• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• jeff88

• Ben Hong

• Big Al

• dogrunner

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

What is surprising about the difference in playoff hockey vs regular season is that you would think with more eyes on TV screens the NHL would want to showcase talent, speed and the beauty of the game

Jeff your appreciation of the Canadian cultural influences in producing sensitive, tough and superbly athletic people is pretty bang on, but my Christ even we have to be constantly vigilant to prevent

If they assessed penalties with the same standards in the playoffs that they do in the regular season, I believe that there would be fewer of these incidents.  IMHO by "letting them play" something as

Guys, I am stepping back from this conversation for a bit. Right or wrong there is a man, that is a human being, hurt here. Regardless of the sweater he wears he is injured, and with his history of concussions, it does not augur well for him. Partisan allegiance is one thing but this should not be a case of blaming the injured for whatever he has done in the past or how much he whines. A diagnosed concussion is not something the injured would falsely whine about.

If he is sidelined for any length of time then I, for one, would rue that day as the marker of something valuable lost . I like to watch the very best in sports and Crosby is the best we've got right now in hockey.

4 hours ago, Big Al said:

Of course most people don't want Crosby or most other players hurt.  He's a target for haters because the league made him the poster boy while ignoring other great players.  In my mind Ovi is the one at fault for the play.  Blatant slash that caused Sidney to lose his footing. 

Not to mention Crosby never wanted the poster boy carp.  According to every interview he's had, every other player is better and/or made the play he was somehow involved in.    

With his history of concussions I'm surprised he's still playing at all. 

Tom Avent
1 hour ago, Ben Hong said:

Guys, I am stepping back from this conversation for a bit. Right or wrong there is a man, that is a human being, hurt here. Regardless of the sweater he wears he is injured, and with his history of concussions, it does not augur well for him. Partisan allegiance is one thing but this should not be a case of blaming the injured for whatever he has done in the past or how much he whines. A diagnosed concussion is not something the injured would falsely whine about.

If he is sidelined for any length of time then I, for one, would rue that day as the marker of something valuable lost . I like to watch the very best in sports and Crosby is the best we've got right now in hockey.

Ben, well said. Once again, it pains me to say this as a long time Caps fan, but Crosby is the best in the world right now and the Pens and NHL would be less if he is not playing. I just hope the series does not get ugly to the point that it hurts the games and I hope he gets back soon.

There is no other sport that can come even close to matching the sheer intensity, fierceness, and speed of the NHL. The slash that Ovi gave Crosby before he went down seems to be common place in these play-off games(if you watch the video carefully you will see what pushed Sid off balance was contact with Ovi's skate, not the slash). Of course, I am a Caps fan, but even if I wasn't, I would still say the Niskanen hit was just an unfortunate hockey play. Heck, Sheary is in concussion protocol and he and got hit by friendly fire. It's the nature of the game.  

If they assessed penalties with the same standards in the playoffs that they do in the regular season, I believe that there would be fewer of these incidents.  IMHO by "letting them play" something as subjective as penalty assessment becomes even more subjective, the stick work and unnecessary rough play escalates, it favors defense over offense, and increases the risk of injury.  Who wants to see the stars out with injuries regardless of who they play for.

14 hours ago, Reeba said:

If they assessed penalties with the same standards in the playoffs that they do in the regular season, I believe that there would be fewer of these incidents.  IMHO by "letting them play" something as subjective as penalty assessment becomes even more subjective, the stick work and unnecessary rough play escalates, it favors defense over offense, and increases the risk of injury.  Who wants to see the stars out with injuries regardless of who they play for.

+1

Nicely stated.

My passion for hockey, any hockey, runs as deep as that for hunting and bird dogs. When either is on the cuff of impending reckless abandon, I walk away. I do not enjoy or tolerate a poorly trained gun dog or hunting companions that compromise either safety or game. Hockey is no different!

Tom Avent

There is an interesting sentiment developing here. While I love the intensity and desperation of play-off hockey, I did feel an uneasiness watching the game the other night, especially after you watched Crosby being helped off the ice very visibly shaken. I agree with Reeba that the officiating should be more consistent with the regular season. There seems to be rampant slashing and hits away from the play. Heck, these guys are human and the temptation to "fight back" is very strong, 

It's fun to be a fan, but some of the back and forth and "news" reports have gotten out of control. It's hurting the game. Just my opinion

vagrousehunter
16 hours ago, Reeba said:

I totally agree.  It makes me crazy when one of the talking heads says " that may be a penalty in the regular season but not in the playoffs".  Plus, I hear that the refs don't want to make a call that may change the game.   Don't they realize that by not making the call they've changed the game ? 

vagrousehunter
1 hour ago, Tom Avent said:

There is an interesting sentiment developing here. While I love the intensity and desperation of play-off hockey, I did feel an uneasiness watching the game the other night, especially after you watched Crosby being helped off the ice very visibly shaken. I agree with Reeba that the officiating should be more consistent with the regular season. There seems to be rampant slashing and hits away from the play. Heck, these guys are human and the temptation to "fight back" is very strong, 

It's fun to be a fan, but some of the back and forth and "news" reports have gotten out of control. It's hurting the game. Just my opinion

Yes, sir.   I am a long time, die hard, Caps fan but I hated seeing Crosby being helped off of the ice.  I worry about his long-term health plus I would rather see the Caps win or lose against a fully-manned Penguins team.  I am the eternal pessimist and do not think that the Caps will beat the Pens in any case but, if they happen to beat the Crosby-less Pens, it would take some of the luster away from the victory.  Don't get me wrong, I'd still be thrilled if they somehow happen to win the series. 

Tom Avent

Ah.....my Caps are done. NO WAY they(anyone) can beat the Pens 3 in a row. I do feel the Caps are cursed. How else can you explain the second goal(off Orlov's skate)? How else do you explain a goalie that was virtually washed up coming out of nowhere to stand on his head to make unbelievable stop after unbelievable stop. Cursed I tell you.

Unfortunately, this is also probably the end of an era. The Caps will be forced to completely retool. I would hate this, but it would make sense to move Ovi. It would be poetic justice for him to finally get a Cup somewhere else.

This also may mark the end of my involvement with spectator sports. Too much stuff to do to waste time watching someone else. Kind of tired of it. 

MN Tonester

This also may mark the end of my involvement with spectator sports

Over the last couple of years I've found myself watching PGA tournaments almost to the exclusion of any other type of sports (never watch NBA; watch some of the NFL playoffs; the occasional MLB game and the playoffs and world series).  I guess I'm tired of all the juiced up tatted prima donnas in pro sports

58 minutes ago, MN Tonester said:

Over the last couple of years I've found myself watching PGA tournaments almost to the exclusion of any other type of sports (never watch NBA; watch some of the NFL playoffs; the occasional MLB game and the playoffs and world series).  I guess I'm tired of all the juiced up tatted prima donnas in pro sports

...add college football & basketball to this list -- very few colleges field actual student/athletes in these sports.  Look at the sidelines of many perennially top 20 football teams, you'll see 70 to 90 people that have no business being anywhere near a University.

The difference has definitely been the goal tending.  I have to admit it seems like the caps have out played the pens but Holtby can't make the saves they need. Once we get a goal he seems to fold and can't make a big stop. I'd feel bad for Ovenchin not getting deeper into the playoffs but he hasn't been a factor this round. He needs to help his team more before I have any sympathy.  

Even though I hate Niskanin now and would like to see him pay, hats off to the pens for not retaliating.