Jump to content

Hockey Tonight


Recommended Posts

Pulling for an all-Canadian final!!  Don Cherry would go nuts!

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 264
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

  • jeff88

    57

  • Ben Hong

    44

  • Big Al

    29

  • dogrunner

    20

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

What is surprising about the difference in playoff hockey vs regular season is that you would think with more eyes on TV screens the NHL would want to showcase talent, speed and the beauty of the game

Jeff your appreciation of the Canadian cultural influences in producing sensitive, tough and superbly athletic people is pretty bang on, but my Christ even we have to be constantly vigilant to prevent

If they assessed penalties with the same standards in the playoffs that they do in the regular season, I believe that there would be fewer of these incidents.  IMHO by "letting them play" something as

Nervous as a cat for tonight.  Pens gave away the series in Period 3 during game 5, didn't even show up for game 6.  They've looked like a team that can't up-shift their game, maybe they've just run out of gas and/or injuries have taken their toll.  Caps have continued a pounding on them that started with the BJs.  Hope they can get their game going tonight to at least give the Caps a bit of a run.  If they can't play with speed, they are doomed.  Still, we PGH fans have hope for a team has represented the city very well for a long time.  

 

GO PENS!!!!

Link to post
Share on other sites

I hate to say this, but the worst thing in the world for the NHL would be an Edmonton/Ottawa Cup Final. Even though it would mean the Caps are eliminated, I kind of hope it happens and the NHL chokes on it. It is a complete crime that the Pens and Caps are playing against each other in this high stakes game in the second round. The 2 best teams in the league this year deserved better than this. They should be meeting in the conference finals. The current seeding format is CRAP.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Tom, I always held to the tenet that you play withe the hand you are dealt. Now that the Eastern conf. finals are set, no one could have realistically predicted the outcome that will see Ott. in it....or even the injury riddled Pens. I for one am pumped to see the Oilers go far...against the Pens in the Cup Finals:D9_9

Link to post
Share on other sites

The Caps got beat by a better team. The Pens are deeper, more talented, AND play the game the way it needs to be played to win a Cup. Despite the Caps efforts to bolster the bottom 6 and improve defensive speed, the Pens are the better team. I would wager that the Pens would have been the number 1 seed, but the wear and tear over 2 seasons with long Cup runs is very hard with the salary cap situation.

 

The Caps DNA is rooted in the European game. While many of their top players are very talented, they just don't play the game the same way. I am horse today from screaming at the TV for those guys to shoot the puck. It seems they always want to make 1 more pass. 

 

Of course, there is the CURSE. How else can you explain the play of Fluery. He pretty much stole the game last night by standing on his head in the first 5 minutes. If the Caps get at least one to go in during the onslaught, it is a different outcome. They didn't and they go home today.

 

Congrats to the Pens. I will not be watching anymore this year. Too painful. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Damn was hoping for the Caps, now I guess go Preds. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

FYI.....it was just reported here that Ovi will not play in the Worlds. Apparently, he has a "lower body injury" that he was being treated for with pain killing injections. I'm assuming it was from the Kadri hit in the first round. Explains some things.

Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Tom Avent said:

FYI.....it was just reported here that Ovi will not play in the Worlds. Apparently, he has a "lower body injury" that he was being treated for with pain killing injections. I'm assuming it was from the Kadri hit in the first round. Explains some things.

Tom, Ovi's injury was evident from his play. Normally he is a bull in a china shop, all balls and reckless abandon, after the Kadri hit he was all eggshells and grimaces. I said to a friend that he was hurt and will require surgery... from the grapevine.

 

Now my hope is for a Pens/Preds final. Go Subbie dooby doo!

I hope that when he wins the Cup, Subban gets to show it off in the Montreal Children's Cancer Ward, to which he has donated 10 Million$. PK was scapegoated by Michel Fucking Therrien, the coach at the time, for his own shortcomings in intelligence, coaching abilities and his deep seated rural Quebec racism. I know all about this mentality, I grew up amidst their politely concealed xenophobia.

 

While I am on a rant and roll, I have been a Habs fan since 1953 and in that time I have met, shaken the hands of half of the Hall of Famers on their roster, and in a couple of memorable cases, fished walleyes and pike, shared a beer or three with a couple of bon vivants. One question that I and all loyal fans have eternally asked is why is it that the Habs trade away some of the their best defencemen (except the Big 3), in their time? Doug Harvey, Tom Johnson, Carol Vadnais, Leon Rochefort, Matt Schneider, Rod Langway, Van Boxmeer, Chris Chelios, Ron Hainsey, Brian Engblom, Sheldon Souray, Mark Streit, Eric Desjardins, etc ad nauseam! The latest is the great Ryan McDonagh of the NYR, who was drafted ahead of PK and never played a game for the Habs.

 

It's a wonder that I am still a Habs fan!

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Tom Avent said:

The Caps got beat by a better team. The Pens are deeper, more talented, AND play the game the way it needs to be played to win a Cup. Despite the Caps efforts to bolster the bottom 6 and improve defensive speed, the Pens are the better team. I would wager that the Pens would have been the number 1 seed, but the wear and tear over 2 seasons with long Cup runs is very hard with the salary cap situation.

 

The Caps DNA is rooted in the European game. While many of their top players are very talented, they just don't play the game the same way. I am horse today from screaming at the TV for those guys to shoot the puck. It seems they always want to make 1 more pass. 

 

Of course, there is the CURSE. How else can you explain the play of Fluery. He pretty much stole the game last night by standing on his head in the first 5 minutes. If the Caps get at least one to go in during the onslaught, it is a different outcome. They didn't and they go home today.

 

Congrats to the Pens. I will not be watching anymore this year. Too painful. 

Thanks for posting this very nice note.  Am still in a bit of disbelief today, thought the Caps had the Pens number this series and would roll over them at home.  Glad the Pens won but am highly impressed with the Caps coming very close to taking away this series after being down 3-1 in games.   You're right, Fleury just seems to have it going right now.  That's two pucks from Ovie off the top of his stick's shaft in playoff games!  Haven't looked at the final stats yet but if the Caps didn't outshoot the Pens by nearly double, I'd be surprised.  Also agree with your post about the illogic of these teams having to play in round 2.  The seeding in the East should have been Caps, Pens, CBJs for 1, 2 and 3 spots to start the Cup run.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/10/2017 at 1:25 PM, Big Al said:

Can Ducks swim in Oil?  Can Penguins fly?

No and no, but both can skate.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Ben Hong said:

It's a wonder that I am still a Habs fan!

Ben....it's probably going to get worse for you guys up there. The Leafs are going to be scary good next year.

Link to post
Share on other sites
springerguy

Was sorry to see the Oilers out due to McDavid, but he will take them far.  Just look what has happened to that team in just the short time that he has been there...

 

I'm very happy this evening!  The Erie Otters won the OHL Championship!  On to the Memorial Cup in Windsor beginning May 19th.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Stayed up to the bitter end to see PK and the Preds survive the criminal assaults by the Ducks and stick it to them in OT. Insomnia is cured. The talking heads say that this is playoff hockey but Getzlaf and the Ruptured Ducks are thugs.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now



×
×
  • Create New...