REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UPLAND JOURNAL Read more... ×
MAArcher

Plantar Fasciitis - How'd you deal with it?

MAArcher

After turkey hunting Saturday, my right foot started to ache.  I thought it was just all the walking around.  By bedtime, even after a few stiff drinks, it hurt to much to sleep much.  By morning the paid was unbearable so I went to the clinic and the doc took some xrays to rule out fracture and said it was Plantar Fasciitis.  I've never heard of this condition before.  Anyone have to deal with this?  How'd you get better?  

mister grouse

Buy this..CVS Plantar Fasciitis Night Sock....sleep in it .  Fixed mine relatively quickly.  If it recurs, sleep in it some more.  

CzechSM

Used to have it all the time....in both feet. A hunting buddy said I walked like Frosty the Snowman melting... I usually could get about 100 yards into a walk and it would start to loosen up and feel better. Time usually cured it. A frozen water bottle rolled under the arch of your foot usually helped short term. When I had my right foot rebuilt they did a procedure .... a plantar fasciotomy  to loosen it up. 

MAArcher

How did you sleep?  I've only had about three hours of sleep in the last two nights.  The doctor at the clinic gave me a prescription for Diclofenac that doesn't do anything for the pain.  How long did it take to heal?  I assume there's varying degrees of this.  I'm pretty much incapactated.  I cant get around without crutches and it hurts to do that.  Soaking my foot in ice water is the only relief, but that's just seems like I'm swaping the pain of the Fasciitis for the discomfort of frostbite.

gunsrus

Someone here recommended ''SuperFeet'' . My pain was unbearable so I ran around the corner to Dick's Sporting goods and bought a pair . Two days later the pain was totally gone and that's been two years now . They work . 

Yukon1

After suffering with this for a year I finally decided to go to an orthopedist. It had gotten so bad that I was convinced I had a broken bone somewhere. He did the x-rays to rule out a break and confirmed a diagnosis of PF. Here is what he recommended. I followed every bit of his advice and within a few weeks it was gone, (again after suffering with it for a year). 

1. Night Splint. He didn't recommend any one particular brand but I went with an Active Ankle Dorsal Night Splint. It will take a couple of nights to get used to it but eventually you will be able to sleep with it on. 

2. He gave me a few exercises for stretching the calf muscles and Achilles tendon. I did these several times a day and also before and after engaging in activities like power walking, jogging, hiking or hunting. 

3. Frozen water bottles to roll under the foot after activities.

4. Replace all old footwear with new supportive footwear . He explained that one of the biggest causes is wearing old footwear long after the support is gone.  

One other thing I did in addition to the above was to wear the Superfeet green inserts in my boots and shoes. Those took awhile to get used to but helped a lot. 

The hardest part for me was being diligent with the stretching exercises but keeping the calf muscles properly stretched makes a big difference. Also, by closely following the advice of my doctor I was able to avoid shots and surgery. Every once in a great while a little bit of pain comes back, very minor, but I just go back to the stretching exercises and then it's gone.  

Best of luck to you, PF is no fun at all...

Clueless1

I was fortunate that buying a few arch supports at Dicks sporting goods worked within a week or two. 

Virgil Kane

Superfeet green inserts in ALL shoes, stretching calf muscles and a night splint or orthopedic boot to stop you from pointing your toes down when sleeping.

The above worked for me in a few weeks after suffering for years with this.  Also like recommended, throw away all your old and worn out shoes and boots.  They aggravate the situation and if you think your cured old shoes will bring back planter fasciitis FAST.

Virgil

Craig Conroy

I experienced it once.  The cure was to throw away the 6" Chukka style boots I was wearing for work.  I really liked them, too, but apparently I had damaged the arch support in one, and it took a bit for me to figure that out.  Haven't had it since, but now I'm ruthless when I feel my boots aren't holding up their end ;).

NW River Mac
8 minutes ago, Virgil Kane said:

Superfeet green inserts in ALL shoes, stretching calf muscles and a night splint or orthopedic boot to stop you from pointing your toes down when sleeping.

The above worked for me in a few weeks after suffering for years with this.  Also like recommended, throw away all your old and worn out shoes and boots.  They aggravate the situation and if you think your cured old shoes will bring back planter fasciitis FAST.

Virgil

Yep.

bennelli-banger

i battled it for a year or more about 6-7 years ago...one thing i don't EVER do is walk around, even in the house, without shoes on that have tacco arch supports...about $15 per pair...they are in every pair of shoes or boots that I own...early on I did do the exercises/techniques listed above...

jeff88

Am also cursed with PF.  Good advice above, no need to pile on.  No more running for me.  To stay in shape and not mess with my foot too badly, I walk fast, use an exercise bike but mostly use the ellipticall machine.  My orthopedist sent me to a store to be fitted for a proper exercise shoe where it was recommended I use the Hoka 11 Conquest 2.  (The 3 is out now but not needed and a lot pricier.)  This shoe provides arch support, cushioning and a stable platform to keep my foot from rolling outward when I take long walks.  Trouble is, they come only in the butt ugliest colors.  Am on my 2nd pair and they work great but hate the look.

Now when I hear someone use the term "waiting for the other shoe to drop" I get plenty worried.  One is bad enough!

CountryLife

I've dealt with planar's on and off for years.  As a marathoner, I've discovered that you can work through and recover.  All the good tips are covered above, but to recap:

• Accept the fact that you need to spend a decent amount for good shoes/boots.  Re-evaluate all of your shoes and don't settle for anything that aggravates your condition. Lots of info online about various brands/models that help your planar's.
  • Do the exercises.
  • If you experience pain, don't continue the activity.  Give it time to heal.
  • Research inserts for your shoes.  

It's not impossible to bounce back, just use the precautions mentioned and stick with it.  

Big Al

Had it about ten years ago. Added arch supports to my footwear and stayed of my feet for a few days.  It was totally gone within two weeks and has not returned.

Painful stuff.

boutdoors4

Had it a couple of years ago, bought new shoes and some naproxen with a few exercises my doctor recommended and in a few months it went away