Hockey Tonight

MN Tonester

Even though I hate Niskanin now and would like to see him pay, hats off to the pens for not retaliating.

Perhaps they realize there was no malicious intent

• Replies 264
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• jeff88

• Ben Hong

• Big Al

• dogrunner

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

What is surprising about the difference in playoff hockey vs regular season is that you would think with more eyes on TV screens the NHL would want to showcase talent, speed and the beauty of the game

Jeff your appreciation of the Canadian cultural influences in producing sensitive, tough and superbly athletic people is pretty bang on, but my Christ even we have to be constantly vigilant to prevent

If they assessed penalties with the same standards in the playoffs that they do in the regular season, I believe that there would be fewer of these incidents.  IMHO by "letting them play" something as

2 minutes ago, MN Tonester said:

Perhaps they realize there was no malicious intent

perhaps you're right

Ovechkin played like he wanted to be anywhere but on the ice for the last 2 games. I love the guy's abilities but he didn't showcase them this playoffs. What a waste. 

Trade dreams...Holtby, Big O, 2 first rounders, 2 prospects for Carey Jesus Price, Pacioretty and Beaulieu. Straight up.

Whoops...just woke up.

1 hour ago, Wet Dog said:

perhaps you're right

Under Sullivan, the Pens play the same way no matter what.  The players appear to be very focused on their scheme and do not deviate.  87 has played much better under this plan and has bought entirely in and the rest of the team has followed his leadership.  Believe there was no overt retaliation because that is not how the Pens play.  When Sully joined, he put in place a system of speed and skill, not of of size and force.  Their objectives are: 1. goals  2. owning the ice in front of the goalie  3. focus only on their game.   So far, so seems to work OK.

BTW, if the Pens can win this and move on, they appear to have a goalie who can carry them.  MAF is my PGH MVP thus far.  Malkin not far behind.  

4 hours ago, Tom Avent said:

How else do you explain a goalie that was virtually washed up coming out of nowhere to stand on his head to make unbelievable stop after unbelievable stop. Cursed I tell you.

Tom A., know how you feel.  Tom Brady, a 6th round draft pick and his Pats beat the Steelers like rented mules.  Cursed, for sure.

Meanwhile, as much as Brady has tortured my team, he remains one of my favorite athletes and I put him up there with Federer, Jeter, Polamalu and Crosby as all time greats of their sports in our generation.  

Grouse Gunner
20 minutes ago, Ben Hong said:

Ovechkin played like he wanted to be anywhere but on the ice for the last 2 games. I love the guy's abilities but he didn't showcase them this playoffs. What a waste. 

Trade dreams...Holtby, Big O, 2 first rounders, 2 prospects for Carey Jesus Price, Pacioretty and Beaulieu. Straight up.

Whoops...just woke up.

ovechkin is injured. that hit in the first series did more damage then he is letting on. 

Longrifle
6 hours ago, jeff88 said:

...add college football & basketball to this list -- very few colleges field actual student/athletes in these sports.  Look at the sidelines of many perennially top 20 football teams, you'll see 70 to 90 people that have no business being anywhere near a University.

My take on this is why don't we have minor league football?  Go straight from high school to developmental leagues just like all the other sports seem to have.  Move the football goons off campus and let "real" college athletes play.  I'm sick of the 350 pound 25 year olds on the defensive line that can't read, playing for the best team money can buy, under the nose of the NCAA, which is raking millions while supposedly the athletes are uncompensated. Minor league football would be a great draw in cities to small for big market NFL, Oklahoma City, Albequrque, Portland, Birmingham, Raleigh, Salt Lake, Memphis, San Antonio, there's a starting league right there.  I remember how well the USFL was doing out of the gate until they tried to take on the NFL directly and imploded.  College fans will still watch their teams, NCAA wouldn't lose revenue, they would just have to put up with some Cinderellas once in a while.

And all the uncalled cross checking and slashing in ALL of the NHL playoff games I have watched has been hard to endure, even when I don't have a dog in the fight it's obvious there has been a change that has expanded the gray area, and too many players are getting hurt.  There have been some hits that have made me cringe; no call, play on, rub some ice on it from the zebras.  

15 minutes ago, Longrifle said:

My take on this is why don't we have minor league football?  Go straight from high school to developmental leagues just like all the other sports seem to have.  Move the football goons off campus and let "real" college athletes play.  I'm sick of the 350 pound 25 year olds on the defensive line that can't read, playing for the best team money can buy, under the nose of the NCAA, which is raking millions while supposedly the athletes are uncompensated. Minor league football would be a great draw in cities to small for big market NFL, Oklahoma City, Albequrque, Portland, Birmingham, Raleigh, Salt Lake, Memphis, San Antonio, there's a starting league right there.  I remember how well the USFL was doing out of the gate until they tried to take on the NFL directly and imploded.  College fans will still watch their teams, NCAA wouldn't lose revenue, they would just have to put up with some Cinderellas once in a while.

And all the uncalled cross checking and slashing in ALL of the NHL playoff games I have watched has been hard to endure, even when I don't have a dog in the fight it's obvious there has been a change that has expanded the gray area, and too many players are getting hurt.  There have been some hits that have made me cringe; no call, play on, rub some ice on it from the zebras.  

Great note!  In an interview about QBs in the NFL, Bill Parcels literally called colleges the NFL's farm teams.  He was complaining that the college game wasn't producing the right kind of NFL QB anymore.  The NFL and NBA could not only have farm teams that turn a profit by locating them is 2nd tier cities, they could provide an opportunity for younger players to get what they most want which is a paycheck.  For those who value and education more than a paycheck, there would be college sports.  That would also end the yammering about being paid as alleged student/athletes.  I think the NHL has it right - farm team-ers, college players or players straight to the NHL.  Looking at the Pens, there are all three of those paths taken to get to the 'Burgh.  

Pierre to Barry Trotz:  "Barry assuming you have a neck, what size collar do you take?"

Barry:  "Well Pierre I'm not sure but up until tonight it's been to tight."

Tom Avent

OH THE AGONY.........the Caps pulled me back in after the win Saturday night. I just know this is going 7 games only to have my heart ripped out of my chest AGAIN. Exciting stuff. Should be another nail biter tonight.

Not to worry Tom.  Putting Ovi on the third line has solved everything.

Tom Avent

Really Al? The Caps have played 11 games in the post season so far(6 vs. the Leafs) and only scored more than 3 goals twice. Once was Saturday night after they mixed up the lines. The top line scored twice(Burakovsky and Backstrom). Ovi scored on the 3rd line. 

I'm not making any predictions because the Caps have hurt me too many times to count. I will also say that the Pens are scary good and it will take almost a complete miracle to pull this off and beat them 2 more times.

However, I did watch the game Saturday night........what were you watching?

I have seen the Caps outplaying the Pens in every game.  The difference is a back up goalie has played like a Vezina winner and the current Vezina goalie has played like a back up.  It had nothing to do with the lines.  Once Fluery came back to earth the Caps had their way.

Having five other forwards playing more minutes than Ovechkin is not a good strategy.

The Caps are leading 3-0 with 8 mins to go in the game. Pitt have shit the bed when they could have taken the series at home tonight. Can you spell schizophrenic?