REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UPLAND JOURNAL Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
Islander

Used Subaru Forester vs Crosstrek

Islander

I have been looking at Subaru's for a number of years now as they just seem to fit my lifestyle (upland hunting, kayaking, hiking etc) and my needs for a fuel efficient, reliable, vehicle.  So yesterday I was down at my local Subaru dealership and test drove a 2015 Crosstrek (that year's most basic model) with 13,000kms on it.  I really did like that little car (or whatever the hell one would call it) but I feel like it's almost too small for myself. Might go back in today to test drive one of the three used Foresters they have in.  Two are 2014s and one is a 2015. All three Foresters are in the $21,000-22,000 (Canadian dollars) range.  Except for one of the 2014s with 60,000kms the other Foresters are in the 40,000km range.  So for those UJers that have Foresters or Crosstreks, if you were in my shoes what vehicle would you go with?  And for those who have Foresters/Crosstreks from those model years, do you like those vehicles and have you had any issues (the oil consumption issue looms in my head),  Thanks all    

MN Tonester

the last two times I've looked for a vehicle I've looked at the Forrester.  I like the concept of the vehicle but ended up with a Nissan Rogue and a Ford Escape.  The first time around the overabundance of plastic on the interior had me looking elsewhere and the next time around, the dealership wouldn't deal.  there's enough competition out there that I didn't feel the need to be married to one vehicle.  next time around, I'll probably look again at a Forrester because everything I've heard about them is otherwise very good

L Kenney

With the Forester you get more inside room, a bit higher seating position, far better visibility to the rear, a larger engine that eats the same amount of gas, and a bit better towing capacity.

steveziv

I drove a Forester loaner for a week.  Feature by feature I liked everything about it.  But somehow it was less than the sum of its parts.  Despite the bells and whistles the interior seemed stripped down and plain and when driving I felt like I was perched up on a kitchen chair.  Kind of like driving a van come to think of it.  I liked the seating and cockpit of the Outback a lot more.  Again, it checked all the boxes but just didn't do it for me.

WyomingArt

Had only one Forester. My wife liked it , felt safe driving it in the snow with 4 studded snow tires. We lived up a long narrow canyon road with spotty plowing.

With the seat folded down, It would hold 2 guys, 3 smaller dog crates, guns, water and gear for a days hunt. It was just adequate on two tracks,   IIRC there was about 7 " clearance.

It would pull a drift boat trailer, but didn't have good traction on slippery boat ramps. When climbing mountain passes with a light DB and trailer it was under powered. I drove it on  a couple 1600 mile trips, seating comfort was OK, not great.

Windrider

We owned a forrester.  Great car and fun on forest service roads.

It was however the vehicle that taught me to get real 4wd.

Islander

Thanks for all the information guys.  Test drove the Forester last friday and while I did like the car, I think I'll be waiting a while before jumping in on one.  Might wait until next year and see if I can't pick up a used 4runner.

garyRI

In 2015 I looked at the Crosstrek but bought a new Forester. I'm 6'1" and the Crosstrek's driving position felt a little too squeezed. I didn't want to find out after a 5 hour drive that the Crosstrek was uncomfortable for a long trip.

This winter bought a used Outback.

Imprezzas are a good deal. To me a Crosstrek is just an Imprezza with more ground clearance but I occasionally find myself hunting and fishing off crappy logging roads.

A 4Runner is in a completely different class and price point. A bunch of my friends, including my best hunting buddy, have them & all are very happy.

Reilly Auld

My wife bought a new forester last year. On long trips the seat is very uncomfortable for a tall guy. 

She is pleased with it overall. 

DAP

We have a 2015 forester, about 65,000 miles.  Burns about a quart of oil every 2500 miles.  

Don Steese

I just bought an 05 Baja, which is Subaru's attempt at a mini pickup. Got it from a mechanic who just replaced the blown  2.5 turbo motor with a 2.0 turbo. Motor has 55,000 on it. Old motor blew the turbo at 130,000 which deep sixed the engine. While he had it apart he replaced the clutch and the front axles. So far I like it and if I ever don't like it, I can probably get what I paid as these things are apparently good sellers?  I have no idea why as they're pretty worthless as a pickup truck??  A dog crate will fit though so I'm good!  It's pretty comfortable, but I won't be driving it across country and at 3600 lbs, it should be a dream to tow behind the moho.

Clueless1
1 hour ago, Don Steese said:

I just bought an 05 Baja, which is Subaru's attempt at a mini pickup. Got it from a mechanic who just replaced the blown  2.5 turbo motor with a 2.0 turbo. Motor has 55,000 on it. Old motor blew the turbo at 130,000 which deep sixed the engine. While he had it apart he replaced the clutch and the front axles. So far I like it and if I ever don't like it, I can probably get what I paid as these things are apparently good sellers?  I have no idea why as they're pretty worthless as a pickup truck??  A dog crate will fit though so I'm good!  It's pretty comfortable, but I won't be driving it across country and at 3600 lbs, it should be a dream to tow behind the moho.

I had an 06 Baja for about 3 years.  Loved it.  Only problem was it got too small once my son started hunting with me.  Archery equipment, small game stuff, dog, etc all in that car was just too much. I also wanted a topper for it, so I could put the dog crate back there.  Found out the topper was going to be around $3k.

Now that my kids are getting towards driving age they are trying to talk me into getting another one that can be both of theirs.    

Dogwood
2 hours ago, Don Steese said:

Sure you can tow an AWD vehicle  Don without screwing up the drive train?

FlyChamps

My wife and I are on our third Forester.  I had a 2004 and we now have 2011 and 2013's.  Overall they are the best vehicles we have ever owned.  The 2011 burns about a quart of oil each 2500 miles but that is a non-issue for me - I actually check the oil in our vehicles.  The 2013 burns about 1/2 quart in 6000 miles.  I'm 6' 3", 185 pounds and I find it comfortable enough - in fact, I'm going to drive the 1200 miles each way in the 2011 to NH's Northeast Kingdom this year to grouse hunt in the late fall.  

In 2009 we took the 2004 and towed a small 1500 pound travel trailer on three vacations from Columbia SC to Greenville ME, Navajo Dam NM and Key West FL.  A total of 10,500 miles without any issue.

I hate driving large vehicles and have no desire to have a large SUV or truck, for us the Forester is the smallest vehicle that meets our needs so it's the one we chose.  I know how to drive the big ones - I obtained my school bus drivers when I was 16 and drove a 67 passenger bus 84 miles every school day of my senior year in high school (for $35 a month).  In the army I served in a Pershing Missile battalion and was licensed to drive the M-474 tracked vehicle and all of our wheeled vehicles from the M-151a1 (jeep) to the XM-757 8x8 tractor.  In fact, I was one of the sergeants who gave the road tests to drivers new to Germany.  Did I mention that I hate driving large vehicles?

Don Steese
4 hours ago, Dogwood said:

Sure you can tow an AWD vehicle  Don without screwing up the drive train?

Yep, the standard shift models are flat towable. There's a list of towable vehicles that comes out every year and stick shift Bajas are on the list.