REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UPLAND JOURNAL Read more... ×
MAArcher

Plantar Fasciitis - How'd you deal with it?

Steve Hunts

Best stretch for calves- Find a clear spot where the floor and a wall adjoin. Get on your back and slide your butt as close to the wall as possible with your legs and feet going vertically up the wall. Relax and breath normally so you don't tense your back. Point your toes back at your head gently. A slight bend in the knees isolates the calves better,. Do this for 10-20 minutes if possible.

Birdcountry70

As has been mentioned By stevehaun,   low heel boots and shoes helped me out.  My feet feel better after walking around barefoot as arch support allows my tendons to shrink up and tighten.  If I wear shoes with too high of arches or boots with too much heel,  my feet often feel fine until I take them off and then going barefoot is brutal until my tendons stretch out again.  My thinking is that supporting the arches with high artificial supports is what causes/allows the tendons to shrink and tighten in the first place. It sounds like most feel otherwise so maybe I'm wrong.  On the other hand I haven't had symptoms for 8 years and over the last 2 days hiked about 18 miles through the mountains on a bear hunt and the only thing bothering me is my  knee.  Whatever works I guess. ☺ 

Fishnfowler

I've treated hundreds of cases of this.  About 8 years ago I had a case for about 2 years.  In a casual conversation with my orthopedic colleague, we were joking about it and he predicted I would "have it forever."  This was said with a laugh.  I got rid of mine by going backpacking in the Salmon river after chukar.  It only took 6 days and It hasn't bothered me since. I'm thinking my threshold for pain was readjusted and I still have it, I just can't detect it over the rest of the screaming pains.

mccuha

I have had it in the past and like you guys have said it's not fun. also the remedies already mentioned are the cure. A good friend of my is a Dr. and he told me that the reason I was having this problem was 2 things: flip flops( no arch support) and worn out shoes( my nemesis and again because the arch support is worn out). Since then I wear neither and have not had any more problems since then.

Coveyrise64

I've had issues with PF several times so I can appreciate the pain. The problem I'm dealing with now is just as painful and the symptoms are similar. After I've been in my boots for any length of time or any shoe for that matter and set down for a period of time when I get up the first several steps are absolutely painful. The pain radiates from the top of my foot near the ankle, across the top of the arch and down the side of the foot.  This has been going on for the last couple of years and handicapped my hunting. Been to a Podiatrist who did the custom orthotics thing but they haven't really helped. Seems there is nothing scientific about how the orthotics are fit or how they the molds are taken but he assured me I should have seen immediate relief. Not happening so he prescribed Mobic for the inflammation which hasn't done much either. Open for suggestions if anyone has experienced the same.

cr  

steveziv

Stopped wearing LL Bean "Crocs" and it promptly went away.  Can't attest 100% to the connection but it seemed pretty direct.  A few years later I started wearing Croc's brand from time to time but it didn't come back. 

settem

I'm another fan of Superfeet, but for the last couple of years I've been happier  with the blue Powerstep insoles, they are in all my shoes and boots. 

Lots of good advice here on keeping everything stretched, no going barefoot, and no high impact exercise. 

dogrunner

I never felt superfeet were that super, still don't. Plenty of other kinds out there I like better. 

MAArcher
11 hours ago, Birdcountry70 said:

2 days hiked about 18 miles through the mountains on a bear hunt 

That sounds worthy of its own post, pics and details!

mister grouse

I originally reccomended the night time socks which locks your foot in a healing position with ankle locked at @ 90 degrees .  Compare that with the night brace but a fraction of cost.  Fwiw.  I have had custom inserts in all boots and shoes for 30 years, but the PF flaired up badly from my wading boots (even  with inserts) which I'm in maybe 120 days a year now.The socks were a wonder -drug kind of a fix for me.    For the cheap cost of the socks you might get the same relief I did and in a short time.  its what i call a no-brainer to at least give a  try for your situation. . 

quailguy
On 5/9/2017 at 7:49 AM, stevehaun said:

Nearly all maladies of the foot result from wearing shoes. We evolved to walk barefoot - not with a 1" heel and narrow toebox limiting movement of our forefoot.  Heels result in shortening of the achilles tendon.  Narrow toe boxes squeeze our toes together.  All the treatments listed above, icing, stretching, splinting, orthotics, insoles will work to heal plantar fasciitis.  However, "supportive" shoes and orthotics act as a splint.  Splints are temporary measures and will weaken the foot over time.  To prevent plantar fasciitis, you need to strengthen the foot.  This is best accomplished by not wearing shoes.  You can start by not wearing shoes in the house and gradually expand you horizons.  For outdoors, find a shoe that is flat and has a generous toe box.  Lems shoes would be one example.  Gradually wean off daily use of orthotics and inserts.  

Walk barefoot outside around here and you'll have REAL problems. Snake bite, fire ants, cactus, grass burrs with thorns like steel. scorpions, 8 inch long centipedes from hell I guarantee you don't want bitting you. Not always a real good idea to go barefoot. Hell I wear slippers inside because of the scorpions.

I wear custom snake boots outside; stepped on a coral snake several months ago right next to the steps. I've just missed getting bitten by rattlesnakes around the house more times than I can remember.. Go barefoot hell. That depends on where one lives.

rattlesnakemet9mm.jpg

Roger the Rattlesnake After Meeting Up With my Browning Pistol in the Yard.

dogrunner
25 minutes ago, quailguy said:

Walk barefoot outside around here and you'll have REAL problems. Snake bite, fire ants, cactus, grass burrs with thorns like steel. scorpions, 8 inch long centipedes from hell I guarantee you don't want bitting you. Not always a real good idea to go barefoot. Hell I wear slippers inside because of the scorpions.

I wear custom snake boots outside; stepped on a coral snake several months ago right next to the steps. I've just missed getting bitten by rattlesnakes around the house more times than I can remember.. Go barefoot hell. That depends on where one lives.

rattlesnakemet9mm.jpg

Pretty sure Roger would cure you. After a bite by him you would forget about your other foot problem. :D

gunsrus
1 hour ago, quailguy said:

rattlesnakemet9mm.jpg

I don't think I could convince the wife to move there .

mshowman

I just returned from the DPM and it appears I've joined the group. I have had foot problems for a couple of years but it got a whole lot worse while I was in FL about a month ago. According to the good doc, walking in the sand for 6 or 7 miles per day in Crocs is a bad thing. He prescribed exercises and fitted me for shoe inserts. He said my new Brooks running shoes are excellent but told me to lose the Crocs. 

quailguy
7 hours ago, gunsrus said:

I don't think I could convince the wife to move there .

Honestly I'm not scared to go outside and wander around. I do wear custom snake boots 100% of the time outside. Its the damn hogs and javelina to p**** me off; I've been charged once by a feral hog and in 2016 by a javelina. They both paid the price.

65ed183a-2193-49ca-990a-b54666bd1479_zps

You can see where this javelina SoB fell, right in the back yard. He's laying on a garden hose with my old F250 in the background. You never need a pistol until you need it bad.