/wp/2017/04/27/the-one-speech-i-wrote-for-obama-that-i-didnt-believe-in-praising-the-penguins/?tid=pm_sports_pop&utm_term=.bbded238c426

It took a few days for me to come around to reading this, but Jeff this is probably one of the most entertaining and well crafted articles any where, any time, I have ever read. It conveyed just enough anguish as an anti Pens fan, and more than enough sour tongue in his literate cheeks to make it a masterpiece. Thanks for posting it!

On 4/30/2017 at 9:16 AM, Ben Hong said:

It took a few days for me to come around to reading this, but Jeff this is probably one of the most entertaining and well crafted articles any where, any time, I have ever read. It conveyed just enough anguish as an anti Pens fan, and more than enough sour tongue in his literate cheeks to make it a masterpiece. Thanks for posting it!

For those who still may have interest, this is written by a die-hard Caps fan who hates the Pens but had to write Obama's talk when they visited him with The Cup.  As Ben writes above, it is very entertaining.

This also fits perfectly in one of my favorite sports themes of enjoying it when others hate your team.  I know, maybe weird, but when you think about it, it's the ultimate compliment.

On 4/30/2017 at 7:39 AM, Tom Avent said:

Thanks Ben. Well.....I was right and I was wrong. The Caps started in complete Beast mode and completely dominated the first period. They should have crushed them, but Fluery was amazing. The Pens are not a team that you can let hang around like that. It will bite you. Give the Pens(Fleury) credit for weathering a fierce storm. So unfortunate that a goalie of Holtby's caliber picks the biggest stage to throw up on himself. I know it is 4 games and not 2, but looks like the Pens are on their way for a repeat.

Tom, I agreed with your bold prediction after Game 1, it sure looked that way to me too.  Caps bludgeoned the Pens and the puck seemed like it was 75% in the Pens defensive end.

During the 1st intermission in Game 2 this is a text I sent my brother:  "Fleury = WOW!  Hope the Caps are in their locker room wondering what the heck they have to do!"  MAF was like spiderman.  That period could have ended 2 - 0 Caps up and I would have been thankful that was it.  Seemed like they ran low on gas and drive in periods 2 and 3 where the Pens looked like they shot out of a cannon.  Huge change in play from there on out.

Don't blame Holtby too much, he watched his back-up give up 2 goals in the 3rd.  The likely Vezina Trophy winner in round 1 didn't do any better.  Nor did 4 outstanding goalies in last year's Cup run.  Right now, and man I hope this stays intact, MAF is not just the best performing goalie this year in the playoff's, he's my MVP.  Things could rapidly go south for any team including the Pens but if this holds, he's been the biggest difference.

As my new friend Reilly writes:  GO PENS!!  :)

Staying within hockey, but on a bit higher plane. Enjoy, if I can get this to work.

Can someone help post my attachment. It's worth it!

www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/nhl/oilers-star-spangled-banner-1.4092866

Tom Avent

Ok....I have written this several times and deleted it each time. This time I'll take a different tone. I'll ask you what you think instead of offering my opinion.

What do you guys think of the report that several of the Pens players accused Ovi of hitting Heinsy in the head with the puck on purpose the other night?

2 hours ago, Ben Hong said:

Staying within hockey, but on a bit higher plane. Enjoy, if I can get this to work.

I think I'll give the Edmonton fans a standing ovation. 

I've watched the replays and it doesn't look intentional to me.  Hainsey was between Ovi and the net.  One thing we know for sure is Crosby nailed O'Reilly in the nads on purpose.  Were the Pens players upset about that?

Hockey play in a hockey playoff game. Suck it up buttercup. Not digging for nuts like Lucic and Marchand.

2 hours ago, Ben Hong said:

Saw that and forgot to post . Now that's a neighbor to the North ! Classy !!!!!

Hoooo boy!!!! The Caps had the game, 2-0,  wrapped up with 2 mins. to go. Pens pulled MAF, scored once, then scored again. 2-2 into OT. In OT Pitts gets early penalty and the Caps scored the winner. How do you spell R E L I E F ? Did the Caps ever dodge one. WOW!!!

More exciting than this year's Super Bowl.